Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 10:16 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
So 1 car that isn't even a 2014 model. As far as I know every single car company does the exact same thing when trying to sell out previous model years.
There isn't a 2014 model, that is why. Plus I got mine 14K off sticker.
Old 12-05-13, 11:36 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I totally agree. It is definitely getting a little long in the tooth. Even in my car reviews, where I describe a car stem-to-stern in detail and give a long list of plusses/minuses, I generally don't pan a vehicle for something that looks like a copy of another one. It is extremely difficult, nowadays, with the sheer number of vehicles now or formerly in production, to design something that is TRULY new and doesn't look like SOMEBODY else, somewhere down the line. IMO, people that harp on this are just beating a dead horse.
word. we can find similarities everywhere. list is infinite. there are trends too. big bold grill is here to stay. i don't care who started it. peugeot? audi? who cares? it's 'look at me' era. designers want to make a statement.

designers get inspired by other designers and tend to do things that 'works'. they spend ton of money to do research and come up with logical design which would bring them most success. if hyundai copied bmw's button then so be it. they did it because it made sense for them. and they borrowed it without jeopardizing overall integrity of the design.

and when you try to be original it usually becomes too controversial anyway. just look at the lincoln's grill. it's too love/hate because they tried too hard. if hyundai tried something new it can seriously jeopardize the existence of hyundai's luxury lineup. i know for a fact that korean male over 40's won't like genesis to be a bigger azera with spaceship interior. many koreans despise that interior. no wonder hyundai sales are down in korea. i'm sure they could've easily done that spaceship like direction on genesis. that would create more 'family look' and keep the design identity. they chose not to, obviously.

if i had to give it a grade on this genesis, it would be B-. worthy attempt. this is a clear improvement from the last gen which i found the design totally forgettable. at least this has some character. and IMO this is a better business decision. i'm glad it looks nothing like elantra, sonata or azera. at the end of the day, this is another strong competitive product which will sell relatively well. it will be competitive in 35-50k sedan segment.
Old 12-05-13, 02:03 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I like the Azera's interior ^
Old 12-05-13, 03:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Looks like a Chinese knockoff of a BMW.
Careful now, the new wave of paid Hyundai supporters that have recently popped up on CL will attack you on this point.
Old 12-05-13, 03:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Careful now, the new wave of paid Hyundai supporters that have recently popped up on CL will attack you on this point.
Trdfantasy, please exit this thread.

Folks running out of options on how to keep folks posting about the autos and not baiting or insulting other members...
Old 12-05-13, 08:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I give Hyundai credit for this car. It's a car that I'd turn my head around to see what it is. If passerby's stop and stare even for a quick second, it's a success for Hyundai IMO.

Originally Posted by hlee12
this is what people said in bimmer forum on new lexus - analog clock!! it's a blatant copy!! is that Bangle's idrive control? oh my!! and there are 2 buttons about 10 inches apart in the dash!! oh my!! exactly 10 inches!! so blatant!! lol this never ends. nobody can win.
I stroll over to the bimmer forums from time to time and you're so right. It's pretty funny reading how Lexus copied their "big" nav screen lol.
Old 12-05-13, 09:45 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91

They tried to say the same thing about the GS's interior...

I don't see much other than the fact all 3 have horizontal center console.

What utter bull****. It's one thing to say "I don't see any similarity between the Genesis interior and the 5er interior" (which you'd have to be blind to say anyway), but to place all three of those interiors on the same level is just a flat out lie.

Compare the 3 center stacks:

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread-zxmf09l.jpg

Now honestly tell me, how on earth is the GS in the same league of similarity as the Genesis and 5 series? Ask any 6 year old and they will quickly tell you one of those does not belong. Furthermore, the Genesis and 5 series both use a similar rotary **** system for their infotainment. The GS uses a unique remote touch system, which looks nothing like the other two.

The only similarity with the GS and the German interiors is the horizontal theme. But that's like saying since two songs are about love, they must be exactly the same. In fact the GS and Lexus interiors in general are nothing like their German counterparts. The Germans like to use little brightwork highlights around everything (like around the ***** and strips under the buttons in the Genesis and 5er interiors). Lexus has never been into that stuff. Hyundai meanwhile is attempting to fool people into thinking its interior is as good as any German interior, by mimicking all those little details. Not an ounce of originality or thought or care. Simply take what others have done and massage it for their own use. Then again all the Germans do is copy eachother, Now there is a South Korean competitor getting in on the action.

It's like that nerdy kid in highschool trying to associate himself with the cool kids by sitting close to them at lunch time, eating what they eat and talking like they do. One day someone asks: "do you guys know this kid"? They'll be like "ahh no..." "really? he's been sitting next to you for the last year, you've never noticed him?" "uh sorry no we haven't".

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

They would have to be wearing some really blinding Hyundai shades to say anything different.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 12-05-13 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 03:54 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What utter bull****. It's one thing to say "I don't see any similarity between the Genesis interior and the 5er interior" (which you'd have to be blind to say anyway), but to place all three of those interiors on the same level is just a flat out lie.

Now honestly tell me, how on earth is the GS in the same league of similarity as the Genesis and 5 series? Ask any 6 year old and they will quickly tell you one of those does not belong. Furthermore, the Genesis and 5 series both use a similar rotary **** system for their infotainment. The GS uses a unique remote touch system, which looks nothing like the other two.

The only similarity with the GS and the German interiors is the horizontal theme. But that's like saying since two songs are about love, they must be exactly the same. In fact the GS and Lexus interiors in general are nothing like their German counterparts. The Germans like to use little brightwork highlights around everything (like around the ***** and strips under the buttons in the Genesis and 5er interiors). Lexus has never been into that stuff. Hyundai meanwhile is attempting to fool people into thinking its interior is as good as any German interior, by mimicking all those little details. Not an ounce of originality or thought or care. Simply take what others have done and massage it for their own use. Then again all the Germans do is copy eachother, Now there is a South Korean competitor getting in on the action.

It's like that nerdy kid in highschool trying to associate himself with the cool kids by sitting close to them at lunch time, eating what they eat and talking like they do. One day someone asks: "do you guys know this kid"? They'll be like "ahh no..." "really? he's been sitting next to you for the last year, you've never noticed him?" "uh sorry no we haven't".

They would have to be wearing some really blinding Hyundai shades to say anything different.
Great post.
Old 12-06-13, 04:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Genesis looks clearly built to the price, difference in quality is easy seen... good post Mr. Burns.
Old 12-06-13, 04:40 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that was funny. I agree.
I always believed Hyundai was mimicking the Germans who are notorious for mimicking each other. In my humble opinion Lexus "overall" has taken a different and more innovative approach to cabin design.
I really like the interior "because" they chose a safe route in copying the bmw interior. It will sell well in Korea adn the US.
Personally I like the Azera interior and thought Hyundai might expand on that design theme but it might have been too polarizing for more conservative buyers.
Old 12-06-13, 04:53 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Truthfully i'm not blown away by any of the 3. The Genesis is a nice addition to the segment but just like every car in that segment it has some weakness. It all depends on what you value the most. For example if you don't have at least 380 hp i'm not spending over 50k on you.
Old 12-06-13, 06:03 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

What is up with new cars and the use of grainy plastics? The 5 series, Genesis & GS seem to use it by just judging from the above photos! I'm talking about the grainy scratchy plastics like in the ES.

How much cost cutting do they need these companies, geez
Old 12-06-13, 06:19 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The Avalon has the best interior for the price range of any car on sale today IMO. Avalon vs Azera

Winner is Avalon, easily

You can easily see that the Avalon interior is higher quality than the Azera's & ES350's

The best part is the rear. Look at how tired the Hyundai design is, as per usual.

Where as the Avalon looks fresh

Last edited by yowps3; 12-06-13 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

yowps3, good analysis. of course you can also get a cadenza for avalon money. the cadenza interior/exterior is kinda dull, but at least it's driving the right wheels.
Old 12-06-13, 07:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
What is up with new cars and the use of grainy plastics? The 5 series, Genesis & GS seem to use it by just judging from the above photos! I'm talking about the grainy scratchy plastics like in the ES.

How much cost cutting do they need these companies, geez
lol, what kind of plastics do you have in your car? glossy?

every car has leather grain plastics.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread