Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 11:06 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
There has been a couple but the motoring press is rarely ever excited to test boring cars.
coming from a guy who drives an LS? really?

and don't be silly. by your logic, there shouldn't be any reviews for many other luxury cars that aren't sports oriented.
i'm sure there will be a comparison test between genesis vs. 5/a6/E, genesis vs. 300, etc, etc.

Last edited by hlee12; 05-28-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 11:34 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

And reviews have not praised it as some sport sedan. Lotus also helped Isuzu.
maybe they are saving for an R-spec?

every review i've read basically says it's a huge improvement in driving dynamics department. maybe Lotus did help hyundai.
Old 05-28-14, 12:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by hlee12
coming from a guy who drives an LS? really?

and don't be silly. by your logic, there shouldn't be any reviews for many other luxury cars that aren't sports oriented.
i'm sure there will be a comparison test between genesis vs. 5/a6/E, genesis vs. 300, etc, etc.
"Coming from the guy that drives an LS" Please tell us what you drive since its not in your signature.

I'm sorry do you have press credentials too? I thought so. The fact of the matter is the press does not get excited to drive boring cars, this has nothing to do with Hyundai which you are defending and more to do with the car. A new Jaguar F-type has a line out the door of press that wants to drive the car. A new Genesis will not have that same type of response. The new M3/M4 has a billion press reviewers that want to test it. The new Mitsubishi Mirage? Good luck.

maybe they are saving for an R-spec?

every review i've read basically says it's a huge improvement in driving dynamics department. maybe Lotus did help hyundai.
The last R-spec was a fast car but it was no sports sedan. Of course you would tell us the car handles like a 911 and is the standard in class.

Old 05-28-14, 12:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I got to check out one today and I'm very impressed. Car was silver with a grey interior and I think it looks great. This was a loaded V-6 model with the panoramic sun roof, premium leather, NAV, smart cruise, etc. Sticker was $46K. Lots of front seat room, similar to my LS. I'm 6'3" and weigh 240 so room is important. This is one of the few cars I can drive without the seat being all the way back. The rear seat looked to be short of leg room with the driver's seat set for me, but I was able to sit comfortably with about 1-2" knee room to the seat back. Headroom was fine both in front and back. I expected some difficulty getting into the back seat because of the sloping roofline, but it was not a problem. Vastly better than the new CTS! This is not a sports sedan despite any ads. It is smooth and quiet with lots of room.

This is not a competitor for the LS, but really competes with the ES as an entry level luxury car. It was equipped like an ES350 UL, but was priced over $3000 less.

Steve
Old 05-28-14, 12:26 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

"Coming from the guy that drives an LS" Please tell us what you drive since its not in your signature.

I'm sorry do you have press credentials too? I thought so. The fact of the matter is the press does not get excited to drive boring cars, this has nothing to do with Hyundai which you are defending and more to do with the car. A new Jaguar F-type has a line out the door of press that wants to drive the car. A new Genesis will not have that same type of response. The new M3/M4 has a billion press reviewers that want to test it. The new Mitsubishi Mirage? Good luck.

The last R-spec was a fast car but it was no sports sedan. Of course you would tell us the car handles like a 911 and is the standard in class.

i don't know what most posters drive here. do you? have you been to their house? did you actually see them drive? would you believe me if i say i drive s8? 335i? or hyundai elantra? why does this matter to you? i'm very curious. this is a car chat forum discussing car matters. i'm a vwvortex regular, not many people advertise what they drive. i'm sure many people including myself don't get a kick out of posting what they drive online. it's trivial to me. i could careless what you drive. i drive a decent car. nothing fancy. if i sell it, i'll probably get $18k out of it. but i do love my colnago - only posession i'm proud of.

what you said in your post is basically saying 'genesis is boring'. don't twist what you already said. if they find genesis boring, then i'm pretty much sure they would find LS boring too. LS is a big luxury cruiser, not a canyon carver.
Old 05-28-14, 12:31 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

please show me where i said last gen R-spec was 911 like. please. i don't even remember how last gen drove. it was such a long time ago. it was not memorable. i'm starting to think that you are confusing me to some other posters here.

i'm very critical of hyundai/kia. i'm proud of them, but i'm also very critical of them. but this genesis is 8.5/10 in my opinion. it's a huge improvement. test drove it and i liked it. it's something i would consider buying if i want a 45k large sedan.
Old 05-28-14, 12:34 PM
LexFather

i don't know what most posters drive here. do you? have you been to their house? did you actually see them drive? would you believe me if i say i drive s8? 335i? or hyundai elantra? why does this matter to you? i'm very curious. this is a car chat forum discussing car matters. i'm a vwvortex regular, not many people advertise what they drive. i'm sure many people including myself don't get a kick out of posting what they drive online. it's trivial to me. i could careless what you drive. i drive a decent car. nothing fancy. if i sell it, i'll probably get $18k out of it. but i do love my colnago - only posession i'm proud of.

what you said in your post is basically saying 'genesis is boring'. don't twist what you already said. if they find genesis boring, then i'm pretty much sure they would find LS boring too. LS is a big luxury cruiser, not a canyon carver.
Wait so you try to make a joke that I drive a LS then get defensive when I ask what do you drive? lol. Okay I also drive a GS F-sport, which is arguably sportiest in class. I also have press credentials and talk and work with the press. I'm not typing to type, I'm explaining to spwolf why he hasn't seen a ton of reviews yet.

So you careless about what I drive but mention it. Is this real life right now?

You are basing my opinion on one car I've owned? That is not my frame of reference buddy. My frame of reference goes waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy past that. When is that last time you have tracked your car or been to the track? What other vehicles do you drive on a weekly, monthly, yearly basis? Please don't confuse my opinion based on a car you saw in my signature.

I suggest maybe not get so defensive for Hyundai on a Lexus forum when I explain to spwolf and answer his question.

Old 05-28-14, 12:35 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I got to check out one today and I'm very impressed. Car was silver with a grey interior and I think it looks great. This was a loaded V-6 model with the panoramic sun roof, premium leather, NAV, smart cruise, etc. Sticker was $46K. Lots of front seat room, similar to my LS. I'm 6'3" and weigh 240 so room is important. This is one of the few cars I can drive without the seat being all the way back. The rear seat looked to be short of leg room with the driver's seat set for me, but I was able to sit comfortably with about 1-2" knee room to the seat back. Headroom was fine both in front and back. I expected some difficulty getting into the back seat because of the sloping roofline, but it was not a problem. Vastly better than the new CTS! This is not a sports sedan despite any ads. It is smooth and quiet with lots of room.

This is not a competitor for the LS, but really competes with the ES as an entry level luxury car. It was equipped like an ES350 UL, but was priced over $3000 less.

Steve
as far as the size goes it's somewhere between GS and LS. it was very roomy. and you are right - the most natural competitor will be ES and any other cars priced between 35-50k. but ES would be it's #1 competitor. GS too, but more ES than GS.
Old 05-28-14, 12:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Hlee12 and Lexfather, take the personal commentary about what each of you drive, press credentials, etc to PM should you wish to continue it.

Let's keep this thread on topic about the Genesis Sedan please.
Old 05-28-14, 12:48 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Wait so you try to make a joke that I drive a LS then get defensive when I ask what do you drive? lol. Okay I also drive a GS F-sport, which is arguably sportiest in class. I also have press credentials and talk and work with the press. I'm not typing to type, I'm explaining to spwolf why he hasn't seen a ton of reviews yet.

So you careless about what I drive but mention it. Is this real life right now?

You are basing my opinion on one car I've owned? That is not my frame of reference buddy. My frame of reference goes waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy past that. When is that last time you have tracked your car or been to the track? What other vehicles do you drive on a weekly, monthly, yearly basis? Please don't confuse my opinion based on a car you saw in my signature.

I suggest maybe not get so defensive for Hyundai on a Lexus forum when I explain to spwolf and answer his question.

when did i ever joked about LS? maybe it's just me, but this Genesis is alot like LS. poorman's version of it. LS is not a canyon carver, and i'm sure you would know that because you drive it every day. both genesis and LS are roomy luxury cars. genesis is actually closer to LS in terms of size than GS. so IMO your comment was ironic. if you have LFA or 911, then your post would've made sense.

and why would i drive cars in a track? i'm sure most of us here are every day drivers who are interested in automotive news. i don't even own a car with a manual shift anymore. do people really drive brand new LS around a track? that's new.

obviously i'm here because i'm a 'hyundai troll'. i think it's an exciting new product that shows how far hyundai has come. i'm certain many other non 'hyundai troll' are interested in this car.

Last edited by hlee12; 05-28-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 12:59 PM
LexFather

when did i ever joked about LS? you implied genesis is boring. maybe it's just me, but this Genesis is alot like LS. poorman's version of it. LS is not a canyon carver, and i'm sure you would know that because you drive it every day. both genesis and LS are roomy luxury cars. genesis is actually closer to LS in terms of size than GS.

and why would i drive cars in a track? i'm sure most of us here are every day drivers who are interested in automotive news. i don't even own a car with a manual shift anymore. do people really drive brand new LS around a track? that's new. if i had an LS, i would probably drive it like a grandpa and just baby it. not track it. i know LS damn too well. every damn korean male over 50+ drive one here. it's probably the most popular car among asian male over 50+. i'm not joking.

i know this is a lexus forum, but why are you posting in a hyundai post? obviously i'm here because i'm a 'hyundai troll', but you on the other hand should not even come here because obviously you find genesis very boring. i think it's an exciting new product that shows how far hyundai has come. i'm certain many other non 'hyundai troll' are interested in this car.
hlee, I helped build this forum for over a decade. You are taking serious offense to my reply to spwolf but it is true. The media gets excited about exciting cars. They do not get excited about non sporty cars or cars perceived to be boring. Considering even with improvements the Genesis will likely be the least sportiest in class, you can maybe understand why the media isn't exactly lining up to test the car and do reviews. The media will not get excited when the new RX is released. They will get excited to test the RC F.

I don't drive the LS everyday. It is also a F-sport which is a far cry from an LS in the past. Let me explain some things about it
-sport tuned air suspension
-brembo brakes
-LSD (limited slip differential)
-PaddleShifters
-Sport + mode which changes not just throttle response but the suspension as well
-RevMatch which helps with faster driving when the car slows down
-19" BBS wheels stock

It drives unlike any LS before it and reviews for it were very positive. I can't wait for the next generation or the full LS F. The press actually is curious and wants to drive F-sport cars. A regular LS or Lexus, less so. The F-sport sub-brand is created for excitement and it has worked for Lexus.

The data shows that the people interested in this car are mostly Camry/Accord owners moving up and loyal Hyuundai owners. According to Hyundai they make up 85% of sales. Conquest sales from luxury marques were 15% of sales. So no, most won't be interested in it on a luxury forum.

Old 05-28-14, 01:10 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

hlee, I helped build this forum for over a decade. You are taking serious offense to my reply to spwolf but it is true. The media gets excited about exciting cars. They do not get excited about non sporty cars or cars perceived to be boring. Considering even with improvements the Genesis will likely be the least sportiest in class, you can maybe understand why the media isn't exactly lining up to test the car and do reviews. The media will not get excited when the new RX is released. They will get excited to test the RC F.

I don't drive the LS everyday. It is also a F-sport which is a far cry from an LS in the past. Let me explain some things about it
-sport tuned air suspension
-brembo brakes
-LSD (limited slip differential)
-PaddleShifters
-Sport + mode which changes not just throttle response but the suspension as well
-RevMatch which helps with faster driving when the car slows down
-19" BBS wheels stock

It drives unlike any LS before it and reviews for it were very positive. I can't wait for the next generation or the full LS F. The press actually is curious and wants to drive F-sport cars. A regular LS or Lexus, less so. The F-sport sub-brand is created for excitement and it has worked for Lexus.

The data shows that the people interested in this car are mostly Camry/Accord owners moving up and loyal Hyuundai owners. According to Hyundai they make up 85% of sales. Conquest sales from luxury marques were 15% of sales. So no, most won't be interested in it on a luxury forum.
so if Rspec has all the goodies, you wouldn't call it boring?

there are many camry/accord owners moving up to 3 series, ES, caddy, etc etc. so some people in the luxury forum do appreciate what hyundai has done. just read most posts here. some positive, some negative.

here is another positive review.

if i was in the market then genesis would be a strong candidate. this is coming from a guy who've owned 3 bimmers in past 15 years. believe it or not.
Old 05-28-14, 01:16 PM
LexFather

so if Rspec has all the goodies, you wouldn't call it boring?

there are many camry/accord owners moving up to 3 series, ES, caddy, etc etc. so some people in the luxury forum do appreciate what hyundai has done. just read most posts here. some positive, some negative.

here is another positive review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kJ4WnRFMhkU

if i had babies and look into move up, then genesis would be a strong candidate. this is coming from a guy who've owned 3 bimmers in past 15 years. believe it or not.
R-spec (to my knowledge) was a badge, a larger engine and a bodykit. Maybe the next gen adds some other enhancements. The Genesis coupe R-spec included more additions and was a great buy.

I have stated the Genesis is a clear step up. It is a very solid entry starting with the last generation. Nowhere am I nor it seems anyone here stating it is a bad car. Its a good car.

Hyundai broke the numbers down, this is their data. Posts are nice but we have the data.
. Here is Hyundai explaining sales breakdown's on the Genesis. It is a good listen.

Note only 15% of buyers of the Genesis are from luxury brands.

Old 05-28-14, 01:37 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Getting 15% of their sales from luxury brands sounds pretty good to me. Before Acura lost their way, it was an outstanding concept based on the original GM model. Give the Chevy driver a car to move up to and keep him in the "family". Honda had the Accord selling in great numbers, but no place for customers to go as they made more money and wanted more luxurious cars. Acura was not created to take sales from existing Mercedes and BMW customers, but to keep the Accord owners from moving over to the German luxury brands. It succeeded for quite a while, then somehow they drifted off to Neverland.

With the Sonata selling in large numbers, it makes sense to try to keep people wanting to move up in the Hyundai family. Just as the original Acura Legend was already being manufactured and sold in Japan as the Honda Legend, the Genesis was already a home market car in Korea.

Steve
Old 05-28-14, 02:41 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a very nice car especially in the 39k base range. even better if u wait a year and get it for 31k.

but u can't help to think about how hard they have tried to look like their competitors, they mind as well put on the audi logo. It's like free advertising for audi.

u never see mercedes or bmw biting on the audi front grille. Mercedes was able to reinvent their front grill all the while staying true to their heritage. BMW did the same. They did not opt to all of the sudden, do the drop down audi grille.

so that's where the big flop is. If it does anything good, it does being a wannabe really good.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread