Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover ending Defender production after 67 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Land Rover ending Defender production after 67 years

Land Rover ending Defender production after 67 years

Great Britain's original off-roader will be ending production in 2015, 67 years after it started rolling out of factories. That's right, the Land Rover Defender is slated to end its run in just over two short years. And although that name "Defender" has only been in use since 1990, the vehicle that's worn it and its rough-and-tumble, rural nature can be traced all the way back to the original Series I Land Rover, from 1948.

The report from Automotive Business Review is in contrast to a report from last year, that Defender production at Land Rover's Solihull factory would continue until 2017, and that we'd get our first glimpse at its replacement in 2015. But with this accelerated shut down, it's difficult to say just when we'll see a new model.

The death of the Defender is a matter of emissions compliance - the big, utilitarian SUV simply can't be retrofitted to meet tough, clean-air standards in its various markets. And while we hate seeing such an iconic vehicle end its run, the idea of the Defender isn't going away.

"A replacement vehicle will join the Land Rover range, but the Defender in its current format is coming to an end," a Jaguar Land Rover spokesperson told ABR. That leaves us wondering what to expect on this new model, which we're tentatively calling the Defender II, following the nomenclature used on past Land Rovers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/10/l...fter-67-years/
Old 10-10-13, 02:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Wow...to see these icons go is The push for tighter emissions compliance is going to change many cars. I wonder if they felt it was simply to much to devote to R&D for the carbon and other emission requirements.
Old 10-10-13, 02:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW that is sad. I am surprised they would kill it but emission standards are only getting tougher . My old professor in Optometry school used to have one and he would give me rides to clinic in it. It wasnt a very fancy car but he loved it and it did really well in the Boston snow. Onward and upward I guess
Old 10-10-13, 03:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It is a dissapointment to see this go. The tech is there too, Land Rover and Volvo have recently been toying with Diesel Hybrids which yield excellent fuel economy. The LR DC100 Concept (looks like the Defender) could have easily continued the name albeit with new tech and more efficient powertrains than what the Defender currently offers
Old 10-11-13, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Defender, over the years was pretty much Land Rover's version of the Jeep Wrangler. In fact, for you auto-history buffs, the very first Land Rover, in 1948, WAS a Jeep Wrangler's body with some minor styling tweaks, some British interior touches, and a British drivetrain. During the war, the Brits were so impressed with our own WWII Jeep that, after the war ended, they decided to do their own version of one, using the Jeep's basic body/platform....and the rest is history.

Old 10-11-13, 10:02 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That's a shame to see it go.