Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 12:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2015 Audi A8

2015 Audi A8

"Standing Tall In The Long Shadow Of The S-Class"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-1273233/

Engine: Twin-Turbo 4.0L V8
Power: 435 HP / 443 LB-FT
Transmission: 8-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 4.4 Seconds
Top Speed: 130 MPH
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 4,400 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 18.4 CU-FT
MPG: 17 City / 29 HWY (est.)
Base Price: $85,000 (est.)

These large-footprint premium sedans have very outspoken fan clubs, for at this scale, a company's design logic is laid out big on the table for all to dissect. Speaking for myself, I am an Audi A8/Volkswagen Phaeton kind of person. I absolutely enjoy the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class and have a certain weakness for the BMW 7 Series, but it's the A8 in this class that yanks me by the ear lobe. The large Japanese models, Jaguar XJ and Hyundai Equus are great work, and the newer Cadillac XTS is good stuff, but I'll still take my A8.

The 2015 model is a mid-life updo for the A8 (and S8), and it is essentially a nice gaggle of commendable tweaks that chisel the exterior some, plush up and personalize the interior, add onboard assistance systems and improve the powertrain's numbers and efficiency. Though this has certainly been a planned exercise, the timing of the work on this A8 will seem like a reaction to the new S-Class, a car that has frankly taken Mercedes onto an untouchable, higher plain.

The main item that Audi stressed at this updated A8's presentation in northern Germany is something which currently cannot be brought over to North America: the optional Matrix LED headlights and the yellow sequential LED turn signals. A regulation from our distant past prevents this type of adaptive light mechanism from imperiling the lives of American drivers.

Driving Notes
  • About every gas and diesel engine available for the European market was present, but only the big muzzer 494-horsepower W12 came in long-wheelbase format. The LWB model is 25 percent of volume in Europe and 75 percent in the US. I zeroed in on a handsome "cuvée silver" 4.0-liter V8 TFSI with cylinder-on-demand, now amped to 429 hp (from the current 414 hp) and boasting improved fuel efficiency.
  • In any of these big-shot cars, I just love to cruise. This latest A8-with-V8 is just the ticket, too. Whether at 150 miles per hour in full-on Dynamic mode of the Audi Drive Select interface or creeping along at 20 mph in the city in Efficiency, the cylinder-on-demand transitions, adaptive air suspension and shifts from the eight-speed Tiptronic transmission are just buttery.
  • Audi has added greater isolation from exterior noise, and it sincerely is as quiet in here as I ever remember a premium car being. The new light brown Unicum leather option is exquisite, massaged and aged with olive extract to save the environment. There are also five additional exterior colors possible now, though what of these may end up in North America is undetermined.
  • The exterior front and rear is more aggressive in its design, with more contour lines introduced, a chrome accent strip connecting the taillights and the massive grille missing a rib now to take it to seven and rein in that whole snout a bit. The front, lower air dam is presented in one continuous piece now, though the S8 retains the sportier sectioned look.
  • New tech for the assistance systems includes active lane assist, park assist with 360-degree sensors and night vision that can also now detect large animals and not just Forrest Gump running on the shoulder. This latter tech vision is displayed in the center of the instrument cluster and it is so good that it struck me as potentially distracting. The A8 also finally gets a standard head-up display.
  • In the cargo vault, space is gained by the rear seat backs being now nearly five inches further forward due to far fewer rear seat electronics being stuffed inside. I was always one of those complaining about the small luggage space in the A8 and I shall now cease.
  • It's a pity that we are not able to get the optional Matrix LED headlights since they are the single finest setup I have ever tested. When the lights sense oncoming traffic, just that portion of the field of vision is dimmed as it follows the passing object. That is, your light is frequently split into two parts, instead of an entire fixed portion left or right being blocked mechanically. Vision is maximized and glare for on-comers is nil, while the corner-following abilities improve. Every manufacturer in this class is bound to get this technology soon and Audi is pushing US authorities hard to make it legal on our streets. For now, our A8 keeps the current swooping LEDs with existing corner-following ability.
  • The 20-inch Pirelli PZeros handled brilliantly all the power and 443 pound-feet of torque from 1,500 through 5,000 rpm of the 4.0-liter V8. That make's for an estimated 4.4-second acceleration run to 60 mph, and I'll not complain ever about that.
  • Pricing is not going to increase much for these newer A8s, so look for this V8-powered base price to hang in at around $85,000 for the standard wheelbase. Our new tweaked A8s and S8s should arrive between March and April of 2014 after starting deliveries in Europe in November 2013. We get the 3.0-liter V6 supercharged TFSI, this V8 in both A8 and S8 power levels, and the recently introduced 3.0-liter TDI rendered even more efficient.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/22/2...ew-quick-spin/
Old 10-23-13, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

amazing how fast the car is.

car is awesome.
Old 10-23-13, 07:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd hit it
Old 10-23-13, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For the first time ever, I like the current 2013 LS so much better than the A8. Lexus did a good job and making the small little changes to the LS to make it so much more appealing.
Old 10-23-13, 07:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For the first time ever, I like the current 2013 LS so much better than the A8. Lexus did a good job and making the small little changes to the LS to make it so much more appealing.
agreed the LS F sport looks good....

Last edited by bagwell; 10-23-13 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-23-13, 09:00 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes agreed, ironically, the LS is the best looking of the Spindle Grill cars from Lexus.
Old 10-23-13, 09:54 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As great as it is, the A8 is very, very bland looking. Shame, really...
Old 10-23-13, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Good looking car, but it does blend with its siblings other than when you see it in person it's massive. The new sequential headlights are nice too. Not sure about that color though
Old 10-23-13, 10:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

looks very dated... thats a problem when you have same design in lower end cars, your flagship doesnt look premium anymore.
Old 10-23-13, 10:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Good looking car, but it does blend with its siblings other than when you see it in person it's massive. The new sequential headlights are nice too. Not sure about that color though
its the color and wheels...(I know this is an S8, but you get the idea)

Old 10-23-13, 11:09 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks very dated... thats a problem when you have same design in lower end cars, your flagship doesnt look premium anymore.
Going by your logic, the same should apply to the LS, which shares the same Spindle Grille inspired design as other Lexii. But of course we know that isn't true, since the LS looks really nice.
Old 10-23-13, 11:31 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bagwell
its the color and wheels...(I know this is an S8, but you get the idea)

Better sure, pictures don't do the A8/S8 justice, one of those have to see it in person
Old 10-23-13, 12:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwong77
Going by your logic, the same should apply to the LS, which shares the same Spindle Grille inspired design as other Lexii. But of course we know that isn't true, since the LS looks really nice.
To each his own, but to me, there is a clear, distinguishable difference between an IS, GS and LS on the road. When I see an Audi, I have to double take to see if it's an A4, A6, A7 or A8. The only one that really sticks out is the A7 because the headlights are more aggressive and the car has the fastback shape at the rear.

I tend to agree with spwolf on this one. Even BMW and Mercedes do a better job of sorting out design cues for different cars. Audi just uses the same shapes and creases everywhere, but increases the wheelbase.
Old 10-23-13, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i agree with that for exterior at least.
Old 10-23-13, 03:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's bigger, faster, and it gets better mileage than my Legacy GT. Oy!

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2015 Audi A8