Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Love the usual posts of Hyundais are worth 50c after 2 years. We all know Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura has the best resale but really it's only a few percent better than anything else and Hyundai may be a few points lower as oldcajun's post points out. We can all find individual data points to make whatever pro con case we want but that's a waste of time.

I personally never understood being concerned much about resale when buying a new car... Either you want it or you don't. Resale is years down the road and anything can happen - you might get rich and it's irrelevant
Resale does factor in when leasing though and most luxury cars are leased...

Resale value on paper or in KBB/NADA may be one thing, but the REAL value of the car is what someone will actually GIVE you for it, be it for a trade-in, private sale, or a (somewhat unusual) factory buy-back.
Old 06-30-14, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Lexus is a prime target for Hyundai and their legions of internet PR people, much in the same way Mercedes and Cadillac were back in 1989, only there was no useful internet back then.

The goal of those here is to keep Hyundai among the topics and discussion of Lexus buyers/fans.
I think this is more than a little paranoid. A lot of the people you mention have been members here for a long time...
Old 06-30-14, 07:37 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Today, if I were going to replace my LS460 with an Eqqus, Genesis, or K900, it would be on a lease. The residual values play a big part in lease cost. The automobile companies (including Lexus) ofter provide support for a high residual value to keep lease costs down. I really like the Eqqus and K900. They are the Lincoln Town Car I miss. The new Genesis is a bit of different animal, but still very attractive. The lease lets me explore alternatives for 3 years without a huge commitment. I will almost surely stay with the LS460 just because I really like the car and the dealer.
Steve
Old 06-30-14, 08:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A new Genesis pulled up next to me at the light the other day. I was pretty impressed with its Audi-like modern design and the taillights are pretty cool when they are lit up. The character line that runs along the side is really nice. I'm not in the market for one, but IMHO it is truly an attractive car that looks like it fits in the luxury category.
Old 07-01-14, 06:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2015 Hyundai Genesis automatically slows for speed cameras

Speed cameras are something of a foreign curiosity for many drivers in the US. Sure, there is sporadic use of red light cameras here, but the cams to catch speeders are much more popular in Europe. However, Hyundai might have created a way to end that scourge for our foreign auto enthusiast compatriots. The Korean automaker recently showed off a system on the Genesis at its headquarters in Seoul that could detect and automatically slow down for the nefarious devices. It could make many speeding tickets a thing of the past.

According to Australian website Drive, the Genesis' tech is actually a simple integration of already existing structures. It combines a navigation system programmed with the locations of speed cameras and the sedan's automatic braking. Drivers get an audible warning about a half-mile beforehand to slow down, and if they don't the car can do it for them.

Unfortunately, this potentially money-saving tech isn't leaving its domestic market anytime soon. "This is offered only in Korea and not planned for the US. In Korea, many cars with smart cruise control offer this and it is viewed as a safety feature," said Hyundai spokesperson Jim Trainor to Autoblog via email.

Obviously, the system isn't foolproof since it can only detect stationary cameras. If the cops catch you on radar, you're still getting a ticket. It probably wouldn't be of much use in the US anyway since we have so few speed cameras here. Still, it seems like the type of type of semi-autonomous driving tech that a lot of drivers around the world could get behind.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/2...speed-cameras/
Old 07-01-14, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We do have speed-cameras in D.C. and nearby suburban MD, but not in suburban VA there I live. All three jurisdictions, though, have red-light cameras.

I'm not convinced, though, that the new Genesis's GPS/speed-camera memory-system, though, will make a lot speeding tickets a thing of the past like the article suggests. Sure, if it automatically slows the car for speed-cameras, it will eliminate some risk (and maybe tick off some drivers behind you when it hits the brakes or chops the throttle). But speed camera locations are sometimes switched around to various locations, and if the police have Instant-On radar, there's a good chance they'll nab you no matter what. Hovever, most speed cameras are also set to allow for a 10 MPH leeway or so to correct for speedometer-error, downhill-grade effects, cruise-control error, and other speed-enhancing effects.
Old 07-03-14, 06:21 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We do have speed-cameras in D.C. and nearby suburban MD, but not in suburban VA there I live. All three jurisdictions, though, have red-light cameras.

I'm not convinced, though, that the new Genesis's GPS/speed-camera memory-system, though, will make a lot speeding tickets a thing of the past like the article suggests. Sure, if it automatically slows the car for speed-cameras, it will eliminate some risk (and maybe tick off some drivers behind you when it hits the brakes or chops the throttle). But speed camera locations are sometimes switched around to various locations, and if the police have Instant-On radar, there's a good chance they'll nab you no matter what. Hovever, most speed cameras are also set to allow for a 10 MPH leeway or so to correct for speedometer-error, downhill-grade effects, cruise-control error, and other speed-enhancing effects.
I would love to have the feature in my current car. I drive to DC and VA almost daily. Trust me the feature would benefit me. I rarely ever see cops sit on the side of the road anymore unless I’m in VA.
Old 07-03-14, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
I would love to have the feature in my current car. I drive to DC and VA almost daily. Trust me the feature would benefit me. I rarely ever see cops sit on the side of the road anymore unless I’m in VA.
Traffic, though, in this area (as a local resident, I'm sure you'll agree) is so dense, and there are so many traffic lights, mutli-way stop signs, speed bumps, pedestrians, etc.....that it is often difficult or impossible to speed, period. That alone keeps some speed-related crashes down in the area....but there are still a fair number of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-14 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 01:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
A new Genesis pulled up next to me at the light the other day. I was pretty impressed with its Audi-like modern design and the taillights are pretty cool when they are lit up. The character line that runs along the side is really nice. I'm not in the market for one, but IMHO it is truly an attractive car that looks like it fits in the luxury category.
I can't wait to see the new Genesis on the road.
Old 07-07-14, 05:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I got to see my first set of Genesis sedans today. IMHO, the car qualifies as a luxury sedan. Very impressive exterior styling , an outstanding presence and the front grille is gorgeous. Personally, I think it has a much better front end than the spindle grille.

Not sure what to compare it with , it sure can take on Lexus, and Audi in my eyes.
Old 07-07-14, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I got to see my first set of Genesis sedans today. IMHO, the car qualifies as a luxury sedan. Very impressive exterior styling , an outstanding presence and the front grille is gorgeous. Personally, I think it has a much better front end than the spindle grille.

Not sure what to compare it with , it sure can take on Lexus, and Audi in my eyes.
Road and Track magazine, in a write-up on it a couple of months ago, said this is basically what Lincoln should be bringing out to replace the Town Car. I haven't test-driven a new Genesis yet, but based on what I've read from those who have, I can't disagree.
Old 07-09-14, 05:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a brilliant stunt by hyundai, very well done imho

http://bigumigu.com/haber/hyundai-nin-bos-arac-konvoyu

Old 07-09-14, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
a brilliant stunt by hyundai, very well done imho
Yes, some nice filming, but I think they got the topic backwards. They are essentially trying to sell self-driving cars to driving enthusiasts....that's putting the cart before the horse.

Notice also (though the video doesn't come right out and say it) the subtle pitch to current drivers of German luxury cars by the background Waltz-music? The ad, right or wrong, is obviously trying to suggest that the Korean-sourced Genesis beats the Germans at their own game.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Yes, some nice filming, but I think they got the topic backwards. They are essentially trying to sell self-driving cars to driving enthusiasts....that's putting the cart before the horse.
perhaps we need to define 'driving enthusiast'. if it's the typical bmw target (male who believes they're an f1 driver ), then i don't think hyundai is going after that in the slghtest. the new genesis is a smooth quiet large luxury sedan, great for comfortable highway cruising and not being 'bothered' by other traffic in town or out. in fact, all luxury brands have pretty much gone this direction, as well as having their 'performance' lines (m, amg, s/rs, f-sport/f, etc.) for the more 'hard core' audience.

so i contend hyundai is exactly on point in that many a busy successful person will be thrilled to 'hand over the reigns' of the car so they can conduct business, pass the gray poupon, or book some theater tickets while the car proceeds to get the occupants to a designated spot.
Old 07-10-14, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Notice also (though the video doesn't come right out and say it) the subtle pitch to current drivers of German luxury cars by the background Waltz-music? The ad, right or wrong, is obviously trying to suggest that the Korean-sourced Genesis beats the Germans at their own game.
what part of it says they are trying to sell ppl who loves driving?

mike you gotta start trying to enjoy things for what they are rather than trying to take things out of context in most occasions

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread