Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 clocks 7:37.47 Nürburgring lap time

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Deep Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

"The Name You Expected For The Car You Never Thought They'd Build"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...-28-deep-dive/

To hear Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer for the Chevrolet Camaro, tell it, the brand-new 2014 Z/28 is "the car everyone expects." The modern Camaro concept first debuted at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show, and in early 2014 – over eight years later – the Z/28 will finally be available for public consumption. It is perhaps the most highly anticipated Camaro model to spawn from the modern interpretation of General Motors' 'Murican muscle car. After all, when we first spied the track-focused 1LE, we assumed it would be called Z/28. And then when Chevy surprised us with the ZL1 at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show, we were sort of shocked that it wasn't called Z/28, either.

As you would expect, the questions surrounding a Z/28 model have been flooding in since we first heard the Camaro nameplate would be making a comeback. But Oppenheiser was saving the best for last, saying this actually is the car "no one expects." Through all these years, he had been telling owners, fan-boys and the media that the Z/28 name – "a haloed moniker" – would be reserved for the most hardcore Camaro available.

So, to show us exactly how serious this new Z/28 package is, Chevy invited us out to GM's Milford Proving Grounds for a proper deep dive. And instead of just telling us what the new top-dog Camaro can do, we buckled into the passenger seat of the very car that recently set a 7:37.47 Nürburgring lap time – with the very driver that set the time as our pilot – and stormed the 2.9-mile Milford Road Course.

We've waited a long time to finally greet the Z/28. And boy, has the wait been worth it.

The key thing to keep in mind about the 2014 Camaro Z/28 is that it isn't just another crosstown rival for the Ford Mustang. Sure, the 1LE and Boss 302 are perfectly matched for a fight, and heavyweights ZL1 and Shelby GT500 equally so, but really, there isn't a clear competitor from Ford or even Chrysler for this even more extreme Z/28. (At least, not yet.) Chevy is dead set on venturing off into the land of the Nissan GT-R and Porsche 911 GT3 with its track-focused Z/28, and firmly states that this car is not to be treated as a daily driver. To that end, Chevy is extending the factory warranty on the Z/28 to include track use – the company stands behind the full performance capabilities of this car.

Z/28 models are based off of the refreshed 2014 Camaro, using the slightly redesigned front and rear fascias. But even though this is a higher-end model, the base headlamps and taillamps have been fitted to save weight and reduce cost. In fact, massive weight savings have been applied to the Z/28. Chevy has taken out everything that wasn't a legal necessity or didn't improve performance. Of course, the larger V8 engine adds some heft, as do added bits of aero and the higher caliber chassis, suspension, braking and wheel/tire components. The end result, however, is a Camaro that weighs 3,837 pounds – some 300 pounds less than a ZL1 coupe – and has enough added aero to produce 440 pounds of downforce at 150 miles per hour. The functional aerodynamic enhancements include a front splitter, large rear spoiler, hood vent, reshaped rockers and Gurney lip fender flares.

Compared again to the ZL1, the Z/28 is less powerful, but as we've learned before, engine output isn't everything. Surely, no one will complain about the Z/28's naturally aspirated 7.0-liter V8, officially rated at 505 horsepower at 6,100 rpm and 481 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm. Yes, you could argue that that using GM's supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V8 from the ZL1 and Cadillac's V models would have been a good choice, but simply put, the Bowling Green-assembled LS7, which was also used by the last-generation Corvette Z06, weighs less and still absolutely rocks.

A few tweaks were made to the LS7 during Z/28 development. Pankl titanium connecting rods were added, as well as Mahle pistons, and a revised air intake with K&N cold-air induction and exhaust headers. The 505-hp rating may be the same as the LS7-powered Corvette Z06, but the extra massaging here in the Camaro is what yielded the 481 lb-ft number – 11 more torques than in the 'Vette. The only transmission available is a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual, with close-ratio gearing and a 3.91 final drive ratio – up from 3.45 in the Camaro SS.

More than 190 of the Z/28's parts are unique, with each one focused on solely making this thing the most capable track car in the Camaro lineup. In addition to the LS7 tweaks, the Z/28 marks the first application of a dry sump lubrication system in a Camaro, designed to better handle frequent high revving and the higher g-forces of the Z/28's improved cornering ability. Of course, things get super hot under extreme driving conditions, so to keep it all in check, there's a liquid-to-liquid cooling system for the engine oil (identical to the system used in the Corvette ZR1), and the transmission and differential are kept cool with a high-capacity liquid-to-air system that's similar to what Chevy uses in the Camaro ZL1.

To keep everything steady, Chevy has fitted a beefier Torsen helical limited-slip differential, which we're told cuts lap times on the Milford Road Course by 0.7 seconds. This improved setup is specifically designed to optimize track performance, with built-in programming for corner entry, mid-point and exit. Naturally, higher-quality stoppers were fitted: lightweight, carbon ceramic brakes at all four corners. Up front, the big rotors measure 15.5 inches with fixed, six-piston calipers (in an asymmetric layout for improved clamp-force distribution), and at the back, large 15.4-inch rotors are used with four-piston fixed calipers.

Those brakes are nestled behind lightweight 19-inch alloy wheels all around, wrapped in ultra-sticky (and ultra-meaty) 305/30ZR19 Pirelli Trofeo R tires. Yes, larger 20-inch wheels are available throughout the Camaro line, but not here on the Z/28 – the 19s save 50 pounds of weight and lower the car's center of gravity by 33 millimeters, which improves overall handling.

Perhaps most importantly, the suspension has been heavily reworked, with springs that are 85-percent stiffer up front and 65-percent stiffer in the rear, optimized for the new Multimatic DSSV (Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve) dampers. These state-of-the-art dampers were first pioneered in the Champ Car series in 2002, and to this day are used in Formula One by Red Bull Racing. DSSV dampers are also found in DTM, Formula 3 and the Ferrari 458 Challenge, and were installed as factory equipment on the Aston Martin One-77. The Camaro Z/28 marks the first mainstream application of the DSSV dampers.

Beyond that, a whole host of suspension components have been stiffened, including the lower trailing-link bushings at the rear, the lower-arm link bushings up front (to improve steering feel), and rear upper control arm bushings that are a full 400-percent stiffer. Chevy says this last part is so the car can cope with maximum lateral cornering forces of 1.08 Gs.

Simply put, the Z/28 is the most muscular modern Camaro yet, and the Milford Road Course was designed to flex every last component that makes up this crazy coupe. Around the MRC, Chevy's engineers have recorded a time of 1:53.71 in the new Z/28, compared to 1:56.58 in the more powerful ZL1. That seriously quick lap time even bests both the Camaro 1LE and Mustang Boss 302 by more than five seconds, and beats the Shelby GT500 by over six seconds.

Our experience in the passenger seat of the silver Z/28 was brief – just two quick laps around the MRC – but we can already tell that this car is capable of some absolutely wonderful things. First of all, it makes a fantastic noise – a deep, throaty burble that you can hear long after the car is out of sight. But even with our own tame racing driver manhandling the Z/28 at ten-tenths around the road course, the Camaro never seemed to be a handful. It remained flat during corners, absolutely hugged the tarmac, and pulled off mind-rattling cornering forces.

The key takeaway from the Milford drive was seeing just how late the driver could brake before entering each corner, and the speed at which we would enter the turns. On full attack, we were doing over 130 miles per hour entering the high-speed esses and were just a kiss away from 150 mph coming into the very tricky Turn 1 with its decreasing-radius, downhill slope.

We don't have performance data like a 0-60 time or top speed just yet, only because Chevy is still in the development process of the car. Tweaks are still being made, and final numbers are forthcoming. Who knows, maybe a quicker 'Ring time will yet be achieved.

As we mentioned, the Camaro's interior was largely left alone for the Z/28. Standard Recaro chairs are found up front and nicely hug the driver and passenger to keep them stable during hard turning. Of course, this is still a Camaro, so our normal complaints about poor visibility and not-so-great quality remain intact. Chevy will no doubt have a tough time competing with Porsche in this regard, and the Z/28's cabin isn't exactly worlds better than what Nissan offers in the GT-R, either.

Inside, a lot of components have been removed, including the air conditioning, all of the audio system speakers (except for one), and the gauges affixed to the center console normally found in front of the gearbox – again, to save weight. That said, engineers did confirm that buyers will have the option to leave the A/C and full set of speakers intact. Furthermore, some of the material has been removed from the rear seats, even though Chevy still kept the four-passenger seating configuration intact. (Nissan, for example, removes the GT-R's rear seats on the Track Edition model.)

Production of the Z/28 starts in the first quarter of 2014, with sales anticipated to start sometime before Q2. Pricing has not been announced, and executives wouldn't even hint at possible starting MSRPs. That said, Chevy is fully expecting the Z/28 to be a low-volume car, only selling at about half the rate of the ZL1. The company would like to sell maybe 3,000 to 4,000 Z/28 models over the next two years.

So, who's the target customer? It can't really be driven every day (again, Chevy flat out told us that it shouldn't be), and a more powerful ZL1 offers better refinement and more creature comforts. Ideally, private track users will be the folks stepping up to the Z/28 plate, and we'll be curious to see if would-be 911 or GT-R owners give the American bad boy a try. No doubt, Camaro enthusiasts will surely pick up a few on their own, and we'll be watching the sales numbers closely.

Regardless, we're just thrilled to finally see the Z/28 back on the street. It's been a long-time coming, and it looks to be a truly remarkable feat of engineering for the Chevy performance team. This is a bona fide track weapon, and we can't wait to get our first drive of this vicious Camaro. We'll be waiting...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/16/2...-review-video/
Old 10-16-13, 03:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Lap times will always be a measuring stick. The Nurburgring is the most grueling and longest track on earth. It has more elevation change and turns than any track on earth. OF COURSE it will be a measuring stick because it tests every single aspect of the car to the max. Suspension, handling, tires, motor, power delivery , braking, and durability can be evaluated objectively. It measures the complete package. 0-60 is a fraction. If that was the best measuring stick we had the GTR would be the best car on earth. Its not because of its weight and dynamics. I am surprised to hear a person on a forum say they don't care about lap times. Its the best evaluation of the complete package for a sports car and can even be applied to normal street cars . BMW tests every single model on the ring. Ever wonder why their cars always seem to have that perfect balance. Well they did the leg work.

PS a lap time is a lap time. If it did it on the first lap or at the 10th hour. It achieved that time. With a track like the ring most drivers will do exploratory laps then go all out . Then they need to look at the telemetry data , make adjustments to tire pressures, alignment, and evaluate how the driver is braking , accelerating, and entering a corner. It takes time
Old 10-16-13, 03:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

As much as I dont like American cars I have to admit I have had a crush on this Camaro since I first saw it . The stance, balance, power, and those AWESOME wheels got me drooling

gotta love the ring sticker on the rear of the Z28 in that pic above
Old 10-16-13, 05:06 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice article from autoblog, thanks for posting. That article is a lot more appealing to me than the lap time marketing. Also, even though the article said they didn't work on the interior much compared to the base model, it does seem a lot better than past iterations - at least in that picture.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
For someone claiming not to care about track times, you sure are getting upset and worked up about track times. Relax.
Get real. I'm not "getting upset and worked up" about lap times, I'm offended by your total disrespect in accusing me of some sort of manufacturer origin bias when my post history demonstrates that's totally false.

You can tell me to relax once you show you're better than fabricating complete lies to attack people who disagree with your point of view.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am surprised to hear a person on a forum say they don't care about lap times. Its the best evaluation of the complete package for a sports car and can even be applied to normal street cars .
OK, so the X5M is a better sports car than the Porsche Cayman or Lotus Evora? I am definitely surprised to hear a person on a car forum say that.

BTW, I am on the record many times on this forum saying that I don't care about lap times. I'll humor discussion about them (just as I have on this thread, after all), but I certainly won't factor that into the rationale of purchasing of a vehicle. In fact, I think it's probably among the worst reasons to buy a car, and I'm fairly certain I've said that many times on this forum as well.

Last edited by gengar; 10-16-13 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 06:34 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Get real. I'm not "getting upset and worked up" about lap times, I'm offended by your total disrespect in accusing me of some sort of manufacturer origin bias when my post history demonstrates that's totally false.

You can tell me to relax once you show you're better than fabricating complete lies to attack people who disagree with your point of view.
I don't care what your "post history" is, and like I'm going to waste my time researching all of your posts. All I'm saying is that I predicted many years ago exactly two things about Nurburgring times. And in this thread, you are doing exactly those two things, while claiming you're not.

I just think that's funny.

If you're not that person then fine. What do I care? But then why are you making yourself that person?
Old 10-16-13, 06:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys lets drop off the personal commentary and get back to the z28 please
Old 10-16-13, 08:46 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's some pretty good stuff from Chevy! Is this car even using independent rear suspension or is it still on the live axle?
Old 10-17-13, 10:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And this also goes to show that "pushrod" engines are from being labelled as 'extinct'
Old 10-17-13, 01:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Nice article from autoblog, thanks for posting. That article is a lot more appealing to me than the lap time marketing. Also, even though the article said they didn't work on the interior much compared to the base model, it does seem a lot better than past iterations - at least in that picture.

OK, so the X5M is a better sports car than the Porsche Cayman or Lotus Evora? I am definitely surprised to hear a person on a car forum say that.

BTW, I am on the record many times on this forum saying that I don't care about lap times. I'll humor discussion about them (just as I have on this thread, after all), but I certainly won't factor that into the rationale of purchasing of a vehicle. In fact, I think it's probably among the worst reasons to buy a car, and I'm fairly certain I've said that many times on this forum as well.
LOL I totally see your point and I know what you mean, but I never said that. I think the rationale you are using would be similar to Top Gear's James May. He has also insisted that the lap time thing is lame and simply ruins good cars and makes them too stiff. BUT it is still an objective measuring stick that seems to push every system to the max and will most likely always continue to be a measuring stick. Or at least until the ring really goes belly up with the insane financial issues they have had. There are many many manufacturers that have garages at the ring so they can do as much onsite testing as possible.

I think many of the manufacturers agree with you but still want to satisfy that desire for driving inspiration and are doing so by adding adaptive suspensions etc. We can have our cake and eat it to with the sporty cars and sedans, but when it comes to a hardcore car like the Z28, Boss 302, GTR, EVO MR, WRX Sti, etc all they care about is lap times and will generally not compromise on any amount of handling ( or will compromise much less)and know that the people who purchase these cars want that AND they also want Nurburging bragging rights.

I think if I learned anything from having two Lexus sedans back to back is that handling is used much much less than luxury so I see your point. LOL Im also getting too old. This concerns me sometimes when I think about buying a GTR. I wonder if the soft LS has ruined the hopes of loving a brute like the GTR that will deafen me and bruise my kidneys. I guess the smile from ear to ear will drown out the ache. LOL

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-17-13 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 10:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry, no way!! I'd get ANY C7 over this thing....its waaaaay overpriced.

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Priced at $75,000
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...o-z28-pricing/

Last edited by bagwell; 01-03-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

sorry, no way!! I'd get ANY C7 over this.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...o-z28-pricing/
no question about it
Old 01-05-14, 10:22 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It has no A/C and only has one speaker

However in fairness, this Z28 is more of a track car so lesser creature comforts but the weight has been reduced.

Again, different strokes for different folks
Old 02-25-14, 06:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chevy details how it helps the Camaro Z/28 fly [w/video]

If you're on a race track, there are three simple guidelines that will prevent you from having a very bad time. First, keep the car on the track. Next, keep the shiny side up. Finally, don't hit anything or anybody. If you follow these three rules, you might notice a commonality - keeping all four wheels on the ground. What if, though, you're on a track like the Nürburgring, and you're in a car fast enough to catch some air? Well, if you're the owner of a new Chevy Camaro Z/28, the engineers behind the car have prepared for just such an eventuality.

When the new Z/28 arrives at dealers, its performance traction management will be equipped with something called "flying car mode." No, that's not a joke. As explained in the video below, when engineers were catching air during the Z/28's development, the lack of resistance led the wheels to spin up and the traction control to kick. When the car came down, the car would slow.

To counteract that, engineers developed flying car mode, which basically shuts the traction control off as soon as the ride-height sensors detect a wheel going airborne. Once the Z/28 makes contact with terra firma again, traction control is reengaged. According to Chevy, adding this trick feature to the track-ready Camaro allowed it to skim five seconds off its Nürburgring time.

Take a look below for a short video on flying car mode, as well as a more detailed press release on the new traction tech.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/25/c...ar-mode-video/
Old 02-25-14, 06:45 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Press Release

Performance Traction Helps Camaro Z/28 Soar on Track
Algorithm helps maintain momentum for faster lap times

DETROIT – Engineers call it "flying car" logic. On the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, the Performance Traction Management system delivers faster lap times on an undulating race track by helping maintain the car's full power and momentum even if the tires briefly lose contact with the ground, in certain track conditions.

Created for track use only, the "flying car" logic woven into the Z/28's standard PTM system integrates the chassis mode selection, Traction Control and Active Handling Systems. Each is tuned specifically in the Z/28 for optimal track performance and consistency, and is activated by the driver pressing a button in the center console.

Without "fly car logic", the PTM would interpret the force reduction on the tires as a loss of traction and reduce torque to restore it. Such an intervention would likely slow the car and reduce momentum.

"PTM uses torque, lateral acceleration and rear-axle wheel slip to define the amount of traction control required, but when the car clears a rise on the track, it normally wants to decrease torque to increase traction," said Bill Wise, Camaro Z/28 vehicle performance engineer.

"The unique logic in the system uses the ride-height sensors to determine the reduction in force on the tires that's unique to track driving and allows the car to continue with uninterrupted momentum and, ultimately, a better lap time."

Technologies such as PTM and the track-oriented logic helped the Camaro Z/28 log a lap on Germany's legendary Nürburgring road course that was four seconds faster than the Camaro ZL1, and beat published times for the Porsche 911 Carrera S and the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. The Flugpltaz section of the Nürburgring has a rise that engaged the logic during the Z/28's 7:37 lap time.

Additionally, PTM enables the driver to press the accelerator pedal to wide open at the exit of the corner and manages acceleration based on the given vehicle dynamics. Five performance levels, or modes, are available to accommodate a variety of driving conditions.

The track-oriented "flying car" logic is available in all PTM modes, but it is most effective in Mode 5, calibrated for the fastest lap times. The Z/28 represents the first non-Magnetic Ride Control application of PTM, pioneered on the Corvette ZR1 and incorporated in the Camaro ZL1. Engineers further refined it for the car on the road course at GM's Milford Proving Ground in Michigan and on Virginia International Raceway and Road Atlanta.

Like the Flugpltaz, a section of the Milford course proved particularly effective in calibrating the logic. It features a hill sandwiched between turns Pahrump 1 and 2, named for and based on a pair of challenging corners on the 3.4-mile-long road course at Spring Valley Motorsports Ranch, in Pahrump, Nev.

"The hill between Pahrumps 1 and 2 is ideal for testing the feature," said Wise. "The car noticeably lifts as it clears the top of the rise. Without the logic built into PTM, the torque reduction would unnecessarily slow the car. With it, the car receives full torque over the rise, which helps reduce the lap time – and it is part of the reason why PTM Mode 5 can be as good, or better, than a driver's best effort, on certain track conditions."

Complementing PTM, the Z/28's reflexes over rises and grip around corners are competition-derived spool-valve dampers, specific suspension bushings, coil springs and stabilizer bars, a unique zero-preload limited-slip differential and 19-inch wheels wrapped with Pirelli PZero Trofeo R motorsport-compound tires.

"The new Camaro Z/28 was bred on and for the track," said Wise. "From the hardware bolted to the chassis to the software such as the "flying car" logic, every element built into it was designed to help deliver faster lap times, with consistency, control and dependability."

Ready for the track
The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the fastest Camaro ever on a track, with improved speed coming from three areas:
• Increased grip: The Z/28 is capable of 1.08 g in cornering acceleration, due to comprehensive chassis revisions
• Increased stopping power: The Z/28 features Brembo carbon ceramic brakes capable of 1.5 g in deceleration, and consistent brake feel, lap after lap
• Reduced curb weight: The naturally aspirated Z/28 is 55 pounds lighter than the Camaro SS 1LE, with changes ranging from lightweight wheels to thinner rear-window glass.

Power comes from the 7.0L LS7 engine, rated at an SAE-certified 505 horsepower (376 kW) and 481 lb-ft of torque (652 Nm). A close-ratio six-speed manual transmission is the only transmission offered and power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential featuring a helical gear set, rather than traditional clutch packs, for optimal traction.
Old 02-25-14, 10:04 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

What are the pros and cons between this Z28 and the ZL1?

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 clocks 7:37.47 Nürburgring lap time