Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 10:01 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks very clean! That's one thing Japaneae cars have forget how to do.

It's not bland, not overdone. Just perfect!
Old 10-23-13, 10:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

It appears to have a huge front overhang. If so, too bad. I am still shocked how many automakers continue to use a styling feature that is widely hated.
Also doesn't appear to have a trunk. Another weak styling feature.
I wish them well, but I'm not wowed so far.
Old 10-23-13, 11:43 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are u sure about that? the long front overhang is what makes bmw and mercedes look so good. it's the proportions that make it look sleek. a lot of cars try to make more interior room by cab forward design, but this sacrifices the proportions....long sleek hood and short trunk are what makes a car look good.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It appears to have a huge front overhang. If so, too bad. I am still shocked how many automakers continue to use a styling feature that is widely hated.
Also doesn't appear to have a trunk. Another weak styling feature.
I wish them well, but I'm not wowed so far.
Old 10-23-13, 11:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Reminds me of the child a Mazda6, 6-Series Gran Coupe, A7 and Ford Fusion would have. With that out of the way, I think it looks great. 5.0L V8 R-Spec model anyone..
Infiniti maybe?
Old 10-23-13, 11:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tantrix
are u sure about that? the long front overhang is what makes bmw and mercedes look so good. it's the proportions that make it look sleek. a lot of cars try to make more interior room by cab forward design, but this sacrifices the proportions....long sleek hood and short trunk are what makes a car look good.
long hood and long front overhang are not the same :-)

looks fine on the pics though.
Old 10-23-13, 11:51 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

that's a nice looking car, 35k to 45k and it's a deal, any more than that and it's a "no deal".

but wow that's a cop out copy cat of a design. the front grille is a blatant mimic of audi, it's not even funny. whatever happened to originality ? Audi can easily sue them for this and a group of jury would probably rule in audi's favor.

the side profile is a blatant mimic of the bmw 5 series. the rear...well what does it matter what the rear looks like at this point ?

but hey asian reliability with european looks is a win win for consumers. throw in the 60k mile warranty with lexus IS or bmw 3 series prices and we have a winner!
Old 10-23-13, 11:57 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

how is it not the same ? your not suppose to take the term "long hood' in a literal form. "long hood" means the length of where the hood starts from the windshield to the edge of the grille. NOT LITERALLY the hood that opens.

Originally Posted by spwolf
long hood and long front overhang are not the same :-)

looks fine on the pics though.
Old 10-24-13, 12:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

how is it not the same ?
luxury cars usually have wheels pushed forward so the engine is behind front axle. This is what gives them long hood look. This is how MB coupes have so little space inside while being so large.

front overhang is after the wheels and is what makes cars look bad.
Old 10-24-13, 12:01 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

but darn that front grille. that's risky for hyundai to do.
Old 10-24-13, 12:09 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

I disagree.

in the case of this genesis, if the axle pushes out any further then it will distract the front end design.

but axle placement is not really a concern when u can design the front grille very snouty, so that u get that LOOONG length from start of hood at windshield all the way to the edge of grille. As long as the length is there then the axle placement is no longer part of the equation.

Originally Posted by spwolf
luxury cars usually have wheels pushed forward so the engine is behind front axle. This is what gives them long hood look. This is how MB coupes have so little space inside while being so large.

front overhang is after the wheels and is what makes cars look bad.
Old 10-24-13, 01:00 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree.

in the case of this genesis, if the axle pushes out any further then it will distract the front end design.

but axle placement is not really a concern when u can design the front grille very snouty, so that u get that LOOONG length from start of hood at windshield all the way to the edge of grille. As long as the length is there then the axle placement is no longer part of the equation.
Axle placement is very important for platforms getting designed for multiple drivetrains, and also for weight distribution.

The more weight you have going past the front axle physically impairs the handling ability of the vehicle no matter how hard you cut it compared to vehicles that contain the weight between the two axles (i.e. Audi vs. BMW).
Old 10-24-13, 01:13 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

but we are talking strictly exterior looks.

performance would be a totally different topic.

Originally Posted by whoster
Axle placement is very important for platforms getting designed for multiple drivetrains, and also for weight distribution.

The more weight you have going past the front axle physically impairs the handling ability of the vehicle no matter how hard you cut it compared to vehicles that contain the weight between the two axles (i.e. Audi vs. BMW).
Old 10-24-13, 04:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TI II
Looks like a Q50.
Like the current model it will look like a lot of things.

Yawn.....

Old 10-24-13, 04:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it looks very good.
Much better than the present boring design.
Old 10-24-13, 05:00 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice, but the biggest improvement the Genesis needs is in the general driving dynamics department, but especially suspension refinement. The one I test drove felt extremely unsettled on a certain stretch of highway in my area that every other car I've owned has handled just fine. Seriously felt like you were off-roading. Went to look up some reviews and yep, "unsettled ride" was a big point of criticism. I also thought that suspension and tire noise leaking into an otherwise pretty quiet cabin was very odd. Why go to such great lengths to give a car a quiet interior if you're not going to go all the way and isolate tire/suspension noise. That was annoying. Overall the outgoing Genesis is a very nice car though. Hope the new one continues to improve. I have no doubt that it will.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread