Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Crossover 'coupes' selling diddly-squat

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Crossover 'coupes' selling diddly-squat

Crossover 'coupes' selling diddly-squat

The 1980s will be remembered for the liftback coupe, a bodystyle that, aside from the Nissan 370Z and a few other isolated cases, is mostly nonexistent today. In all likelihood, the late 2000s and early 2010s will be remembered in 20 years time by a spate of bizarre lifted four-door 'coupes' that popped onto the market.

Much like those liftback coupes, most of which were eventually replaced by traditional trunks, it doesn't appear vehicles like the Acura ZDX and Honda Crosstour are long for this world (the exception being the BMW X6, which will almost certainly see a second generation or at least a significant refresh). Sales of five of the six four-door coupe-crossovers on the market had a year-over-year drop in September of anywhere from 39 to 80 percent, according to a new report from Automotive News. The Infiniti FX/QX70, Toyota Venza, Accord Crosstour, BMW X6 and 5 Series GT all saw drops, while the ZDX saw its sales drop even further, making it about as popular as Congress these days.

This news wouldn't be tough to swallow were the rest of the industry down as well. But with sales of traditional luxury crossovers up ten percent so far in 2013 and the overall crossover segment up 15 percent overall, the losses by the four-door CCs is rather glaring.

Part of the reason for the sales drop is likely due to simple human nature – these are fashion-forward vehicles that make a statement. The result is that the people who are truly interested in them buy them early and are quick to move on to the next big thing, giving these models a very brief shelf life, not unlike sportscars and most convertibles. That said, there's no shortage of more practical issues that limited their broader appeal. Besides the additional price of entry demanded by the coupes, their lack of rear headroom, limited visibility and diminished utility have arguably made them a tough sell with consumers, particularly when they're forced to share showroom space with more conventional platform-mates.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/08/c...-selling-well/
Old 10-08-13, 01:22 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Part of the reason for the sales drop is likely due to simple human nature – these are fashion-forward vehicles that make a statement. The result is that the people who are truly interested in them buy them early and are quick to move on to the next big thing
I think its because all of them are hideous, except for the x6, which is probably why its the only one that that will survive.
Old 10-08-13, 01:26 PM
Hoovey689

More and more are on their way. The MBZ GLA and BMW X4 are on their way, this crossover coupes aren't going away without a fight
Old 10-08-13, 02:32 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Curious if the 4-door coupe thing is gonna end up doing the same thing. I'm sort of considering picking up a 4 Series Grand Coupe when it becomes available as a replacement for my 3 Series Coupe.
Old 10-08-13, 02:38 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jwong77
Curious if the 4-door coupe thing is gonna end up doing the same thing. I'm sort of considering picking up a 4 Series Grand Coupe when it becomes available as a replacement for my 3 Series Coupe.
I think there's far more sex appeal with 4-Door Coupe Sedans vs 4-Door Coupe Crossovers.

4-Series GC should be good looking.

Hey Lexus where is my 4-Door Coupe FS450h slotted above the GS and below the LS..
Old 10-08-13, 03:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

it was a stupid idea from the get go. Lets take a large heavy car and give it a roof line that is so ridiculous that we kill the rear head room and destroy all hopes for cargo space. Simply stupid. No other way to look at it. I laugh when I see someone in an X6 or the two time I have seen the Acura ZDX. They should have know better
Old 10-08-13, 03:24 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since when is the Venza considered a crossover coupe?
Old 10-08-13, 04:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Since when is the Venza considered a crossover coupe?

My thought exactly. Another swipe at Toyota by AB? (They will take any chance they can get.)

I don't know what the sales of the Venza wagon are like in the USA but here in Canada, they are selling quite well, likely far outselling the Highlander from what I can see (judging by how many I see on the roads).
Old 10-08-13, 06:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW X6 is pretty popular here in NYC. The ZDX was always a disaster.
Old 10-08-13, 06:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll tell you why they aren't selling, because it was a dumb idea to start with. Hey lets make a big, heavy, jacked up AWD station wagon with such a ridiculous roofline as to where the rear seat is cramped and cargo room is no better or worse than a similar sized sedan.

As for the 1980's "liftback" coupe thing, that was actually a good idea IMO. Friend has an Acura RSX, and its amazing how much crap you can get in that car with the rear seat folded down. Cargo space is infinitely superior vs a traditional Civic coupe with a normal trunk. Same thing with the old 1999 Camaro I had, lots of room with the rear seat down, you could fit a whole bike in the back of that car.
Old 10-08-13, 07:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
My thought exactly. Another swipe at Toyota by AB? (They will take any chance they can get.)

I don't know what the sales of the Venza wagon are like in the USA but here in Canada, they are selling quite well, likely far outselling the Highlander from what I can see (judging by how many I see on the roads).
Sales thru Sept., Highlander 90k +5% and Venza 29k -7%.

I agree that it's quite a stretch to call the Venza a crossover coupe - It's more like a crossover wagon.
Old 10-09-13, 12:03 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

I've noticed a lot more Venza's in Canada than the US. It might be because Canadians like the idea of taller AWD Camry's more than Americans? Or more likely the pricing schedule... Venza's are considerably cheaper than Highlanders here vs the difference in the US for some reason. Recent rebates make the difference even more. But the Venza is losing out compared to other brand competitors in the US too. (Not a lot of love for it on this board either).

But in any event, AB is smoking some high end Bud to lug the Venza in the same category style-wise as the ZDX or the X6, or even the FX. I think they just needed any examples of slowing sales of car models which they can even remotely associate, to support an article discussing the downfall of the crossover coupe segment since they needed more than just the ZDX and X6 to support that conclusion.
Old 10-09-13, 12:10 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Last time I checked the ZDX, X6, and Crosstour were the only players in this category. Where did they get the Venza and FX from? That's a stretch for sure.
Old 10-09-13, 05:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't mind this.....
Old 10-09-13, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I've noticed a lot more Venza's in Canada than the US. It might be because Canadians like the idea of taller AWD Camry's more than Americans? Or more likely the pricing schedule... Venza's are considerably cheaper than Highlanders here vs the difference in the US for some reason. Recent rebates make the difference even more. But the Venza is losing out compared to other brand competitors in the US too. (Not a lot of love for it on this board either).
I don't know what kind of wheels/tires they use on the Canadian versions, but one thing, IMO, that is impacting on U.S. Venza sales are the standard 19" and 20" wheels on the 4 and V6 versions. They are simply too large, too expensive to replace, too rough-riding, and too lacking in impact/pothole protection for widespread daily-driver use in a moderately-priced vehicle. Wide, low-profile tires like those can also also be somewhat deficient in winter traction, though, of course, the Venza's optional AWD helps with that.

Quick Reply: Crossover 'coupes' selling diddly-squat