Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next gen Subaru WRX spied...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 08:25 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recipe for awesomeness: One 2015 Subaru WRX + set of snow tires + snowy track. Stir well. Serve chilled.
Old 01-24-14, 09:27 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Golf R can just do the same thing...and a bit better
Old 01-24-14, 04:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Golf R can just do the same thing...and a bit better
Maybe...for about 12,000 miles. And then the electric system implodes.
Old 01-24-14, 04:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
Damn....new wrx spanks the st....funny they say the last gen wrx is faster 0-60?!?!
I know that the last gen WRX was quick, but I doubt that the new WRX is that much slower. For the record, C&D reported a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds for the '05 Legacy GT which is heavier and has less power, though it does get to 60 in 1 shift. However, I heard that the 2015 WRX hits 60 in 1 shift as well, so 5.5 seconds seems slow.

He makes a good point that the interior the of the WRX is lackluster. It always has been. My bother had an '01 Impreza RS, with black leather and red stitching which was a big deal for a little Subaru at the time. But it was still wobbly inside. I think I will lament most giving up the dual zone climate digital climate control in my Legacy GT and my dual power seats. I've said it before, but it makes me feel wealthier than I am actually am. But that leads me to a good point, which is that you would think that Subaru would amp up the interior of the WRX a bit. I'm 27, I'm the buyer of this car and I cannot afford an A4, 3 series, etc. But I do have the money for some options and nicer interior would be worth it to me. I plan on opting for leather. I guess offering a power driver seat in the WRX for the first time is a start.
Old 01-24-14, 05:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I know that the last gen WRX was quick, but I doubt that the new WRX is that much slower. For the record, C&D reported a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds for the '05 Legacy GT which is heavier and has less power, though it does get to 60 in 1 shift. However, I heard that the 2015 WRX hits 60 in 1 shift as well, so 5.5 seconds seems slow.

He makes a good point that the interior the of the WRX is lackluster. It always has been. My bother had an '01 Impreza RS, with black leather and red stitching which was a big deal for a little Subaru at the time. But it was still wobbly inside. I think I will lament most giving up the dual zone climate digital climate control in my Legacy GT and my dual power seats. I've said it before, but it makes me feel wealthier than I am actually am. But that leads me to a good point, which is that you would think that Subaru would amp up the interior of the WRX a bit. I'm 27, I'm the buyer of this car and I cannot afford an A4, 3 series, etc. But I do have the money for some options and nicer interior would be worth it to me. I plan on opting for leather. I guess offering a power driver seat in the WRX for the first time is a start.
Subaru interiors are certainly all better than before, this includes new WRX as well... BUT, they are still behind competition.

i dont think it is a huge problem in the USA, as Subaru is nicely priced... but here in Europe, they are quite expensive so when you get into $66k Forester and see simple interior, its not good. Forester is priced 15% MORE than top end 3IS here in Europe. Thats just crazy.
Old 01-24-14, 08:54 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From a styling perspective this redesign is certainly disappointing - in my eyes. Looks are always subjective though.

I wonder how good that ST would be if it were also AWD!
Old 01-25-14, 07:35 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think it is a huge problem in the USA, as Subaru is nicely priced... but here in Europe, they are quite expensive so when you get into $66k Forester and see simple interior, its not good. Forester is priced 15% MORE than top end 3IS here in Europe. Thats just crazy.
Yeah, that sounds a bit expensive.
Old 01-26-14, 01:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Subaru estimating that 60 to 70% of WRXs sold will have a CVT. This is based off of Mustang, GTI sales. Yet the current WRX sells and its only available in a stick and the BRZ sells 70% MT. Watcha smoking Subaru?
Old 01-26-14, 05:19 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are taking risks lol. But i think they will hit it right on. A lot of mom will buy the CT WRX. The only thing bad is the STI
Old 01-26-14, 06:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Subaru estimating that 60 to 70% of WRXs sold will have a CVT. This is based off of Mustang, GTI sales. Yet the current WRX sells and its only available in a stick and the BRZ sells 70% MT. Watcha smoking Subaru?
maybe increased sales based on low-key design? It is a sleeper design now that doesnt scream boy racer anymore.
Old 01-26-14, 07:23 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Cool but the new car is ugly as crap
Old 01-27-14, 12:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
From a styling perspective this redesign is certainly disappointing - in my eyes. Looks are always subjective though.

I wonder how good that ST would be if it were also AWD!
The concept was awesome.. The production car

Old 02-10-14, 01:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

On this episode of Ignition, Jonny Lieberman gets his hands on the latest generation Subaru WRX. First in America in late 2001 as a 2002 model, the WRX has long represented the democratization of performance. Cheap to buy and tune, but packed with enough power and handling goodness to rival much more expensive cars, the WRX has long been an enthusiast favorite. For 2015, the engine has been resized from 2.5-liters down to just 2.0-liters. Power is up, but so is weight, the manual transmission has more gears, the wagon is gone and what's up with a CVT? The big question is, however, is the latest iteration of the Subaru WRX as good as the ones that came before? Watch and find out!
Old 02-10-14, 04:43 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Thanks for the post. I actually like how the car looks. I'm really surprised though that it would take two shifts to hit 60 MPH. My LGT does it in one...speaking of which, I had to have my LGT pulled out of the snow today (this is a first) and how embarrassing it was since I was working at the time. Apparently the snow I was on was under some mud and I just couldn't get out of there. Which led me to desire 1. A locking center diff. 2. Winter tires. Currently I have all seasons, but if the WRX is coming with summer tires standard this isn't going to work. Gonna have to face it and get a second set of wheels. Ugh.
Old 02-10-14, 09:21 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Get a nice set of wheels and put those summer tires on the new wheels. I heard that the tire is pretty grippy. Save the stock wheels for all-season/winter tires.

P.S. Don't trust MT on 0-60 time. The new WRX will reach 0-60 in 2nd gear.

Quick Reply: next gen Subaru WRX spied...