Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
UPDATE: 9/18/2014

- 4RX will NOT have a third row
- 4RX will look sharp and dynamic like the NX
- 4RX will continue using a 'Mouse' Remote Touch because 'Legacy' buyers feel comfortable with it. New RTI will seemingly be used on 'younger and sportier' Lexus models
- Separate 3-row crossover to come to fruition (GX future uncertain - mum was the word when asked if a TX/GX could co-exist)
- Full redesigned LX next year to compete better with Range Rover, GL and Escalade

*Please note I do not have any specific details to share regarding the above other than what was mentioned*
awesome info, thanks j!

interesting about no 3rd row. i would think that plays pretty close to the nx, but i think it also depends on how they play with the rest of the updates. funny they stay with the mouse remote, i personally think it's better to be universal across

interesting if they have a crossover taking over the gx but for sure that helps on price, though wouldn't it be too close to the rx on pricing? it's very close as of now already

and i can't wait to see the new lx
Old 09-22-14, 04:16 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

latest on 2016....As for the new RX, it’s due to go on sale next fall, as a 2016 model. The vehicle will share its underpinnings with the latest Toyota Highlander and may offer a seven-seat option for the first time.

It will be built at the same plant in Cambridge, Ontario where the current RX is built and should continue to be offered in RX 350 and RX 450h variants. An eight-speed automatic is expected to be fitted across the range, and there should be an F Sport performance trim level too.

In addition to using more aluminum, a Toyota spokesperson confirmed to Automotive News that the automaker is also looking at using more mixed materials and resins to help further save weight. The practice is already used extensively by the German makes and relies on the use of lightweight materials, such as composites, for certain non-structural components that would be made of heavier steel in conventional designs.
Old 09-22-14, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome info, thanks j!

interesting about no 3rd row. i would think that plays pretty close to the nx, but i think it also depends on how they play with the rest of the updates. funny they stay with the mouse remote, i personally think it's better to be universal across

interesting if they have a crossover taking over the gx but for sure that helps on price, though wouldn't it be too close to the rx on pricing? it's very close as of now already

and i can't wait to see the new lx
I guess that reason for TX would be better usage of space compared to traditional GX... extended RX platform would be a lot more space efficient than GX, not to mention handling and everything else but off road ability.

It will likely be more expensive than RX by similar amount that RX is more expensive than NX.

In any case, this lends credence to article from Autonet.com.tw that was published week ago, that said no 3rd row, but slightly larger at extra 10cm lenght and 5cm wheelbase compared to 3RX. Engines worldwide will be 2.0t, 3.5 GR-FSE (310hp) and 450h with 300hp but 15% better fuel consumption.

http://www.autonet.com.tw/cgi-bin/vi...e1+e2+e3+e5+f1
Old 09-22-14, 06:17 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I guess that reason for TX would be better usage of space compared to traditional GX... extended RX platform would be a lot more space efficient than GX, not to mention handling and everything else but off road ability.

It will likely be more expensive than RX by similar amount that RX is more expensive than NX.

In any case, this lends credence to article from Autonet.com.tw that was published week ago, that said no 3rd row, but slightly larger at extra 10cm lenght and 5cm wheelbase compared to 3RX. Engines worldwide will be 2.0t, 3.5 GR-FSE (310hp) and 450h with 300hp but 15% better fuel consumption.

Sounds like there may BE a 7 passenger after all to meet the family demands!!
Old 09-22-14, 06:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dctex99
Sounds like there may BE a 7 passenger after all to meet the family demands!!
this is info from Lexus annual dealer conference where Lexus told its dealers that it will be a 5 seater.

Unless you have some other source than Automotive News?
Old 09-22-14, 10:36 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
UPDATE: 9/18/2014

- 4RX will NOT have a third row
- 4RX will look sharp and dynamic like the NX
- 4RX will continue using a 'Mouse' Remote Touch because 'Legacy' buyers feel comfortable with it. New RTI will seemingly be used on 'younger and sportier' Lexus models
- Separate 3-row crossover to come to fruition (GX future uncertain - mum was the word when asked if a TX/GX could co-exist)
- Full redesigned LX next year to compete better with Range Rover, GL and Escalade

*Please note I do not have any specific details to share regarding the above other than what was mentioned*

Wow, interesting info! When you mentioned the upcoming dealer meeting, I knew I could count on you, better than my friend in Surrey. Thank you, as my sister has been inquiring to me about the next RX, as she's had her US-spec 2008 RX400h for 7 years now and getting tired of it. The only thing is that I hope the US-spec 4RX isn't underequipped compared to the UK-version. Her UK-spec '13 RX450h F-Sport bought last August will hopefully be replaced by a UK-spec NX300h in December or next summer, with the 2016 replacing the '08 400h in Atlanta. She doesn't live in the UK and uses it on occasional visits, so there's no point in keeping that over the smaller NX.

We also hope the ISC will be replaced within 18 months or have some news by next summer. Being a lover of both the 1SC and SC430, she's also likes the RC, but is waiting for an RC cabriolet (on my advice). Unlike the 2RX, her IS350 is only 3 years old (assembled March 2011), so it is not imminent for replacement.

I do not blame them being mum on the TX/GX, as that is a difficult answer. They are not developing it themselves, so only those in Nagoya know the answer.

Regarding the LX, I think it will be a facelift or be identical to what we discussed via PM. I find it unusual it is already being released next year. The next Land Cruiser was barely going through marketing design clinics this spring (as previously stated by UZJ100GXR in April). Unless we are looking at a platform change (no longer a luxury LC) and abandoning body-on-frame for the LX, it is probably just a facelift for the 2016 model year.

That isn't shocking, as Toyota at that stage with their Land Cruiser, will pick a design concept proposal super-early at 3 years. For the 1998 model it was late 1993/early 1994, final by July 1994, and produced from January 1998. The 2008 model design was defined in 2004, final by early 2005, and produced from September 2007.

Mid-2014 to 2017 could fit that, with a facelift in 2015. There were also mules of the URJ200 LX testing in 2006, well over a year before showroom launch in early 2008. We haven't seen anything, which requires significant testing in the Middle East. I am likely wrong anyway and a full redesign for the LX.

Originally Posted by pbm317
I've shared before that the 4RX will not be getting the 3rd row. Glad the word is finally being let out at the dealer meetings.

"Full Redesign" of the LX is using that term a little loosely.
You work for Lexus? I think it's probably just a facelift, as there is no evidence of them developing anything, unlike the LC300. I've seen RX200t mules for one year, but something as big as the LX, not really. Sounds like a refresh to me. I'm just guessing. If it is a real redesign, it sounds like the 2016 Armada/2015 QX80 relationship.

this is info from Lexus annual dealer conference where Lexus told its dealers that it will be a 5 seater.

Unless you have some other source than Automotive News?
They are likely referring to the TX, not the RX.
Old 09-23-14, 06:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I surely hope that Lexus can muster more than 4hp out of the refreshed 3GR-FSE.

310hp and FWD will be interesting. 310hp in the (DTC) AWD model will be pretty nice though
Old 09-23-14, 10:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

310hp and FWD will be interesting. 310hp in the (DTC) AWD model will be pretty nice though
it might be 306hp again... those numbers might be not the same as US specs, they are rated differently :-).

But it might get a bit of torque bump.

I think the focus has been on getting V6 more efficient and D4S upgrade will bring those new 30hp anyway, which will be felt in 4RX vs 3RX.

At least with new KR and NR engine that got the upgrade to new tech, hp was left the same, torque band was changed (little bit higher torque and little big lower in the rpm range for more usability) and rest of it was bunch of stuff to increase efficiency.

But nobody tested these vs before, Europe only got 1KR engine so far and it is in new car so cant really compare them.
Old 09-23-14, 11:08 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Do you mean the 2GR-FSE? 3RX is using the 2GR-FE - adding D4-S would make it is 2GR-FSE.

Bonus translated article link:
https://translate.google.com/transla...2Be3%2Be5%2Bf1

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-23-14 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added bonus
Old 09-23-14, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

agreed, the gx is not that good as a 7 sitter at all with the platform and design it is on. i am just curious how the rx will stand if there is a larger 7 seater tx above it and a small nx that's quite similar. it seems like very small gap but again have to see the execution

and if the gx is gone, that means in the US only lx left as the true off-road car, that's a lot more exclusive than what it is now
Old 09-23-14, 06:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reports on Aluminum usage for the RX and Camry, should expand more in the future!
Old 09-23-14, 08:35 PM
BornDriver
Driver

5 seats only, 2T with 6AT, 3.5 getting D4S with 8AT
coming in August 2015, still be made in Japan and Canada
Old 09-23-14, 10:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BornDriver
5 seats only, 2T with 6AT, 3.5 getting D4S with 8AT
coming in August 2015, still be made in Japan and Canada
where is the info from? Matches Autonet article from last week... it is cool that 3.5l is finally getting D4S, it likely means full update to the engine like one in the RC-F.
Old 09-24-14, 06:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I will be happy if they can drop some weight with the use of aluminum. This generation of RX put on ~400lbs over the 2RX, if I recall correctly.

2RX felt spritely on it's feet and pretty quick... 3RX is pretty leisurely. More power will certainly help. F Sport model with AWD and 3GR-FSE should be pretty sweet
Old 09-24-14, 07:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Any news on the 2016 GS Refresh - will it have a new engine finally???

I will be in the market to replace my 535i by then so Im hoping for some good news,

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015