Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 04:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at how successfully the 4Runner and Highlander co-exist, perhaps Lexus could do something similar with GX and "TX". Then again, Toyota doesn't have an RX-type model with two rows.
Old 04-27-14, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So they claim GX is a profitable niche and they'll keep that. NX essentially replaces the original RX in size, and the new Highlander is over 3" longer than the outgoing RX. There could be a few theories but the registering of the TX moniker adds some mystery. Does the '16 RX grow to the same size as the Highlander and gain two/three seats? Grow but not gain two/three seats? Does it stay on a shortened platform? Would a TX be 193-195in? Here's some lengths

180.1in 1RX
182.3in 1NX
187.8in 3RX
189.2in 2GX
191.1in '14 Highlander
197.0in 3LX
well, "they" is the "insider". Lexus does not claim anything.

To me only sense is extended RX platform and more expensive model - TX.

I dont think they will change size of RX a lot, they might make it roomier without changing the length significantly, like they have been doing with other cars.

Comment on stepping on RX - why would they mind if it takes some RX sales, as it is more expensive vehicle... It is only better for them. It will also add new buyers as they estimate.
Old 04-27-14, 05:12 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Glad to hear the GX sticking around
This is good news as that could imply the 4runner will soldier on as well. Easier to justify using the platform on more than one model here in the states. Now if they would just ditch the barn door
Old 04-27-14, 05:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
This is good news as that could imply the 4runner will soldier on as well. Easier to justify using the platform on more than one model here in the states. Now if they would just ditch the barn door
That, the powertrain (301hp V8???) and plasticky interior are my only gripes for an otherwise very nice vehicle
Old 04-27-14, 05:50 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Lexus should follow Hyundai as far as recipe for the 3 row suv.

Sanfa Fe sits 7
Santa Fe sport sits 5

Both look similar one essentially just longer than the other.
Old 04-27-14, 05:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Land Cruiser platform spans plenty of other models sold worldwide, it is one of the Toyota's best sellers and it is certainly not going anywhere... so no worries there at all. It is likely the most profitable platform overall in Toyota group.
Old 04-27-14, 05:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge

Sanfa Fe sits 7
Santa Fe sport sits 5

That thought did cross my mind as well. Of course they could just do that and call the 7-Seater TX
Old 04-27-14, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Sanfa Fe sits 7
Santa Fe sport sits 5

They will not do that... they already registered trademark for TX... just like they did for NX before.
Old 04-27-14, 06:09 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by spwolf
They will not do that... they already registered trademark for TX... just like they did for NX before.
So what will this 7 seater be based on if not the RX?
Old 04-27-14, 07:11 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Land Cruiser platform spans plenty of other models sold worldwide, it is one of the Toyota's best sellers and it is certainly not going anywhere... so no worries there at all. It is likely the most profitable platform overall in Toyota group.
Good to know! Thanks.
Old 04-27-14, 07:13 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ugh ... not a fan of the TX name ... lol
Old 04-27-14, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So what will this 7 seater be based on if not the RX?
I assume that most likely option would be that it is based on the same platform, but with visual differences as well as differences in size... so not same car two lengths,but they will try to make it unique which also lets them sell it at higher price.

This is why they picked different name for it... so we will have NX, RX and TX.
Old 04-27-14, 09:40 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Glad to hear the GX sticking around
Me too. The GX is a commanding and capable vehicle and I love it. Glad to hear Lexus will keep it around. One thing I highly recommend is that the barn door opens the wrong way...Lexus please change the opening to the left...and it'll be closer to perfect.
Old 04-30-14, 09:20 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Looking at how successfully the 4Runner and Highlander co-exist, perhaps Lexus could do something similar with GX and "TX". Then again, Toyota doesn't have an RX-type model with two rows.
You forgot about the Venza (and judging by the sales numbers, so did everyone else).

I think the RX stays the same size, more or less. The styling of the RX is pretty iconic and I don't see that going away anytime soon. That styling would absolutely not work on a long wheelbase, 3 row capable vehicle. I figure the TX will sit on the Highlander platform but be a little bigger (LX sized). The styling would likely be less feminine than the RX, but less masculine than the LX. Where the LX fits in is the bigger question. Supposedly the Sequoia is going away and the Land Cruiser, adding some lower SR5 type trims and more clever 3rd row seating to be a bit more cost and family friendly, will be the sole large Toyota SUV. Is it worthwhile to keep making a Lexus version? If the GX lives based on a 4Runner, I wouldn't see the LX dying either. I would expect you'd see a 4Runner/Highlander type relationship between the LX and TX, though. Want go-anywhere in luxury? LX. Want the ultimate luxury kid/people hauler/lifted minivan? TX.
Old 05-01-14, 06:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I did forget about Venza - good call

Interesting that you bring up the Land Cruiser/Sequoia situation. I've been following that for a few months and heard that Toyota ultimately told dealers that they would phase out the Sequoia, but were met with unanimous backlash. From what I heard, dealers are still happy with the Sequoia, though it's getting old and badly needs a replacement. They could at least make some of the updates that they just made to the Tundra (new interior is top notch!).

Lower, more cost-effective, trims of the LC seem like a good idea, but long term, Toyota really doesn't need two full size SUVs. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. There's a lot more stock in the Land Cruiser name, but I also wouldn't want it bastardized just to replace the Sequoia.

Keeping the Land Cruiser also keeps the LX here as well, so that makes sense.

Land Cruiser, LX, Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner and GX are all getting to the point of needing full redesigns...lots coming down the pipeline, including TX!

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015