Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Pawel062
Any rumors of a manual coming out? I'm about to trade my is250 in for a manual s4 in the second half of the year due to Lexus' lack of anything manual. If there's something in the pipeline I might hold off.
Sorry not even rumors. Auto and CVT seem to be Lexus's future. S4 sounds like a good choice, though I believe the A4/S4 are due for a redesign soon(ish) so there may be good deals on current ones soon
Old 04-19-14, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry not even rumors. Auto and CVT seem to be Lexus's future. S4 sounds like a good choice, though I believe the A4/S4 are due for a redesign soon(ish) so there may be good deals on current ones soon
PSD not CVT Hoovey!

:-)
Old 04-19-14, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
PSD not CVT Hoovey!

:-)
haha yes, PSD. I should have said eCVT but you knew what I meant
Old 04-19-14, 05:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
haha yes, PSD. I should have said eCVT but you knew what I meant
we will call them CVT's when CVT's get 2 electric motors in them :-)
Old 04-19-14, 05:47 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still nothing mentioned in any meeting about the Lexus LX?
Old 04-19-14, 06:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
still nothing mentioned in any meeting about the Lexus LX?
No sir I have yet to hear word from my channel
Old 04-20-14, 08:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Just wanted to put this out there :

Amidst all this new information and discussion, has it occurred to anyone that the NX is Lexus' first completely new car of the current Akio Toyoda reformation era?

The new IS(3rd gen) and GS (4th gen) debuted with completely new chassis but carryover power-trains/engines
Similarly for the RC350, RC300h and RC-F ( 5L engine in RC-F is a heavily modified IS-F engine)
LS(4th Gen) just had an extensive refresh last year under Mr Toyoda's watch but no new generation as yet.

So the significance of the NX , being that both chassis and power-trains are completely new and developed ground-up under Akio's regime, is that it serves as a bellwether to Lexus' future direction in terms of design, engine performance, utility, luxury and handling.
Old 04-20-14, 09:51 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by natnut
Just wanted to put this out there :

Amidst all this new information and discussion, has it occurred to anyone that the NX is Lexus' first completely new car of the current Akio Toyoda reformation era?

The new IS(3rd gen) and GS (4th gen) debuted with completely new chassis but carryover power-trains/engines
Similarly for the RC350, RC300h and RC-F ( 5L engine in RC-F is a heavily modified IS-F engine)
LS(4th Gen) just had an extensive refresh last year under Mr Toyoda's watch but no new generation as yet.

So the significance of the NX , being that both chassis and power-trains are completely new and developed ground-up under Akio's regime, is that it serves as a bellwether to Lexus' future direction in terms of design, engine performance, utility, luxury and handling.
should be interesting to watch unfold
Old 04-20-14, 12:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I believe that only when new common platform hits in the 2015 that we will see truly "all new under Toyoda" vehicles.

Lexus head also recently also said that next step is all-new Lexus groundbreaking platform (I am assuming for RWD).
Old 04-22-14, 02:57 AM
Commander1
Driver School Candidate

Default How reliable is this information?

I was actually getting very close to heading out to a dealership and bringing home an F-sport is250, but if they're finally bringing out a turbo on it I'd rather wait. The mpg and power is the ONLY thing that kept me second guessing the purchase. I really would like to know when this news will be official as well. 🙊
Old 04-22-14, 05:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Commander1
I was actually getting very close to heading out to a dealership and bringing home an F-sport is250, but if they're finally bringing out a turbo on it I'd rather wait. The mpg and power is the ONLY thing that kept me second guessing the purchase. I really would like to know when this news will be official as well. 🙊
it certainly wont go on sale until next year for sure...
Old 04-22-14, 05:20 AM
Crossfit04
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Commander1
Same here,
Love the IS250 Fsport but now Im hearing the NX200T is coming out with its first turbo engine that may be the new replacement for the IS250. Might just Hold off, any confirmation on when the motor is gonna go in the IS250?
Old 04-22-14, 07:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

Lexus head also recently also said that next step is all-new Lexus groundbreaking platform (I am assuming for RWD).
I said a few years ago that Lexus should come up with one platform to underpin the IS and GS, as they do now, but also potentially the RX and/or GX. RC is also on that platform now. From a manufacturing standpoint, that makes it easier and more efficient to keep the latest and greatest technology, engines and features in Lexus' core vehicles.

The Toyota roots are fine for NX, ES and CT, I think, but RX could be elevated, especially now that we have NX. Breaking RX from the Camry platform would be a huge step, but if Lexus can develop a solid core RWD platform that can span SUVs and CUVs, I'd love to see a more "serious" RX.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 04-22-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 10:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I said a few years ago that Lexus should come up with one platform to underpin the IS and GS, as they do now, but also potentially the RX and/or GX.

this is not possible to do properly as they are completely different vehicles.

It is the reason that IS and 5 series weight more than competition.

"Platform" does not mean much at all, i would not be stuck on "platform" being unique - this will not happen in the future as they will probably base all of their vehicles on 10 platforms, unlike 20-30 they have now.

Future is more part sharing between vehicles, like what VW is doing... This is what Toyota will do as well. This is not what they have done in past as you cant really find Rav4 in NX or RX in Highlander, let alone Camry or Corolla.

New Toyota global platform that replaces MC, will be on 30+ vehicles and will share a lot more parts - same what VW is doing with theirs.
Old 04-22-14, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I said a few years ago that Lexus should come up with one platform to underpin the IS and GS, as they do now, but also potentially the RX and/or GX.
I basically agree with you on the IS/GS. But not for the SUVs. The RX and GX are generally designed for two different functions. The average RX buyer, more comfort-oriented and geared to everyday suburban driving, is not likely to want (or need) the kind of towing/hauling/off-road capability that people buy the GX (and the even larger LX) for. They are two substantially different SUVs for two substantially different functions. Even with the pressures of cost-cutting, I don't see any practical way they can be shared by a common platform. Just isn't going to work.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015