Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 03:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, some nice filming, but I think they got the topic backwards. They are essentially trying to sell self-driving cars to driving enthusiasts....that's putting the cart before the horse.

Notice also (though the video doesn't come right out and say it) the subtle pitch to current drivers of German luxury cars by the background Waltz-music? The ad, right or wrong, is obviously trying to suggest that the Korean-sourced Genesis beats the Germans at their own game.
Your "perception" of the Waltz music, written by an Austrian composer Johann Strauss II, is a huge stretch of your imagination. It is not trying to suggest anything on the German luxury brands. The song is quite prevalent in Korea, it's even played in every Korean Air flight as it is taxiing.
Old 07-10-14, 05:22 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Finally saw the Genesis in the wild and it sure is a looker (at least from behind). Interestingly I saw it by a K900 and by looks alone the Gen wins hands down. I think Hyundai has a winner on their hands.
Old 07-10-14, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Your "perception" of the Waltz music, written by an Austrian composer Johann Strauss II, is a huge stretch of your imagination. It is not trying to suggest anything on the German luxury brands. The song is quite prevalent in Korea, it's even played in every Korean Air flight as it is taxiing.
Perhaps, but you have to consider that this is an ad. In ads, the makers often subtly try and to appeal to people's emotions. That's one way of getting the message across without actually saying it in words. Another good example was with the old Michelin tire ads which showed infants and very small children without actually mentioning them, and using the phrase "So much is riding on your tires". They were (obviously) appealing to a mother's maternal instinct.
Old 07-10-14, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what part of it says they are trying to sell ppl who loves driving?

mike you gotta start trying to enjoy things for what they are rather than trying to take things out of context in most occasions
I don't think I was actually taking it out of context, Henry. That's often the way that ad-makers operate.....see my reply to pbm317 just above.

But you're right....it's not worth arguing over.
Old 07-10-14, 07:57 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps, but you have to consider that this is an ad. In ads, the makers often subtly try and to appeal to people's emotions. That's one way of getting the message across without actually saying it in words. Another good example was with the old Michelin tire ads which showed infants and very small children without actually mentioning them, and using the phrase "So much is riding on your tires". They were (obviously) appealing to a mother's maternal instinct.
I agree, they use these subliminal tactics in ads all the time. A lot of time, money, and research is put into things like this. Of course the music is no coincidence. How much emphasis it should get over else in the ad? Not sure, but the music was carefully chosen for a reason.
Old 07-11-14, 12:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what part of it says they are trying to sell ppl who loves driving?

mike you gotta start trying to enjoy things for what they are rather than trying to take things out of context in most occasions
The ad is very good. It has nothing to do with ppl who love driving cars, nor does it have anything to do with self driving.

The ad gets its point across very clear, the new Genesis is an advanced, contemporary car that belongs with the next evolution of cars that we are about to see front all major manufacturers.
Old 07-11-14, 12:20 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that auto front detection is cool but all that lane detection and front detection seems to be more of a bother than it is helpful.

so many of these features are more distracting than it is helpful. when I test drove the cadillac CTS with lane departure, it got it wrong 50 percent of the time and it just keeps u guessing what all the alerts were.
Old 07-18-14, 10:07 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hyundai Genesis R-Spec V8 Design Study for High-Po Luxury Sedan

Plopping in the big Tau 5.0-liter V8, with which it can already be had, but boosted twin turbos, under the hood of the all-new Hyundai Genesis would be an excellent idea.

The sleek, rear-wheel driven sedan would get a significant boost from the factory 429 hp and 376 lb-ft (509 Nm) of torque and probably a zero to sixty time somewhere in the low fours. It would even get a cool name: the Genesis R-Spec.

What would it look like? Well, the rendering by AutoProjecoes paints a picture of that, though, we don’t think it will get a front bumper copied straight off the new BMW M-cars. Aside from that, yeah, we think there’s a place for it and it definitely should get made.

The digital modder suggests that the V8 engine used would need its power boosted closer to the BMW M5’s levels, though, that seems like a bit too much hassle (and performance) from a company still not terribly experienced with such vehicles.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/hyu...ign-study.html
Old 07-18-14, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I know it's render, but I'm somewhat smitten
Old 07-18-14, 05:04 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that lower front end is literally off an M car though....
Old 07-18-14, 07:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Indeed. Genesis M-Spec
Old 07-18-14, 07:51 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tantrix
that auto front detection is cool but all that lane detection and front detection seems to be more of a bother than it is helpful.

so many of these features are more distracting than it is helpful. when I test drove the cadillac CTS with lane departure, it got it wrong 50 percent of the time and it just keeps u guessing what all the alerts were.
I beg to differ. I have no idea how accurate these features are on CTS or the new Genesis, but I can tell you with conviction that these features are extremely accurate on my 2014 S550. I always drive with these features activated as part of the Distronic Plus on the S550.
Old 07-19-14, 07:41 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoster
Yes they clearly say photoshop
Old 07-25-14, 08:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never consider a Hyundai but this is a very attractive car in person. Hyundai is serious.
Old 09-10-14, 07:22 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-hyundai-genesis-50-test-review

Another review, this time on the 5.0 model. Fairly positive overall

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread