Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next gen Subaru WRX spied...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 11:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the STi today at the autoshow and now I'm thinking that I might want to go with red instead of WR Blue...I can't decide.
Old 02-16-14, 10:18 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, I don't really need the Nav. and I don't want to pay for it, though I would like the HK. I stopped at the dealer today and the new car sales manager said they are going to get the STis first and then the WRXs.
STIs first? What?

I saw the STi today at the autoshow and now I'm thinking that I might want to go with red instead of WR Blue...I can't decide.
Color choice is personal preference. I go with WRB because I heard that the new WRB is slightly different from the one in BRZ, and I've always liked a Blue WRX/STI with Gold/orange-ish Bronze wheels.
Old 02-17-14, 09:35 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

First drive: new Subaru WRX STI
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/f...sti-2014-02-17
Good news! The rally-bred Impreza is back! Pat Devereux straps into the 300bhp, 4WD turbo-loon

So what's it like to drive?

Predictably banzai. Our first drive of it was at Laguna Seca racetrack where the STI felt totally at home, if a little breathless. Even working the engine as hard as possible the chassis didn't feel even slightly stressed. Steering feedback is definitely improved - if still quite detached - and there's a healthy dose of lift-off oversteer available with everything switched off.

Brakes were strong and progressive, gearbox slick and engine noises appropriate. Preferred settings here were: Intelligent; Traction; and DCCD in manual mode with a rear bias.

On the road, the STI feels much the same as on the track, but you immediately feel all that new stiffness in the chassis. Every bump, lump and crack is telegraphed to not just your hands, but your back and backside, too. This is exactly what you want when you are blazing to your next destination in an imaginary hurry, but progressively more painful after about an hour of the same.

Which is exactly the way an STI should be: hard, fast and grippy. Preferred settings: Sport; Traction; DCCD manual with no bias.

Should I buy one?

There are other cars that are faster, more exotic and/or more premium. But none of them offers the same offbeat combination of rally-bred performance and handling like the WRX STI. If you like your console driving games, you'll love this car.
The 2015 Subaru WRX STI is the fastest new Subaru you can buy. This rally race ready street car is fast, fun and iconic. In another accurate, fun and informative TFLcar review Nathan drives and reviews 2015 Subaru WRX STI near Monterey, California.
Old 02-17-14, 10:57 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

from Autoblog's review, the new STI's 0-60 is only 5.1 sec, that's considerably slower than the outgoing model and is only 0.3 seconds quicker than the '15 WRX 6 speed manual.
Old 02-17-14, 11:41 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
from Autoblog's review, the new STI's 0-60 is only 5.1 sec, that's considerably slower than the outgoing model and is only 0.3 seconds quicker than the '15 WRX 6 speed manual.
Manufacturer Estimated Number. I see Subaru being conservative there.
Old 02-17-14, 04:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The STi logo is supposed to be pink...that's what makes it cool.
Old 02-17-14, 04:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

The STi logo is supposed to be pink...that's what makes it cool.
STI has changed from STi. I'm not sure when, but it was changed from Pink to bright Red. FYI, don't go to ft86club.com. They are very sensitive about STI vs STi. LOL
Old 02-21-14, 06:43 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UK Firm's Kinda, Sorta Wants to Recreate Subaru WRX Concept…But Not Really

The name is Bond, Michael Bond, and he is the founder and owner of a UK company called Rumbler that is purportedly planning to recreate the looks of the striking 2013 Subaru WRX Concept on the production WRX with a project codenamed "Concept 13".

To my knowledge, Subaru has only confirmed a limited number of units of the WRX STI (and not the WRX) for Britain, but Rumbler says it will "by-pass the normal supply channels to import additional models specifically for the Concept 13 project". How that's possible and if Subaru UK will allow it, is something I do not know.

But what exactly will Rumbler do to the production car to make it look more like the study we all loved? Well, here's what the press blurb states:

"It will restyle the WRX body to reflect the original Subaru concept around the nose and tail and recreate its sophisticated modern design style. Although little can be done with the bulk of the body every customer will also be given tuning options for the engine to raise performance above the standard model from 350 bhp upwards to a maximum potential of 1,000 bhp depending on the customer's preference and budget."

Leaving aside the insane horsepower figure coming from a company that, on its website, showcases drawings of a Batmobile Tumbler-inspired study and the Ultra-Smart Watch, the whole idea sounds vague, if you ask me, and let's be honest; the concept looked great mostly because of its proportions and low-slung, coupe-like styling, both of which can't be recreated without new sheetmetal from top to bottom. Deleting the rear wing and adding a new fascia and rear diffuser won't really turn the WRX into the impressive concept, will it...

Right now, it's only an idea with Rumbler stating that, "production will begin when we cross the threshold of fifty (50) confirmed orders. There is no upper limit," and adding that, "At present the Concept 13 project is limited to the UK/British Isles (including Eire) but may be extended to other markets with sufficient demand".

We know for a fact that Subaru has priced the WRX STI at £28,995 a pop in the UK – so if Bond is referring to the STI and not the plain WRX, that would mean an investment of at least £1.45 million (US$2.4 million) for the cars alone.

A visit to Rumbler's website, where Michael Bond describes himself as "confidential escrow financial services agent" by day and a "technology designer, innovator and occasional writer" by night, will probably raise more questions than answers (i.e. this: "Acquiring The RUMBLER Sport Tank – FREE)", at least until we see something tangible to back up the talk.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/02/uk-...-recreate.html
Old 02-21-14, 07:09 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

1000 BHP on stock internal is insane....here in the US Ringland is like a wonderland to STI owner LOL....Those are just crazy talks, I will never believe it
Old 02-21-14, 09:39 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Godbless you Rumbler !
Old 03-09-14, 07:20 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Haven't heard anything from the dealer about my WRX....feeling very impatient.
Old 03-09-14, 11:13 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Haven't heard anything from the dealer about my WRX....feeling very impatient.
I haven't heard from mine either. it probably arrives at the end of April, that why there is no update from the dealer.
Old 03-12-14, 06:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New 2015 Subaru WRX STI Illustrated as a Five Door Hot Hatch

If you check Subaru's public website or one of your local dealers, you can still order a Subaru Impreza WRX hatchback in the States – in fact, you can even choose between a 2013MY and 2014MY, possibly negotiating a lower price in the process.

However, that's the outgoing model, not the new, non-Impreza-labeled 2015 WRX and WRX STI that are available for pre-order exclusively as four-door sedans.

We haven't heard anything about Subaru having plans for five-door hatchback iterations of the series, with the Japanese carmaker stating that sedan models are more popular and also provide better potential for growth in this sports category.

You never know if they'll change their minds down the road, but for now, the only thing we can give you is this rendering from RM Design that turned the WRX STI sedan into a hatch, complete with a big rear spoiler.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/new...trated-as.html
Old 03-12-14, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

It is weird why they dropped the hatch. Granted it was weird last gen when it didn't come in sedan and only hatch for the longest time. Seems they couldn't make anybody happy hah
Old 03-12-14, 01:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Hatch is ugly. Bring the Wagon.

Quick Reply: next gen Subaru WRX spied...