Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 06:47 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default genesis

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I drove one, As always they look great. When you dig down deep and REALLY look at the details.....that;s where you come to the understanding WHY its so much cheaper than the comparables. Cheap materials, cheap switchgear, etc. Just nowhere near the quality and finish to others. They're getting closer though.
Thanks for the reply..it appeals because of the features and content...I will drive it. Will see how close it comes to my LS for ride. I am hoping for quiet ride and no LS wind noise. Mike
Old 05-21-14, 06:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
5.2 0-60mph seconds is really lethargic for a V8 with 420hp
weight obviously a factor, but 5.2 0-60 is definitely not slow. and your IS350 is tiny and light in comparison.

Originally Posted by yowps3
The only aspect of the interior I truly like are the seats. Everything else is not quite up to par. Which isn't good if Hyundai wants to pull off an LS400
well obviously they're not trying to 'pull off an ls400' with this genesis.
Old 05-21-14, 09:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mike171333
Thanks for the reply..it appeals because of the features and content...I will drive it. Will see how close it comes to my LS for ride. I am hoping for quiet ride and no LS wind noise. Mike
I think you'd be better comparing the LS to the Equus if you want that kind of isolation.
Old 05-21-14, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah its not going to be as smooth and quiet as the LS, it isn't meant to be. Try an Equus.
Old 05-22-14, 08:46 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Genesis is too heavy but the upside is that it is much more refined than the last generation and many respectable publications describe it as right in line with the 5/E/GS/A6/CTS. Old school luxury was always based on size, weight and solidity remember and there's nothing a pair of turbos can't fix. Bentleys, S-Classes, Rolls Royce's are all 5-6000 lbs but move with authority.
Old 05-22-14, 09:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
weight obviously a factor, but 5.2 0-60 is definitely not slow. and your IS350 is tiny and light in comparison.
Well, you have to consider that V6 will be pretty slow, slower than Camry... some mags have estimated 0-60 for V6 in high 6's... but really, we dont have any reviews on the car, isnt it on sale by now? Weird.
Old 05-22-14, 09:36 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how is the Genesis Chassis and Handling character ? is it comparable to the Q50 ?
Old 05-22-14, 09:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
how is the Genesis Chassis and Handling character ? is it comparable to the Q50 ?
Genesis is MUCH bigger than the Q50. It's not going to be as nimble, tight as the Q50. It's even larger than the Q70.

Chassis and handling is definitely in line with the intended functions. Super solid structure and improved dynamics over the outgoing model for sure. It won't be an M3/M5, but it should definitely placate nearly anyone shopping in the midsize luxury segment.
Old 05-22-14, 04:11 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

I was able to see this car in person. Looks pretty nice but not as low as in the internet show car pictures. It looked much higher off the ground with much more wheel gap.

for 39k base model with navi, rear view, almost fully loaded without the sunroof. I'd opt for this car over the bmw 5 series / 6 series 4 door.The profile looks very similar to the bmw 5 and 6 series sedans. But u can now get a used 5 series that's a few years old for a lot less.

the interior is pretty nice. Seems on par with it's japanese counterparts. I'm not sure how some of u are nit picking the interior but it looks pretty good to me. U do get a lot for your money with this car. Looks pretty good with a design that will look good for years to come. It's simple, long and sleek.
Old 05-22-14, 04:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I was able to see this car in person. Looks pretty nice but not as low as in the internet show car pictures. It looked much higher off the ground with much more wheel gap.

for 39k base model with navi, rear view, almost fully loaded without the sunroof. I'd opt for this car over the bmw 5 series / 6 series 4 door.The profile looks very similar to the bmw 5 and 6 series sedans. But u can now get a used 5 series that's a few years old for a lot less.

the interior is pretty nice. Seems on par with it's japanese counterparts. I'm not sure how some of u are nit picking the interior but it looks pretty good to me. U do get a lot for your money with this car. Looks pretty good with a design that will look good for years to come. It's simple, long and sleek.
Did you actually sit in it though? The things you touch and feel, not just peering through glass. How sturdy are the materials, assembly/fit and finish? I don't think anyone can ding the car for being bad because it represents huge value and has all the modern ammenities one could ask. The difference is how it makes you feel vs the competition. Refinement is key to success and it will take time. A 2nd generation will reduce but not rid of all the frills. As it stands we should be happy a V6/V8 RWD/AWD sedan is being offered and more thrilled that Hyundai is backing it up for a new gen.
Old 05-22-14, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pbm317
Genesis is MUCH bigger than the Q50. It's not going to be as nimble, tight as the Q50. It's even larger than the Q70.

Chassis and handling is definitely in line with the intended functions. Super solid structure and improved dynamics over the outgoing model for sure. It won't be an M3/M5, but it should definitely placate nearly anyone shopping in the midsize luxury segment.
The Q50 is not nimble. I imagine it and the genesis drive similar, laid back Lincoln like luxury.

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
The new Genesis is too heavy but the upside is that it is much more refined than the last generation and many respectable publications describe it as right in line with the 5/E/GS/A6/CTS. Old school luxury was always based on size, weight and solidity remember and there's nothing a pair of turbos can't fix. Bentleys, S-Classes, Rolls Royce's are all 5-6000 lbs but move with authority.
Did you really bring up Rolls, Bentley? Lol

Old 05-22-14, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The Q50 is not nimble. I imagine it and the genesis drive similar, laid back Lincoln like luxury.

I guess you're talking about the standard Q50 model without the trick-electron steer-by-wire.

While i have not directly sampled a Q50 per se, I did a full review on its predecessor G25 AWD, and, while the interior was decent and the car well-assembled, I wouldn't consider it a "luxury" ride by any means. Its stiff underpinnings were well into sports-sedan territory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 06:58 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

why are u guys comparing it with a q50 ? the q50 and lexus IS are girl cars.

the genesis is a lot of car for the same price as a compact luxury. U get midsize to fullsize full luxury for the price of a compact luxury sedan. the base comes with navi and back up cam along with a bunch of other features, no sunroof.
Old 05-22-14, 07:01 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

I did sit in it.

it feels a lot like a BMW, much more sportier feel than the previous gen genesis.

you can touch the instrument panel while your right hand is on the shift ****. it's very different interior.

exterior is long and lean with nice side profile bone structure from grille all the back to the back tail lamps. it's simple yet aggressive and non annoying.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Did you actually sit in it though? The things you touch and feel, not just peering through glass. How sturdy are the materials, assembly/fit and finish? I don't think anyone can ding the car for being bad because it represents huge value and has all the modern ammenities one could ask. The difference is how it makes you feel vs the competition. Refinement is key to success and it will take time. A 2nd generation will reduce but not rid of all the frills. As it stands we should be happy a V6/V8 RWD/AWD sedan is being offered and more thrilled that Hyundai is backing it up for a new gen.
Old 05-22-14, 07:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
why are u guys comparing it with a q50 ? the q50 and lexus IS are girl cars.
that is inappropriate stereotyping. please don't do that again.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread