Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Old 02-20-13, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
Also copying reduces the R&D cost, so more money in my wallet

Hey I won't be the one being sued for copyrights infringement, so why would I care?
You three are right. Here you go

http://www.wristreplicas.net/

Old 02-20-13, 12:39 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me a V8 with AWD priced below the premium brands' V6 models and I'll be all over it. I skipped over the Hyundai Genesis the last time I was shopping due to its lack of AWD.
Old 02-20-13, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Also copying reduces the R&D cost, so more money in my wallet
Maybe, maybe not. Auto companies don't always pass on cost-savings to the public in lower sticker-prices. And, even if prices are lower, it often means product de-contenting. Auto companies don't often give out a free lunch, unless intense competition forces it.

They do often spend money at the big auto shows, though, and give out a lot of free gifts/perks and test-drive incentives.
Old 02-20-13, 12:56 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Where's the oringinality??? Gone are those days i say. It seems as if you guys would prefer all cars look exactly the same, except for the badge, as long as its a good product? SMH. Yes, throughout history automobiles have resembled each other but not on this massive scale it is today. Accord/Genisis are exact twins from the rear. Can't tell them apart if you're standing more than 30 ft. from them. Caddy's and Chevy's are the only one's that have unique rears today.
Old 02-20-13, 01:04 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai has come a long way. May trade in my wifes Sonata for her new DD
This way Ill have 2 Genesis in the garage...

BTW..... if they begin raising the price then her next DD will be a Lexus GS. I love Hyundais and own 2 however Im in no way feeling that they are on par with Lexus yet
Old 02-20-13, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Where's the oringinality??? Gone are those days i say. It seems as if you guys would prefer all cars look exactly the same, except for the badge, as long as its a good product? SMH. Yes, throughout history automobiles have resembled each other but not on this massive scale it is today. Accord/Genisis are exact twins from the rear. Can't tell them apart if you're standing more than 30 ft. from them. Caddy's and Chevy's are the only one's that have unique rears today.
I think one reason so many cars look like jelly-beans today, with humpback-rooflines, is that the manufacturers are trying to get more MPG out of them to comply with government edicts.
Old 02-20-13, 01:11 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think one reason so many cars look like jelly-beans today, with humpback-rooflines, is that the manufacturers are trying to get more MPG out of them to comply with government edicts.
So they cant do that without the humpbacks and egg shapes?
Old 02-20-13, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
So they cant do that without the humpbacks and egg shapes?
Those sleek aero-shapes (though I find them utterly boring) do often improve mileage by creating less air-resistance, particularly at higher speeds. They can, in some cases, also cut down on wind-noise.

Yes, there may be other ways to do it without the classic jelly-bean look, but cost has to be taken into account. Low-wind-resistant bodies are one of the most cost-effective ways to do it.....and the costs of mass-production are always a factor (sometimes, IMO, too much so)
Old 02-20-13, 01:47 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those sleek aero-shapes (though I find them utterly boring) do often improve mileage by creating less air-resistance, particularly at higher speeds. They can, in some cases, also cut down on wind-noise.

Yes, there may be other ways to do it without the classic jelly-bean look, but cost has to be taken into account. Low-wind-resistant bodies are one of the most cost-effective ways to do it.....and the costs of mass-production are always a factor (sometimes, IMO, too much so)
There always gonna be a cost in doing something but who has the ***** to do something different and not doing what everyone else is doing? Yes, the egg/jellybean shape is efficient in terms of aerodynamics but can you tell me that out of all these years of R+D, no one can come up with any other ways to make the car less air resistance outside of having the car look like an amoeba thus having parking lots look like egg cartons or an bag of jellybeans? I see and unsterstand your point Marshall and im not trying to be argumentative. I would just like to see more orginallity in design these days and less recycling of righ-angles and soft curves.
Old 02-20-13, 02:01 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am suprised that noone has mentioned that the renderings look VERY much like an aston martin rapide.

Noone else thinks so?

And idk if i am alone here, but does anyone find Hyundai's market strategy/positioning confusing? It is NOT a luxury brand, but with every large sedan that comes out, they are trying to market themselves as premium with flashy LEDs and gaudy amounts of chrome trimming. It is as if they are trying their hardest to be something they aren't. They aren't necessarily Buick/Acuras.

Volkswagen's method of offering the phaeton in the past failed, partly due to the fact that phaeton customers and jetta/beetle customers were in the same dealership. It is hard to be premium if you have lower and higher end vehicles in the same showrooms.

The above reasoning is probably why, imo, Hyundai is offering to pick up Equus customers at home and avoid having to have them go to the shop. Equus buyers are probably not going to want to mingle with their Accent counterparts. Even then, there is no avoiding the fact that "I bought a Hyundai". There is little badge appeal.

What is even more confusing to me is the Kia/Hyundai market strategy. Why offer 2 brands of the same level? But thats for future discussion.

I feel that the proposed 2015 Genesis is certainly handsome, but very derived.
Old 02-20-13, 02:34 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Trex, I agree that Hyundai's current strategy is strange to say the least. New brands are ludicrously expensive to start up though- something tells me Hyundai is practicing their luxury game before they make a solid investment in a luxury brand.

Of course, where does that leave the luxurious Kias that will be following in the coming years? Confusing indeed.
Old 02-20-13, 08:17 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I wonder who they are going to steal from this time...more of the same or some new cars to rip-off
Originally Posted by spwolf
interior looks a lot nicer than current one, even if it is mix and match from various other luxury makes.
Exactly this.

The gauges are a direct copy from Lexus in the current model. Their interface is a direct copy of iDrive. The rest is meh.

The engine is it's strong point. Dealer service is a joke compared to the true luxury brands.

Dang.......it is looking hotter and hotter, I like it. Keep charging Hyundai, I could be your future customer!

And for all haters, I absolutely LOVE the fact that they copy the best features from everyone, that will generate one awesome car! Instead of every original car out there that have flaws here and there.
Copy cats almost never do it better than the originals, because they're always looking to do it at a lower price point to compete. This car is the perfect example of that. They copy everything from the marques they want to compete with, but do absolutely nothing better but sell it cheaper.

I test drove an R-spec a few weeks ago and while impressed by what it was for the price point, it wasn't close to being in the ballpark of a true Tier 1 car.

If they were able to bring something new to the table at a lower price point it might truly steal some buyers away, but as it sits, it's just an alternative for those that can't/won't spend the $$$ for a MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus.
Old 02-20-13, 09:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks slick.

but I have a feeling they're gonna put that ugly hexagon grille on it.
Old 02-20-13, 10:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I like it minus the Bentley badging....are they serious?
Old 02-20-13, 10:39 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting. I had created a thread on this 3 months ago and was attacked by two individuals here(who shall not be named) about "people not wanting to see cars in trash bags" and "favoring cheats". To the OP, it's good that at least you're not that biased and do not let "fanboyism" cloud your judgement. Hyundai does practice shady tactics from time to time, but at least they are trying to intensely better themselves at a rapid pace.

My respect for them is that they provide an alternative for those who live in developing nations and can't afford luxury or premium marques at inflated prices, but want similar features. I see when I visit less fortunate, but still comfortable family friends in parts of Africa who can't afford a Lexus ES or GS locally at $60-70k, let alone an E-Class($80-90k), now having much cheaper alternatives from mainstream brands like Hyundai at $35-40k. That may be off-topic, but it's how I see things concerning Hyundai. Toyota, Honda, and Mitsubishi are considered priced too high for locals, so a Camry costing $50k isn't a shocker nor a Corolla at $30k. Once again, I do not like the Genesis "DH" interior design, but feel the exterior looks much better.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-21-13 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Toyota in Africa/Caribbean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread