Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E

Old 10-09-13, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Very interested to checking this powertrain out when it is available. Amazing that an auto company that was on the brink of bankruptcy and death can introduce a whole new suite of powertrains before Toyota/Lexus introduces their first recent application of a small 4 cylinder turbo.
Volve has been using turbo's forever, they never stopped using them.
Old 10-09-13, 03:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Originally Posted by ba-b4
This is what happens when China gives you 11 billion dollars to spend.
While I'm aware of both of these points it doesn't make it less amazing. The $11 billion came last year, it takes longer than a year to develop a new family of engines. And while they've been doing turbo's consistently, I still feel like this increasingly shows how far behind Toyota/Lexus is.

Toyota is supposedly the largest R&D spender in the world, and what do they really have to show for it? Most of their vehicles are no where near best in class for MPG and/or power.

Anyways, back on topic. Great job Volvo! Keep it coming!
Old 10-09-13, 04:47 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Very interested to checking this powertrain out when it is available. Amazing that an auto company that was on the brink of bankruptcy and death can introduce a whole new suite of powertrains before Toyota/Lexus introduces their first recent application of a small 4 cylinder turbo.
While I'm aware of both of these points it doesn't make it less amazing. The $11 billion came last year, it takes longer than a year to develop a new family of engines. And while they've been doing turbo's consistently, I still feel like this increasingly shows how far behind Toyota/Lexus is.

Toyota is supposedly the largest R&D spender in the world, and what do they really have to show for it? Most of their vehicles are no where near best in class for MPG and/or power.

You answered your own question: Volvo was on the brink of death and without new, (much) more efficient engines, they would have died. Volvo started working on new engines before their Chinese parents poured in the billions and now with this new money (and hopefully increased Chinese sales) they will live on.

Toyota is NOT on the brink of death so do not need a Chinese saviour to pour in billions to bail them out; and despite the fact that they do not have turbocharged engines, their engines are quite competitive in terms of power AND fuel efficiency AND refinement (not power OR fuel efficiency OR refinement, but a good compromise of all three).

I heard a late model Volvo start up in the parking lot at work this afternoon. I was not sure what model it was (a late model S60 I believe). What a terrible, ROUGH-sounding engine. My first thought was: that is the sound of a luxury car engine? NO THANKS!!! Sounded more like a cheap gas-powered lawn mower than a wannabe luxury car.
Old 10-09-13, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

maybe 1.5 million of hybrids sold in 2013? Quite possibly.

Toyota globally did not need turbo engines due to what kind of cars they sell and in what regions. Lexus for instance sells the best in US where they have V6 engines and in rest of the world they use Hybrids. Toyota brand also doesnt really need turbo engines in their markets - in Europe they have turbo diesels and hybrids for higher end, and petrols for lower end, in Japan it is all becoming hybrid, in Asia and South America due to pricing and bad fuel, they use NA engines anyway.

This is why the only application so far will be 2.0t, which is needed but wont sell in big numbers.

So while it will be cool to have turbo's, they are not really applicable to most of what Toyota sells.

On the other hand, Volvo as a /near) luxury brand, needs higher end engines. Due to nature of their sales, they also need low end engines... only way both of that is possible for small brand is to have turbo 4cly engines and since they are luxury brand thats ok.

Right now, Toyota is in a nice spot with their engines. For majority of their customers, thats all they need as both KR, NZ, ZR, AR, GR and UR series are bulletproof. They get good mix of NVH, consumption and power, while being probably most reliable engines on the market.

I can tell anyone that wants to buy any vehicle that has that engine to rest easy when buying it used... sure, it needs to be checked as any car but otherwise, again, bullet proof.

Want to buy 5-6 year old BMW, VW/Audi turbo engine? Urgh. Great engines, lots of failures. Toyota turbo diesels also have a lot of problems, they are definitely not in the list above.

I would guess the same reason behind Toyota pushing CVT and not DSG. It is more suited to their brand and also a lot more reliable.
Old 10-09-13, 08:10 PM
LexFather

I preferred the quad lamp look up front...

Old 10-09-13, 08:30 PM
Chuy250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of volvo but it looks nice, expect the center console, it looks so old. Doesn't look 2015 they need a better center console but the rest looks good
Old 10-10-13, 12:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chuy250
Not a fan of volvo but it looks nice, expect the center console, it looks so old. Doesn't look 2015 they need a better center console but the rest looks good
for me personally, Volvo interiors are too cold... but they do look better when you see them live.

I have been in XC60 and it looks nice inside.
Old 10-10-13, 12:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

for me personally, Volvo interiors are too cold... but they do look better when you see them live.

I have been in XC60 and it looks nice inside.
me too
Old 03-20-14, 09:34 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Volvo V60 brings Volvo station wagons back to America. Sleek and shapely, the V60 gives up some practicality compared to boxy Volvo wagons in the past. But it's more fun to drive and economical.
Old 04-16-14, 05:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Volvo prepares S60L Petrol Plug-in Hybrid for Beijing Motor Show

Click here to view more photos

Production version due in China early next year

Volvo has announced plans to showcase starting Sunday at Beijing Motor Show the S60L Petrol Plug-in Hybrid concept.

From the outside it might look virtually identical as the S60L but this Petrol Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) is an entirely different car underneath the familiar skin. The concept combines a conventional turbocharged gasoline engine with an electric motor to create what the Swedish automaker is describing as being "an electric car, hybrid car and high-performance car all rolled into one."

The regular engine is a 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter unit from Volvo's new Drive-E lineup and delivers 238 bhp (177 kW) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque. The electric motor generates an additional 68 bhp (51 kW) and 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) and is powered by a 11.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack mounted underneath the load compartment. Refilling the batteries from a regular household outlet takes 4.5 hours with 10A amperage or 4 hours with a 16A charge.

When running in "Hybrid" mode, the Volvo S60L PPHEV will return an amazing 117.6 mpg US (141.2 mpg UK or 2 liters / 100 km) with CO2 emissions of just 50 g/km. Running solely on electric power ("Pure") the concept can travel for distances of up to 50 miles (80 km) while hitting the "Power" button will combine the capacities of the turbocharged engine and electric motor to provide a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint in an excellent 5.5 seconds.

The front wheels are driven by the gasoline-running engine while the rear axle is powered by the electric motor and if the AWD button is pressed, the powers of the two will be distributed as necessary. The concept's hardware arrangement also includes an eight-speed automatic gearbox and a crankshaft-driven ISG (Integrated Starter Generator)

Volvo will be showcasing the concept starting Sunday at the Beijing Motor Show where it will feature a matte white crystal pearl paint together with contrasting black and blue details on the alloys and lower areas of the body. On the inside there's unique hazel-brown leather with contrasting stitching, as well as chrome detailing and a blond color theme.

A production version of the S60L PPHEV will be introduced in China early next year.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404167...-beijing-motor
Old 04-16-14, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Good looking/performaing Plug-In
Old 04-16-14, 10:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i wish they said whats the hybrid mpg... this stupid game where you quote MPG figures with your 50 mile EV range included does not help anyone.

i like the mpg and performance, seem like great engines... S60 is not worth premium money to me though.

My bro started working more with Volvo these days and I frequently end up going to their dealers, and cars are fine... they just dont scream luxury to me... despite the pricing which is up there almost (here in Europe), to me S60 looks slightly-more-premium.

Last edited by spwolf; 04-16-14 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

i wish they said whats the hybrid mpg... this stupid game where you quote MPG figures with your 50 mile EV range included does not help anyone.

i like the mpg and performance, seem like great engines... S60 is not worth premium money to me though.

My started working more with Volvo these days and I frequently end up going to their dealers, and cars are fine... they just dont scream luxury to me... despite the pricing which is up there almost (here in Europe), to me S60 looks slightly-more-premium.
They compete more against Buick, Acura, Lincoln here in the States. Premium brands rather than Luxury
Old 04-16-14, 10:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3,300 lbs. towing wow
Old 04-16-14, 12:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They compete more against Buick, Acura, Lincoln here in the States. Premium brands rather than Luxury
yes, did you ever try to option out S60? It gets more pricey than IS350 Luxury or F-Sport, and even optioned out, it is still only premium car, nothing like IS.

in theory, them being premium and S60 starting at $33k is fine... in practice, they end up charging $53-55k for loaded one which has nothing crazy on them...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E