Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 12:29 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they did a comparo with with cadillac CTS and I don't see how anyone can opt for the CTS. the fully loaded one tops 70k and the 4 cylinder turbo goes for about 47k.

U can pretty much get a 2015 base well equipped for about 37k out the door now....I think
Old 06-18-14, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
not on the 2gs

but yes, i think this is the problem on a lot of cars. even the isf, in terms of balance (especially on autox) i prefer the is350 over the isf. but i do believe with proper design v8 can still shine over v6
IS350 is downright nimble feeling compared to the IS F. The weight difference is noticable both in the turns and steering feel surely. When that 5.0 hits VVTi though
Old 06-18-14, 03:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
IS350 is downright nimble feeling compared to the IS F. The weight difference is noticable both in the turns and steering feel surely. When that 5.0 hits VVTi though
^^^ agree completely.
Old 06-27-14, 10:03 AM
bmbutler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading cars for Hyundais

Originally Posted by DaneAustin
I sale cars for a living, and have for sometime now, I was with Honda the last 5 years, but due to change in ownership , decided to switch Hyundai, they seem to have the best warrenty, and you get a lot of features for a cheaper price.. I see it everyday peopling are tradind in BMW's, Lexuses etc......, for Hyundais, Im not saying one is better than the other, 6 months ago I did nothing but talk trash about Hyundai, now that I have took all my test and got the chance to drive them, I have had a change in mind..
Those same BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc owners that trade for Hyundai will be getting a VERY rude shock to the system when they see their residual values over the next few years. Hyundai's have been horrible since their inception for residual values and have gotten no better even with the Genesis and Equus lines. I have owned many Hyundai's since my first one in 1989. Currently own a 2012 Genesis. I will be looking at the Lexus GS Hybrid once my lease from h*** is up with Hyundai. The price on the 2015 Genesis is such that I will not even consider it after my experience with this Genesis.

I predict those traders will be running back from Hyundai very quickly.
Old 06-27-14, 10:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a few new Genesis here in Atlanta and am quite surprised by how sedate the design is in person. I would call it conservatively handsome in person, and definitely an upgrade over the last generation. Coming at me in the opposite lane, the front end looks a lot like the Chrysler 300 at first glance, but as it passes, the sharper angles start to come into focus.

Nice looking car though - and definitely pretty big!
Old 06-27-14, 11:03 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

this new genesis for me, is more similar to the bmw 6 series grand prix (or whatever it's called) and the mercedes CLS. It just has that vibe to me. I know I'm way off but that's just the feel that I get from it.

but u just get it for half the cost.

it's a pretty nicely built car and hyundai is making very little profit out of it.
Old 06-27-14, 12:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmbutler
Those same BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc owners that trade for Hyundai will be getting a VERY rude shock to the system when they see their residual values over the next few years. Hyundai's have been horrible since their inception for residual values and have gotten no better even with the Genesis and Equus lines. I have owned many Hyundai's since my first one in 1989. Currently own a 2012 Genesis. I will be looking at the Lexus GS Hybrid once my lease from h*** is up with Hyundai. The price on the 2015 Genesis is such that I will not even consider it after my experience with this Genesis.

I think the wave is starting to turn. The first wave of their truly new products like 2011 Sonata, etc, are JUST now coming back to the used market. Hyundai and Kia vehicles have made some big strides since your Genesis originally debuted back in the 09 time frame.

Currently the Hyundai Accent, Kia Soul and new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport are predicted to lead their respective segments in predicted residual value, and all are in some pretty competitive segments. This latest Genesis will likely continue the trend of much improved residuals vs the prior generation.

Last edited by pbm317; 06-27-14 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 03:37 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmbutler

baseless accusation. i'm certain genesis/equus depreciation aren't any worse than germans or jaguar. many high end models not named LS depreciates like crazy. hell my best friend is a serious audi homer and he bought an 6 year old a8 for dirt cheap.

i remember elantra winning top residual awards few years ago, probably before the mpg fiasco. i don't know how they are doing now, but most likely they are probably average. somewhere between toyota/honda and domestics.

Last edited by hlee12; 06-27-14 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 03:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by hlee12
baseless accusation. i'm certain genesis/equus depreciation aren't any worse than germans or jaguar. many high end models not named LS depreciates like crazy. hell my best friend is a serious audi homer and he bought an 6 year old a8 for dirt cheap.

i remember elantra winning top residual awards few years ago, probably before the mpg fiasco. i don't know how they are doing now, but most likely they are probably average. somewhere between toyota/honda and domestics.
You got to be kidding me. We are not talking about a 6 year old A8. Hyundai's Genesis and Equus sell far under MSRP and on top of that have horrid resale value. A 2 year old Equus can be had in the 30s. This isn't some new thing, it should be expected since they are far less known without the brand panache. They might never have great re-sale value, that is NOT a reason for purchase. The reason for purchase for many is "Value".

Please do not bring the LS in the discussion and it is ridiculous to say genesis/equus resale is no worse than the Germans or Jaguar.

bmbutler shared his OWNERSHIP experience. He is not some guy without the car promoting it.

Old 06-27-14, 04:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Last weekend I saw a new Genesis parked in my neighborhood and it looked very nice. Had good presence, looked upscale and was bigger than I expected. I checked it out more than once before it left.

Personally, I'm not ready to drop $40k-$50k on one but I can see how it would make a pretty good value proposition to the right buyer.
Old 06-27-14, 05:43 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
You got to be kidding me. We are not talking about a 6 year old A8. Hyundai's Genesis and Equus sell far under MSRP and on top of that have horrid resale value. A 2 year old Equus can be had in the 30s. This isn't some new thing, it should be expected since they are far less known without the brand panache. They might never have great re-sale value, that is NOT a reason for purchase. The reason for purchase for many is "Value".

Please do not bring the LS in the discussion and it is ridiculous to say genesis/equus resale is no worse than the Germans or Jaguar.

bmbutler shared his OWNERSHIP experience. He is not some guy without the car promoting it.

i can bring LS in the discussion whenever i want. but all i said 'NOT NAMED LS.'

and why do you think i'm kidding? ah that's right. you are the ultimate lexus loyal customer. you must never bought german cars before.
just from my recent car shopping experience, many german products depreciates alot. i don't even have to research it. i know this. i was looking around used cars.

2010 528i. you can easily find them in low 20s.
2010 535i xdrive certified - you can find these easily for 25k. there are ton of them where i live.
2010 genesis 3.8. you can easily find them for around 18-20k.
2010 E350 - easily can be had for around 23-25k. my friend bought one.

i think a6 has a better value. but 5 series depreciates alot.

so will german car buyers be shocked to see hyundai depreciating like crazy? hell naw. german car buyers know many of german luxury products depreciate like crazy. so yes it is a baseless accusation to say genesis' depreciation will shock them because those GERMAN CARS depreciates alot. 2010 genesis was what 33k-42k car? much lower in msrp.

we all know S class, a8, 7 series, xj depreciate like crazy. doesn't matter what year. 100k car depreciates like crazy. NOT NAMED LS.

Last edited by hlee12; 06-27-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 05:57 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

hm.. strange. autotrader won't let me link. it gets broken. strange. anyway

just looked equus on autotrader

2013 equus
lowest 37k with very low miles
highest 48k with very low miles

it definitely depreciates alot. but i'm sure most 60k 2013 german cars can be had for 40-50k too.

2012 equus
lowest 29k (82k miles)
highest 42.5k (7.6k miles

seems like equus depreciates more than genesis. understandable because it's friggin 60k hyundai. and even if genesis/equus depreciates more than german cars it can't be that much more.

Last edited by hlee12; 06-27-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 06:29 PM
LexFather

This is ridiculous. Anyone trying to say the genesis and Equus depreciates just like the German luxury Marques has no clue. You are comparing the deprecation of a 120k German car to a 40k Hyundai saying "oh they both depreciate" which is illogical.

Please don't mistake my Lexus Ownership with not clearly knowing about other brands. I just spoke to Hyundai 2 weeks ago for crying out loud.

But please englighen us CP1 on how incredible their resale value is.

Unfollowed..... #3

Old 06-27-14, 06:59 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12

i can bring LS in the discussion whenever i want. but all i said 'NOT NAMED LS.'

and why do you think i'm kidding? ah that's right. you are the ultimate lexus loyal customer. you must never bought german cars before.
just from my recent car shopping experience, many german products depreciates alot. i don't even have to research it. i know this. i was looking around used cars.

2010 528i. you can easily find them in low 20s.
2010 535i xdrive certified - you can find these easily for 25k. there are ton of them where i live.
2010 genesis 3.8. you can easily find them for around 18-20k.
2010 E350 - easily can be had for around 23-25k. my friend bought one.

i think a6 has a better value. but 5 series depreciates alot.

so will german car buyers be shocked to see hyundai depreciating like crazy? hell naw. german car buyers know many of german luxury products depreciate like crazy. so yes it is a baseless accusation to say genesis' depreciation will shock them because those GERMAN CARS depreciates alot. 2010 genesis was what 33k-42k car? much lower in msrp.

we all know S class, a8, 7 series, xj depreciate like crazy. doesn't matter what year. 100k car depreciates like crazy. NOT NAMED LS.
It is true what Mike is saying. I just looked there are 2012 and 2013 fully loaded Gen R-Specs going for mid 20's. There are multiple 2011 examples of the Equus in the high 20's to low 30s. Frankly thats pretty horrible. I have a 2008 535i, in early 2012 I picked it up for $32,000 flat with 45,000 miles. Thats a good bit of depreciation but its damn sure better than the 2009-2010 Genesis's selling in the teens.

The germans do have a good bit of depreciation but you simply cannot compare the resale value of a Hyundai to the rest.

09 Gen $13k - http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=605796677&listingRecNum=189&criteria=feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D50%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26stkTypId%3D28881%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26rn%3D150%26zc%3D33055%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26mdId%3D21221%26stkTyp%3DU%26mkId%3D20064%26sf1Dir%3DDESC&aff=national&listType=1

2012 Equus $25k- http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

You wont see any 2012 Lexus, BMW, MB, or Audi flagship selling that cheap even with the mileage.

Last edited by Justin2JZ; 06-27-14 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 11:48 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

surprising thing that hyundai is not getting the positive demand for the new genesis they were hoping for.

dealers are willing to let them go for about 4000 below msrp.

a one year old 2015 genesis would be a steal at 30k.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread