Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Recommend a 5-seater CUV for a young family

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 11:18 AM
go blue 99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a 5-seater CUV for a young family

We are expecting our first baby in the spring and will likely trade in my ’04 Mazda 3 for a CUV (wife will mainly drive the CUV and I will take her ’07 IS250). She doesn’t want to drive a big 7-seater SUV or minivan, so we are looking at 5-seaters. We would like to spend under $35k fully loaded but willing to go over for something we love.

Looking for something with a big back seat (infant seats are big), and solid cargo space. We would plan on having a 2nd kid while owning this car.

I’m big into features and want as many of these options as possible: Xenon headlights, LED tail lights, Blind Spot Monitor, rear parking sensors, premium sound, navi, memory seats/mirrors, heated/ventilated seats, pano moonroof, etc.

Wife doesn’t know a lot about cars but wants something that “looks good”.

We haven’t gone on any test drives yet but this is what I have on my list so far:

’14 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (our top choice, on paper anyway)
’14 Toyota Venza (nice features and space, but lots of complaints about cabin materials)
’14 Acura RDX (good quality but the smallest cargo and most expensive of this group)
’14 Nissan Rogue (redesigned and bigger now, lots of great tech, but only 170 HP).

Anything else I should add to my list? We are willing to wait until after baby is born if any new great models are coming out in 2014. Appreciate any advice.
Old 10-09-13, 11:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 581 Likes on 400 Posts

MPLexus recently shopped for a small SUV himself. I've linked his thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...yota-rav4.html

Personally, I'd add the CX-5 in there. I recently picked one up for my wife and she loves it. It's not without its share of issues, the initial battery we got was a dud (replaced under warranty), and the TomTom nav could be better, but overall it's solid. It has loads of features, the MPG is pretty good (~28 with a 50/50 city/highway split), and my personal opinion is that it's one of the better looking CUVs out there. Either way good luck with your search!
Old 10-09-13, 11:24 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Consider an RX350 CPO ?
Old 10-09-13, 11:26 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 581 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Consider an RX350 CPO ?
CPO RX350s and ESs have 0% APR for 36 months right now too
Old 10-09-13, 11:39 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was shopping last week for SUV for my friend who already has a kid, and I happened to drive three out of four in your list. Did not drive Nissan Rogue - so, can't say anything about it.
All the other three that I drove were optioned with V6 and 4WD/AWD. Venza was the most appealing one to me in terms of interior / trunk space and driveability. RDX seemed a little better on acceleration, but its new AWD system is crap, feels nothing like its previous SH-AWD, and didn't have that "planted" feeling on the road at all. Santa Fe was not bad at all, I would say more than I even expected. I've actually tested it with 4-turbo and V6. The output numbers are identical, but V6's acceleration is a little better yet smoother at the same time. It was still a bit more viggly on the road than Venza.
Of course, as many drivers as many opinions. I've just described my personal experience and taste.
Old 10-09-13, 11:51 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Just throwing this out there but small SUVs or midsize sedans are quite puny when compared to a minivan.

I know lots of people love to hate minivans but if you ever live with one, its amazing how huge they are inside and how easy to put kids in with the huge access doors. Plus all the tots paraphernalia, great for long trips etc..

We have a Honda Odyssey and it drives just like a car to me, a little large but easy to see out of, great crash ratings, ok gas mileage etc..

Once people take the step over to minivans they tend to love the room and versatility.
Old 10-09-13, 12:41 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The Ford Edge is larger and more powerful than most of its competition.
Old 10-09-13, 01:59 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Just throwing this out there but small SUVs or midsize sedans are quite puny when compared to a minivan.

I know lots of people love to hate minivans but if you ever live with one, its amazing how huge they are inside and how easy to put kids in with the huge access doors. Plus all the tots paraphernalia, great for long trips etc..

We have a Honda Odyssey and it drives just like a car to me, a little large but easy to see out of, great crash ratings, ok gas mileage etc..

Once people take the step over to minivans they tend to love the room and versatility.
+1...
My parents are in their mid 60's and retired. They have a sienna and LOVE it... They'll be getting another when the time comes.
It's just that young moms are reluctant to make that switch(including my wife), b/c the car doesn't "look good" or make them feel young. I can understand, I don't want to drive one either
Old 10-09-13, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

check out a kia sorrento without the third row seat since you only need seating for 5. it's great.
Old 10-09-13, 07:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
check out a kia sorrento without the third row seat since you only need seating for 5. it's great.
2014 Sorrento is like putting lipstick on a pig... much better would be Santa Fe, which is all new.

There are plenty of choices in the segment, they will have fun buying!
Old 10-09-13, 07:56 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RAV4, CRV, and a CPO RX350 because its a lexus forum
Old 10-10-13, 06:55 AM
go blue 99
Rookie

Originally Posted by rai

I actually like the minivan option but wife doesn't want one with just one kid. My feeling is that we'll drive our next CUV purchase for a while and eventually move up to minivan in 5-7 years.
Old 10-10-13, 08:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
2014 Sorrento is like putting lipstick on a pig... much better would be Santa Fe, which is all new.
'14 sorrento is a major upgrade, plus the 5 seat santa fe sport doesn't have a v6 available, but it's cool.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-10-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 09:56 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

What about the Subaru Forester? The Ford Escape/Edge or you could maybe get a Flex for a discounted price and believe me, they are worth the test drive.
Old 10-10-13, 10:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'14 sorrento is a major upgrade, plus the 5 seat santa fe sport doesn't have a v6 available, but it's cool.
its just a facelift... 7 seat Santa Fe is the similar car just on newer version of platform..: Sport is actually shorter car.

Quick Reply: Recommend a 5-seater CUV for a young family