Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

It was obvious to me that the Camry LE was built down from a more premium model -- most obviously the XLE but it is not a stretch to think that it was, in fact, built down from the Avalon or ES. Toyota built the Camry LE by taking away bits and pieces of "luxury" (some interior trim, fog lights, etc.) from the XLE, but the underlying car was built for the XLE and Avalon, so it is good.

The Avalon, when it was introduced some 20 years ago, was actually built up from the Camry. It was a slightly stretched Camry with a little more weight, a smoother ride, a bench-seat/column-shift option, and lower noise level....essentially a Japanese Buick LeSabre. (I shopped with some friends who bought a new 1Gen model.) It remained essentially a longer Camry for quite some time.....only the latest 4Gen version is really close to the ES350, though the ES originally also came from a stretched Camry platform. The original ES250 was almost a 100% rebadged Camry, but I'm not really including it because it was only offered a very short time and did not sell well.
Old 08-02-14, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Actually if you check the LX and Landcruiser hardly share anything inside and out today as the two brands have separated further apart. The first two generations were very closely alike, the first gen clearly a rebadge.. The GX does share most of the Prado body but the interior is different.
Yes correct. The LX and LC are plat formed shared just like the ES/Avalon. Not rebadged at all.
Old 08-03-14, 10:30 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the modern Maybach is that Mercedes-Benz tried to build up from its S-Class rather than the other direction. It is much easier to build down from a more premium vehicle to a less premium vehicle; MB tried to build up.

I have seen this in such mundane examples as the Camry and Corolla. I have owned both Camry LE and Corolla LE models. The trim level is the same and the price difference between the camry LE (the bottom of the lineup in Canada) and the Corolla LE (the top of the lineup in Canada) is not that much.

It was obvious to me that the Camry LE was built down from a more premium model -- most obviously the XLE but it is not a stretch to think that it was, in fact, built down from the Avalon or ES. Toyota built the Camry LE by taking away bits and pieces of "luxury" (some interior trim, fog lights, etc.) from the XLE, but the underlying car was built for the XLE and Avalon, so it is good.

The Corolla LE, however, was obviously built up from a barebones economy model. Toyota built the Corolla LE by trying to add bits and pieces of *luxury* (Optitron gauges, wood trim, fog lights, etc.), but the underlying car was built for a barebones Corolla CE (in Canada). Toyota did not even bother to put in rear disk brakes for the Corolla LE.

MB's mistake is that the Maybach was too obviously built up from an S-Class (it even looked like its cheaper cousin) by trying to add bits and pieces of "ultra-luxury". If, however, MB had done what Rolls-Royce did with the Rolls-Royce Ghost (design it and then build down from it for the 7-Series), and designed a Maybach and then introduced its platform-mate S-Class as a build-down, I believe that it would have been more successful.
The only Camry that was ever built down from a more premium model was the 1992-1996 model, built down from the 2G ES.
Old 08-03-14, 11:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem with the modern Maybach is that Mercedes-Benz tried to build up from its S-Class rather than the other direction. It is much easier to build down from a more premium vehicle to a less premium vehicle; MB tried to build up.
The Maybach had many problems- not only was it built up from an S-class, but it was built up from a very old one. Despite the styling resemblance to the W220 S-class, the Maybach was actually based off the W140 platform that first rolled off the assembly line in 1991.
Old 08-03-14, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

let's try to keep this on the future of lexus, and less about history, particularly other brands.
Old 08-03-14, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The Maybach had many problems- not only was it built up from an S-class, but it was built up from a very old one. Despite the styling resemblance to the W220 S-class, the Maybach was actually based off the W140 platform that first rolled off the assembly line in 1991.
The new Pullman should pickup where Maybach left off, but you can bet this will be far grander and more extraordinary

Agree, back to Lexus..

Anybody else dreaming of future Lexus's lately?
Old 08-03-14, 01:15 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The new Pullman should pickup where Maybach left off, but you can bet this will be far grander and more extraordinary

Agree, back to Lexus..

Anybody else dreaming of future Lexus's lately?
Yes, the next LS better be a return to perfection or it'll be an S-class for me next.

The next LS needs massage seats for driver, better seats, softer ride, and more power. Just a few thoughts.
Old 08-03-14, 02:52 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by greg3852
Yes, the next LS better be a return to perfection or it'll be an S-class for me next.

The next LS needs massage seats for driver, better seats, softer ride, and more power. Just a few thoughts.
I'd like that massage function. GS, IS, CT, NX and RC (read) have good seats, i'd wager the LS will too. More power is coming, no worries about that
Old 08-03-14, 02:54 PM
LexFather

LS F..... Dreaming already

Old 08-03-14, 04:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I wonder if the LS5 will go for a plush look to its interior or if it will continue with its modern horizontal layered look like the current refresh model.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let's try to keep this on the future of lexus, and less about history, particularly other brands.
Whoops, sorry
Old 08-03-14, 06:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
It was a homerun for lexus but then what wasn't.
The Hs250
Old 08-11-14, 01:12 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Me thinks that TT V-8 TMG LS woke people up!!!
damn sure woke me up...
Old 08-12-14, 04:58 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852

Exactly how i was thinking! The new car needs the RC-F powertrain as the base engine option to compare with HP numbers Mercedes is putting down, and the interior needs to be decked out to exceed quality found in the merc. next we will need the technology up front such as a virtual self driving car, and things such as "magic ride" that see the road imperfections and adjusts ride before it hits
Old 08-12-14, 09:02 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS needs to be a homerun as the new S is amazing, one of the best interiors right now, bar none.

I really do hope Lexus comes out with a 6 figure GT. The new S Coupe has done it for me. I'll be in the market in a couple of years. Basically every other maker needs to convince me their big coupe is better! LOL. I sold my 93 SC300 last year and just really want another coupe in my garage. If they revive the SC name, they better be on point!
Old 08-12-14, 09:20 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Exactly how i was thinking! The new car needs the RC-F powertrain as the base engine option to compare with HP numbers Mercedes is putting down, and the interior needs to be decked out to exceed quality found in the merc. next we will need the technology up front such as a virtual self driving car, and things such as "magic ride" that see the road imperfections and adjusts ride before it hits
Surprisingly rumor has it that will be the case. The LS500 with a NA 5.0. An optional V6 Hybrid system around 500hp* and speculated TT5.0 LS F as the range topper. The powertrains should be similar to the ones offered in the LF-LC (SC). Again, the rumors floating around.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015