Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Audi testing all-new, third-gen TT prototype

Old 10-21-13, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Audi testing all-new, third-gen TT prototype

Audi testing all-new, third-gen TT prototype

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-1274829/

It's no big surprise that Audi is working on a new TT. It's been rumored for a while now, and the current model has been on the market since 2006, making it seven years old. But after seeing only some test mules wearing the existing model's sheetmetal, this is the first glimpse we've gotten at what Audi has in store for it's third-gen TT.

Not that we can see all that much with all the camouflage, mind you, but that's still more than we've seen until now. Spied on public roads being benchmarked against the Mercedes-Benz SLK and BMW Z4, the upcoming new TT is still unmistakably a TT, but looks poised to adopt more contemporary styling in keeping with Audi's latest design language, including a larger grille aperture and more squared-off headlights.

The whole thing looks a bit more like a mini-R8, which would make sense if Audi has called off plans for an R4 sports car to slot into the lineup as well. Last we heard, the new TT would arrive late in 2014, when you can bet we'll read all about slightly more powerful but significantly more frugal engines and a raft of new technologies.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/21/audi-tt-spy-shots/
Old 10-23-13, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

Audi's been so quiet with the TT I forgot it exists lol. When the last time a Z4, TT and SLK comparison happened?
Old 10-23-13, 11:07 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed, it feels like this generation of the TT has been around forever.
Old 10-23-13, 12:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

it sells poorly. Its a great looking car but very expensive and small. Kind of like buying a Boxster. You dont see too many of those either. To buy one you need to be well healed, no kids, no large pets, and dont care about having passengers in the car. This means older retired people or yuppies who will eventually need to get rid of it for the kids coming , or either one but with the cash to have multiple cars. Not too common
Old 10-23-13, 12:56 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
it sells poorly. Its a great looking car but very expensive and small. Kind of like buying a Boxster. You dont see too many of those either. To buy one you need to be well healed, no kids, no large pets, and dont care about having passengers in the car. This means older retired people or yuppies who will eventually need to get rid of it for the kids coming , or either one but with the cash to have multiple cars. Not too common
The TTRS is a great car, hangs with the Cayman S, but they discontinued it for this reason. Those who can afford it likely need something bigger, or would just get the Porsche for the image.
Old 10-23-13, 01:11 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope they bring back the TT-RS for the next gen TT!!!
Old 10-23-13, 01:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The TTRS is a great car, hangs with the Cayman S, but they discontinued it for this reason. Those who can afford it likely need something bigger, or would just get the Porsche for the image.
I have to admit I would rather the Porsche over the Audi simply based on the name. I think also the driving dynamics would be superior in the Porsche with the RWD mid engined lay out. The Audi is a AWD front engined vehicle. This is a formula for more under steer than the Porsche
Old 10-23-13, 02:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

that prototype looks a bit big and bulky.
Old 10-23-13, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689

I have to admit I would rather the Porsche over the Audi simply based on the name. I think also the driving dynamics would be superior in the Porsche with the RWD mid engined lay out. The Audi is a AWD front engined vehicle. This is a formula for more under steer than the Porsche
Another kind of meh for me is the engine. Granted it's a strong 2.5L I5 Turbo but it's a 5-Cylinder and odd number cylinders don't sit well with me for some reason
Old 10-23-13, 11:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Always liked the artful, restrained, and modern TT. The fact that these are rare on the road makes it all the more special when driving it. The new one looks promising with it's squinty headlights, cab-foward race car greenhouse, and R8 rear end. Can't go wrong if they copy the R8.
Agreed, the 5 cylinder motor makes me uneasy. I'd be totally happy with a healthy 2.0T, AWD, paddles, and auto shifter +/- detents.
Old 10-24-13, 08:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

External design-wise, I still like the first generation the best
Old 10-24-13, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

True, but Porsches and their mid/rear-engines, especially in the days before stability control, were completely the opposite. They a nasty reputation for being tail happy and for lift-throttle/snap-oversteer, causing spinouts. Modern electronics/chassis-design/tires, of course, have mitigated much of that, but there are still some traces of it.

Kind of like buying a Boxster. You dont see too many of those either. To buy one you need to be well healed, no kids, no large pets, and dont care about having passengers in the car. This means older retired people or yuppies who will eventually need to get rid of it for the kids coming.

.....which, of course, includes the Baby Boomers, one of the largest generations in American history, who are now retiring in record numbers. (Yes, I'm one of them)