Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Old 11-22-14, 12:42 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sad part is that many are picking this up as "news", including CL front page.
A very similar article was written in Australia's largest print auto magazine that was published over a week ago.

Basically, Toyoda wants more sporty products catered to a youthful market ie. coupes/convertibles, whereas the US dealer network had a hissy fit and wants the dev $$$ to be spent on bigger and more SUVs. Basically they want different things.

I know who I'd want to win in that from a car enthusiast point of view.
Old 11-22-14, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
A very similar article was written in Australia's largest print auto magazine that was published over a week ago.

Basically, Toyoda wants more sporty products catered to a youthful market ie. coupes/convertibles, whereas the US dealer network had a hissy fit and wants the dev $$$ to be spent on bigger and more SUVs. Basically they want different things.

I know who I'd want to win in that from a car enthusiast point of view.
problem with that is that Lexus does not lack resources to have to limit themselves to one car. I would suppose that development for CC is already completely done. Same goes for big SUV - they trademarked TX long time ago. To suggest that RX couldnt fit 7 seats due to platform is idiocy, in the same sense that suggestion of LS based TX is idiocy.

Then they said how GX has poor sales - when opposite is true... that article is completely incorrect in everything it has written in it.

Australian and UK papers usually post this kind of rubbish - MT probably took over their article. Reminded me of that rumor (really a lie) that they posted years ago about FR-S Turbo being just around a corner.
Old 11-24-14, 12:37 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
1) 2) GX 460 isnt selling? They're moving about 2k of them a month post-refresh.
Then they said how GX has poor sales - when opposite is true... that article is completely incorrect in everything it has written in it.
The GX 460 is still selling well...last year 2013 Lexus sold 12,136 GX's and YTD (Jan-Oct) 2014 Lexus has sold 17,935. I project Lexus will sell over 21K GX's this year....the GX is not selling poorly...so far the GX is outselling the LS, LX and CT...
Old 11-24-14, 02:32 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

problem with that is that Lexus does not lack resources to have to limit themselves to one car. I would suppose that development for CC is already completely done. Same goes for big SUV - they trademarked TX long time ago. To suggest that RX couldnt fit 7 seats due to platform is idiocy, in the same sense that suggestion of LS based TX is idiocy.

Australian and UK papers usually post this kind of rubbish - MT probably took over their article. Reminded me of that rumor (really a lie) that they posted years ago about FR-S Turbo being just around a corner.
Actually Akio just drove a FR-S Turbo recently when he visited Australia

GX actually sells pretty poorly in all markets except for US/Middle East. Pretty much every other market has stopped offering the vehicle due to this.
Old 11-24-14, 04:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nights
Actually Akio just drove a FR-S Turbo recently when he visited Australia

GX actually sells pretty poorly in all markets except for US/Middle East. Pretty much every other market has stopped offering the vehicle due to this.
GX sells superbly in the USA... for US magazine to say that it sells poorly, is just wrong info. And GX usually isnt even sold in other places, because LC200 is cheaper than it, unlike the US, where LC has price much higher than GX. Bascially GX cant compete with cheaper LX (LC).

So do you also believe that RX could not fit 3 row seats due to platform? (Even if Highlander can, on same platform :-)).
Or do you believe that TX will be built based on LS chasis? Thats just lies.

So, out of 4 statements in that article, we know for a fact that 3 are straight up lies and made up completely out of thin air.
Old 11-24-14, 05:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

GX dropped their MSRP by $5000 and refreshed it. Sales doubled
Old 11-24-14, 09:00 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GX sells superbly in the USA... for US magazine to say that it sells poorly, is just wrong info.
Superbly?? Maybe it's selling well relatively to its own recent lackluster sales, but it's far from superb. Nowhere near the peak of GX sales when it first launched in the U.S. ~36,000 total units in 2004.

Range Rover Sport has nearly matched the sales volume of the GX while commanding a price over $20,000 more expensive than the GX.

BMW X5 has more than doubled GX sales volume, yes with a two engine strategy, but average price is still above that of GX.

Even Audi Q7, one of the only models even older than the GX, basically unchanged since 06, has sold nearly as many as GX. Once a new Q7 debuts, would have to believe that it would pass the GX in sales.
Old 11-24-14, 10:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i call that hitting the sweet spot
Old 11-24-14, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

GX dropped their MSRP by $5000 for a stripped version with less features than a corolla, and refreshed it. Sales doubled
fixed. if you want an actual luxury GX, it's over $60K
Old 11-24-14, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fixed. if you want an actual luxury GX, it's over $60K
i think at most comparable trims, the facelifted gx are still a bit cheaper (or unchanged) from before
Old 11-24-14, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think at most comparable trims, the facelifted gx are still a bit cheaper (or unchanged) from before
maybe so but it's another strange packaging setup. just looked on lexus.com/gx and they're not even mentioning the driver assistance package at all now, so it seems like features like lane warning and adaptive cruise (available on mainstream vehicles now) are not available at all?
Old 11-24-14, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i won't be surprised. lexus has never been that good in offering options and choices
Old 11-24-14, 02:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe so but it's another strange packaging setup. just looked on lexus.com/gx and they're not even mentioning the driver assistance package at all now, so it seems like features like lane warning and adaptive cruise (available on mainstream vehicles now) are not available at all?
The Driver Support Package is available, and mentioned on the site, but it also says "Special Order" and since we all know how much Lexus loves special orders... haha

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/packa...-special-order
Old 11-24-14, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Superbly?? Maybe it's selling well relatively to its own recent lackluster sales, but it's far from superb. Nowhere near the peak of GX sales when it first launched in the U.S. ~36,000 total units in 2004.

Range Rover Sport has nearly matched the sales volume of the GX while commanding a price over $20,000 more expensive than the GX.

BMW X5 has more than doubled GX sales volume, yes with a two engine strategy, but average price is still above that of GX.

Even Audi Q7, one of the only models even older than the GX, basically unchanged since 06, has sold nearly as many as GX. Once a new Q7 debuts, would have to believe that it would pass the GX in sales.
yes, their sales went up 2.5x after a facelift, i would say thats good. GX has a big competitor in RX, which has YoY growth in its last year on market. Not to mention that GX is based on truck chassis - not really best base for this market.

In any case, them saying it sells poorly is simply wrong, its currently one of the fastest selling Lexus vehicles. Only ones that are better are new NX and RC. Probably makes them a lot of money too.... after all it sells 2x better than combined LS and LX, other 2 cars long in the tooth.
Old 11-25-14, 12:18 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i call that hitting the sweet spot
Lexus can do that with the GX since it has a higher profit margin to begin with. Lexus has stated the GX is very profitable even though it's a slow seller.

If Lexus were to drop their MSRP by $5,000 and refresh the ES and RX or the rest of the Lexus lineup sales would double or more than double but it would most likely hurt profit margin...so that may not necessarily be hitting the sweet spot...

Last edited by Trexus; 11-25-14 at 10:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015