Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next gen Subaru WRX spied...

Old 01-15-14, 09:38 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-15-14, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I know the FT-1 Concept will be tamer or toned down, but even as the 86 look, it impresses me.

Ft-1 just need to look 5/10 of the Concept, with Legendary Reliability, and 350 HP. They will have me.

Reason why STI failed me = not their design, but their Power train.....10+ years on it ? Common, and 300 HP ? That was impressive back in Year 2000.

I can see better buy than just the STI. Mustang V8 for 40k for example ?
STi is 4.5s 0-60 AWD 4 door sedan... completely different vehicle to Mustang and FT-1.

It is not slow by any means regardless.
Old 01-15-14, 03:42 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The task wasn't easy. The next-generation WRX STI had to set the benchmark for the ultimate everyday supercar. Subaru engineers not only hit the mark, they exceeded it. With a sleek and refined new look, stiffened chassis, reworked suspension, and impressive list of core technologies—305-horsepower turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine, Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with Driver-Controlled Center Differential, Brembo® brakes, short-throw 6-speed manual transmission and lightweight BBS® wheels—the all-new WRX STI is the best-handling, best-performing STI ever.
Old 01-15-14, 04:36 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
STi is 4.5s 0-60 AWD 4 door sedan... completely different vehicle to Mustang and FT-1.

It is not slow by any means regardless.
How are you so sure 4.5 secs 0-60 ? If it is so, then yes, it is impressive. I doubt it though, shorter gears, heavier, yes merely 10hp more than the last gen, but is also heavier.

The 2002 STI would pull that number, but this ? I wont believe it until i see it
Old 01-16-14, 05:29 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take note that this car is mostly a Lan Evo competitor so comparisons imho should be against that instead...
Old 01-16-14, 11:22 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Take note that this car is mostly a Lan Evo competitor so comparisons imho should be against that instead...
That is very true. But in reality, people cross shop. I don't know what others may want. I do want a Fun affordable sport car, family friendly.

I was very excited about STI, as I took Subaru words for it. Sti that is the best of all, never been built. Then they spit in my face with a power train of that 10 years old STI.

You know what ? 10 years ago, I was dreaming of a Supra as a college kid. Never had a chance to own one. No reason to buy used, and I keep on waiting. Here the Supra is going to be revised, and I am sure Toyota won't spit in my face with a 10 years old power train.

But another problem is, the Corvette is also my dream , seeing their specs makes me cringed. How in the world could they do all that for a base of 50k ? I don't know.

Comparing 15 years back, they barely released any Corvette 300+hp for 50k. Back then the STI with it handling, and 35k price tag was very very impressive. The same is said for Mustang, Camaro....etc. ... That made the domestic a rip off in term of performances vs price vs reliability vs imports.

Now, every one is hitting that 400hp mark, and the Imports are stuck with 300 ? Common ....

That is the reason why I don't even buy FRS, EVO.....I am honestly looking toward the domestics now. It just makes more senses

Last edited by Whitigir; 01-16-14 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-18-14, 11:38 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

How are you so sure 4.5 secs 0-60 ? If it is so, then yes, it is impressive. I doubt it though, shorter gears, heavier, yes merely 10hp more than the last gen, but is also heavier.

The 2002 STI would pull that number, but this ? I wont believe it until i see it
I dunno, the current gen WRXs, which are a bit lighter, reportedly do it in the high 4's.

For reference, my LGT is 243 HP and 3400 lbs and Car and Driver reported a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds.
Old 01-20-14, 11:08 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

i dont like the way these new Subarus look :/
Old 01-22-14, 01:00 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

On this episode of Head 2 Head, Jonny Lieberman gets his hands on the all-new, 2015 Subaru WRX, as well as one of Motor Trend's favorite pocket rockets, the Ford Focus ST. Each car costs about $30,000, sports a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with similar power outputs, and features a 6-speed manual transmission. The Subaru of course features a sporty version of the brand's "symmetrical AWD" while the Focus makes due with just the front wheels driven. However, since it first appeared, the Focus ST has wowed the Motor Trend staff with ability to dance around corners and, generally, not drive and feel like a front-wheel driver. We like the Focus ST so much that we invited it to last year's Best Driver's Car. But does the Ford have what it takes to beat the latest street-tamed rally baby from Subaru? You're going to have to watch and find out.
Old 01-22-14, 01:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn....new wrx spanks the st....funny they say the last gen wrx is faster 0-60?!?!

be sure to watch the last 2 mins of the above video....awesome!
Attached Thumbnails next gen Subaru WRX spied...-capture.jpg   next gen Subaru WRX spied...-capture1.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 01-22-14 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd still take the Focus ST despite it's FWD, simply for the looks. WRX doesn't look that special to me (IMO)
Old 01-22-14, 05:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

WRX is simply class above.
Old 01-23-14, 05:19 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
WRX is simply class above.
Even so, i have to give the ST the credits. It is an old model....and still not too far behind the wrx, probably a few hairs.

So due to new developments on the wrx, older on the ST. The st is still good.

Why am i saying that ? Because how Ford is raving about the new Mustang, especially the 4 turbo. Gosh, cant wait to see it
Old 01-24-14, 02:18 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree I'd also take the ST over the WRX.
Old 01-24-14, 05:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Even so, i have to give the ST the credits. It is an old model....and still not too far behind the wrx, probably a few hairs.

So due to new developments on the wrx, older on the ST. The st is still good.

Why am i saying that ? Because how Ford is raving about the new Mustang, especially the 4 turbo. Gosh, cant wait to see it
its not that old at all... problem with ST is that it is FWD... you cant hide the torque steer.

So for people buying these cars for speed, they cant be compared at all.

all was said in the "review", not only WRX is faster, it also feels a lot better... if professional car tester doesnt feel comfy with turning off vsc in ST, then how will we do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: next gen Subaru WRX spied...