Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 07:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really care about the car but those taillight employ proper lighting tech and style. As a matter of fact it looks like the best styled/made taillight out of all luxury manufacturers.

LED tube tech for the win! Why is Lexus "afraid" of this technology?
Old 02-21-13, 07:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

cmk1, sorry if you felt attacked previously. to you and anyone else, suggest you use the report post (triangle sign icon) feature or pm a moderator to review the situation.
Old 02-21-13, 09:10 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Copy cats almost never do it better than the originals, because they're always looking to do it at a lower price point to compete. This car is the perfect example of that. They copy everything from the marques they want to compete with, but do absolutely nothing better but sell it cheaper.

I test drove an R-spec a few weeks ago and while impressed by what it was for the price point, it wasn't close to being in the ballpark of a true Tier 1 car.

If they were able to bring something new to the table at a lower price point it might truly steal some buyers away, but as it sits, it's just an alternative for those that can't/won't spend the $$$ for a MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus.
You said it, it is cheaper. Millions of people buy something just because it is cheaper. Look at Walmart.
Old 02-21-13, 09:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Future Genesis will be nicer for sure but at the same time it will be more expensive too.
Old 02-21-13, 09:43 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks good.

How come no one bitc4ed when the W221 (in 2007) RIP-OFFED the E 65 interior (in 2002), hmmmm?
That left a real bad taste for MB for me
Old 02-21-13, 10:58 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cmk1, sorry if you felt attacked previously. to you and anyone else, suggest you use the report post (triangle sign icon) feature or pm a moderator to review the situation.
Thanks, duly noted! You're actually the one who resolved that little issue for me back then, so you've been of great help times infinity.
Old 02-21-13, 11:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Looks good.

How come no one bitc4ed when the W221 (in 2007) RIP-OFFED the E 65 interior (in 2002), hmmmm?
That left a real bad taste for MB for me
What makes you think they didn't? The W221 caused an uproar because of the E65-inspired interior and the Maybach-esque rear end. As with many things, time changes everything. Luckily the dashboard has enough styling elements and features to set it apart, but the complaints were there loud and clear.
Old 02-21-13, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I see and unsterstand your point Marshall and I'm not trying to be argumentative.
No problem. Your opinion always welcome.

I would just like to see more orginality in design these days and less recycling of righ-angles and soft curves.
Cadillac seems to be one of those who don't just follow the aero/jelly-bean look like they're behind the Pied Piper. I'd say that they have shown some originality. So did Chris Bangle at BMW some years back....though I wasn't impressed with much of what he came up with.
Old 02-21-13, 03:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I looked more closely at the pics and I am very impressed. I kind of agree that the mish mash of styling cues does kind of amount to a great looking car, GS lights without the funky front end, Audi side profile with better reliabilty most likely ( also much much smaller payment), Euro front end styling with contemporary head lamp design, AND a Euro interior that didnt beat the **** of your check book every month. I will be keeping my LS but for the next car I am going to really , for the first time, explore my options. I have always tended to run right back to Lexus. If I have 60k to spend Im not just going to give it to Lexus . I want them to earn it. I will objectively look at the cars and pick the best. Since I am done with buying cars because I like a new car every couple of years ( I get bored) I will be less concerned with long term reliabilty. I want something fun, fast, comfortable, stylish, and something that wont break the bank. I work in a retirement community and I see the Genesis all the time. These retirees are frugal but are older and demand luxury and reliabilty. From the frequency I see them in the area I can assume safely that they are well built cars that provide the luxury and comfort but will not destroy the retirement savings
Old 02-21-13, 05:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but that interior doesn't look that much better than the current generation. In fact, it barely looks improved at all from the current generation. It may end up even being lower quality in terms of materials used. The design and style of the interior is the same tired, imitation design of the current generation.

The competition has nothing to worry about. Life will only continue to get harder for Hyundai. They aren't going to be dominating anything, not when their key competitor is now a much stronger and more aggressive company.

Originally Posted by BNR34
You said it, it is cheaper. Millions of people buy something just because it is cheaper. Look at Walmart.
Well I think that explains your perspective . Looks like you only buy something because it's cheaper, and you don't base your purchase decisions on if something is better. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-21-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 06:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I looked more closely at the pics and I am very impressed. I kind of agree that the mish mash of styling cues does kind of amount to a great looking car, GS lights without the funky front end, Audi side profile with better reliabilty most likely ( also much much smaller payment), Euro front end styling with contemporary head lamp design, AND a Euro interior that didnt beat the **** of your check book every month. I will be keeping my LS but for the next car I am going to really , for the first time, explore my options. I have always tended to run right back to Lexus. If I have 60k to spend Im not just going to give it to Lexus . I want them to earn it. I will objectively look at the cars and pick the best. Since I am done with buying cars because I like a new car every couple of years ( I get bored) I will be less concerned with long term reliabilty. I want something fun, fast, comfortable, stylish, and something that wont break the bank. I work in a retirement community and I see the Genesis all the time. These retirees are frugal but are older and demand luxury and reliabilty. From the frequency I see them in the area I can assume safely that they are well built cars that provide the luxury and comfort but will not destroy the retirement savings
Agreed completely.

We still don't know the longevity of these premium Korean cars yet, they are only a few years old.
Old 02-21-13, 06:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Sorry, but that interior doesn't look that much better than the current generation. In fact, it barely looks improved at all from the current generation. It may end up even being lower quality in terms of materials used. The design and style of the interior is the same tired, imitation design of the current generation.

The competition has nothing to worry about. Life will only continue to get harder for Hyundai. They aren't going to be dominating anything, not when their key competitor is now a much stronger and more aggressive company.
Samsung was crap 10~15 years ago, look at them now.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Well I think that explains your perspective . Looks like you only buy something because it's cheaper, and you don't base your purchase decisions on if something is better. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.
Do you know me in real life? I was just talking about the general public. I care about value, best bang for my buck
Old 02-22-13, 12:13 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a big hyundai and kia fan, really enjoyed the sonata, optima, azera when they came out.

but I gotta say this rendering, if it is close to the real thing, has cookie cutter copy cat design all over it.

all these euro asian car designs are looking too similar now. everyone looks like each other.

except for the americans, u can clearly see chrysler, ford, GM all striving for their own identity and style.
Old 02-22-13, 01:10 AM
JPCENTERS
Driver School Candidate

I love it!
Old 02-22-13, 06:41 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

From what I can tell it will have more of the Azera's styling cues, at least in side profile. I've grown to really like to look of the current Genesis sedan. Nice looking car.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread