Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 07:36 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting
But what Hyundai has actually built here is the spiritual successor to the first Lexus LS400. That’s especially true of the rear-drive, V-8–powered Ultimate version we’ve just tested.
Old 09-11-14, 12:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default For those who don't want to click the link

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passsenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $55,700 (base price: $52,450)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 307 cu in, 5038 cc
Power: 420 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 383 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 118.5 in
Length: 196.5 in
Width: 74.4 in Height: 58.3 in
Curb weight: 4601 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 12.3 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 27.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.6 sec @ 105 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 167 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 15/23 mpg
C/D observed: 19 mpg

Hyundai might be aiming this second-generation Genesis sedan directly at the Mercedes-Benz E-class. And it might plagiarize from another European luxury carmaker, Audi (see its tailpipes, interior trim, and grille). But what Hyundai has actually built here is the spiritual successor to the first Lexus LS400. That’s especially true of the rear-drive, V-8–powered Ultimate version we’ve just tested.

We mean that as a compliment, by the way. Yes, the new Genesis is more car than the 25-year-old Lexus in every possible way. It’s larger, quicker, much more powerful, 661 pounds heavier, and a little thirstier. But its calm, quiet demeanor is spot on. The Genesis’s baby-butt-smooth 5.0-liter V-8 reminds us that, while luxury carmakers are abandoning V-8s in favor of forced-induction six-cylinder engines, the bent-eight remains the configuration of choice for those who prioritize silken operation. The engine teams with an eight-speed automatic to deliver a seemingly frictionless propulsion system.

Don’t take the powertrain’s hairlessness to mean it’s wimpy. The 420-hp engine hustles the 4601-pound Genesis to 60 mph in 5.0 seconds and on through the quarter-mile in 13.6 seconds at 105 mph. That’s about a half-second behind the Mercedes E550 4MATIC in both measures, but that Benz is a rocket ship—one that will be replaced by a turbo V-6–powered car this fall. The 19-inch Hankooks help produce solid braking (from 70 mph in 167 feet) and roadholding (0.86 g) results. Our decibel meter says that the Genesis is quieter at idle (39 dBA) and at a 70-mph cruise (70 dBA) than the impressively serene Mercedes.

Surely, though, just as in aspirational Hyundais and Kias before it, the Genesis’s chassis systems reveal the car’s second-tier status, right? Nope, not this time. With some suspension-tuning help from Lotus Engineering, the Genesis is surprisingly well balanced. The body’s motions are disciplined, displaying none of the floppiness of the Kia K900, which sits on the current Hyundai Equus platform. Wheel-impact quality and overall ride stability are an order of magnitude better than in the first Genesis.

And compared with the handling prowess of its predecessor, well, this car actually has handling prowess. We were cruising at a comfortably elevated pace on an empty expressway when we hopped off at an exit with an unexpectedly tight right-left feature. Not only was the Genesis unruffled by the experience, but we actually had fun ushering the big boy through this passage. Fun. In a Hyundai luxury car. Didn’t see that coming.

The spirited zing is partly due to steering that feels as if it were tuned by the same people who did the suspension. It is linear in its response and has a modicum of feel while isolating your mitts from bad vibrations.

While the interior fittings aren’t quite up to the standard set by the best from Europe, the cabin’s overall design and function vault the new Genesis out of the near-luxury ghetto. The big navigation and information screen is crisp and bright and easy to, um, navigate. The seats are cushy but supportive; our example had cream-colored leather that, along with the medium-blue exterior, gave the thing a pleasantly but not oppressively nautical feel. Rear-seat room is generous, and the bench is nicely formed with a supportive bottom cushion. Our only minor quibble is with the start-up/shut-down jingle that the car makes as a sort of salutation to the driver. It sounds conspicuously—distressingly—like those soothing tones played at the end of NBC’s The More You Know public-service announcements.

We suppose that for more than $50,000, the Genesis 5.0 should be good. Ours, with the Ultimate package, had a head-up display, big-screen navigation, a Lexicon sound system, electronic dampers, power trunklid, and something called Dual-Mode Vent Control. That brought the price to $55,700. Hyundai believes that most buyers will choose V-6–powered cars, which are available with either rear- or four-wheel drive. Those start as low as $38,950. Still, if you want the full neo–Lexus LS400 rolling-bank-vault experience, get the V-8.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...50-test-review
Old 09-11-14, 04:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice review and high praise. i doubt genesis sales will be anything great, but the car itself is very respectable and an amazing value.
Old 09-11-14, 08:58 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 09-11-14, 09:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Doesn't work for me, wheels look to 'busy' for this car and detracts from it

Last edited by bagwell; 09-11-14 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 09:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can't wait to see the new Genesis on the road.
Saw my first one parked the other day....gotta say it was pretty stunning....

not that I'm looking to buy right now but....I would definitely buy one over an ES...and would def cross-shop with GS.
Old 09-11-14, 10:05 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell

not that I'm looking to buy right now but....I would definitely buy one over an ES...and would def cross-shop with GS.
Here in nyc I'm seeing more n more of em, shockingly enough i have yet to see an awd as you'd expect in the northeast
Old 09-11-14, 10:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

off topic a little but I was reading reviews of the 2012 Rspec and people are very happy with that vehicle . I know a few here have bought the older model . Just curious how stiff the suspension is the Rspec?
Old 09-12-14, 08:44 AM
rebornkhj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell

I test drove 2015 genesis v6 it was actually very impressive that it drove like german cars. Even though its pretty heavy sedan it drove very smooth with lots of power but only thing i didnt like was the interior quality. Thats why I got 2014 gs350 fsport instead. Lexus interior is almost same level as benz and probably better than bmw and audi but this new genesis still used cheap plastics. Hope hyundai to use very high quality materials at least in the genesis and the equus.
Old 09-12-14, 09:00 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rebornkhj
I test drove 2015 genesis v6 it was actually very impressive that it drove like german cars. Even though its pretty heavy sedan it drove very smooth with lots of power but only thing i didnt like was the interior quality. Thats why I got 2014 gs350 fsport instead. Lexus interior is almost same level as benz and probably better than bmw and audi but this new genesis still used cheap plastics. Hope hyundai to use very high quality materials at least in the genesis and the equus.
How about improved. Hyundai is still playing the value card and 'very high quality materials' would inflate the price and negate the purpose. Would you get an Equus if it were the same price as a LS, A8, XJ, 7-Series or S-Class?
Old 09-12-14, 11:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
those are some horrible rims and fitment.
Old 09-12-14, 01:38 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ no Hyundai logo back or front :eek
Old 09-12-14, 03:10 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
^ no Hyundai logo back or front :eek
The genesis model generally used the wing badge since it started.
Old 09-15-14, 07:43 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rebornkhj
Did you test the base model V6 or top trim Ultimate? From my experience the difference is interior quality between the 2 trim levels is night and day.
Old 09-15-14, 04:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Did you test the base model V6 or top trim Ultimate? From my experience the difference is interior quality between the 2 trim levels is night and day.
Even in BMW's like the 5-Series (IMO) you gotta opt for the ceramic controls which make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread