Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought IS250 back in July and just saw the mercedes CLA

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 10:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated

the only thing the IS has over the CLA is reliability, IMO
uh, lol.

Did you drive both?

Autobild had review - which is german magazine - and IS had better suspension (more expensive - firmer but also plusher at the same time), better handling, more quality interior, more space.

Exactly what you would expect when someone dresses up econobox into the luxury car.

It looks great IMHO, but thats where it stops.
Old 10-10-13, 12:03 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well of course they should be congratulated for making something for cheap and selling it expensive... here in Europe, it sells for more than C class, and it is sold out.
More than a C class? Is that MSRP? That's just crazy...

Originally Posted by SC4o0
im going to assume you were making fun of my post, what i meant was that this car does have options to satisfy as long as your willing to pay, people buy cars for the "look" not the options.
No, my post was certainly not pointed at any one person or post. Mostly just a general reply to the thread.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And RWD
If I were buying, the CLA being FWD would be a deal breaker for me - good thing I wasn't buying! Haha

uh, lol.

Did you drive both?

Autobild had review - which is german magazine - and IS had better suspension (more expensive - firmer but also plusher at the same time), better handling, more quality interior, more space.

Exactly what you would expect when someone dresses up econobox into the luxury car.

The IS is far more refined than the CLA but I don't think they are really competitors so it is hard to compare them, IMO. The gap between the IS and C class is probably a little smaller.
Old 10-10-13, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The IS has evolved and has aged to a good state of reliability considering the OP got the last year of a generation. The CLA is a benz , and a benz that is in its first year of the first generation. If you trade the IS for the CLA make sure you become well acquainted with service advisor. You will need him a bit more. I will put money on that
Old 10-10-13, 12:35 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And RWD
yes rwd is only good on heavy cars, if mb was smart they would make the cla rwd and the c hatch fwd.

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Can't tell if your serious, that car was a monstrosity haha. It literally dragged the whole Mercedes Benz image down.

the only thing the IS has over the CLA is reliability, IMO
no i know it was a lemon i meant the 'look' if i can get my hands on one for 900 bucks id strip it and build it. i had the 318ti too.
Old 10-10-13, 03:25 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

How could anyone possibly say the CLA is good looking? It looks hideous. The design is made of of random panels with no flow to it.

The 3IS took the general handsome layout of the 2IS and beefed it up.
Old 10-10-13, 04:55 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to most eyes this CLA is in the same category as the lexus IS, infiniti GS and bmw 3.

most people could careless if it's a front wheel drive car. It looks good and has the benz brand. No brainer for many looking into the smaller and mid sized category. In fact it might even take some larger car category sales.

why buy a fully loaded camry accord sonata optima mazda 6 when u can buy a base CLA for 30k ?

It does change a lot of things. In fact, why buy a ford taurus chevy malibu impala chrysler 300 when u can get this small to midsized benz ?

everyone knows it will have little leg room but people overlook that easily when they see this car.

It will for sure cannibalize the C class sales for sure but I'm sure they have a strategy for that as well.

the margins on this is probably not as big as what they are used to but they will sell a ton of these. Scale is definitely the strategy here. they cut cost by making it front wheel drive and using a smaller chasis while still making it look big. this car is going to make a lot of people regret their purchase made anytime within the past year or two.

Last edited by Tantrix; 10-10-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 04:59 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is exactly why mercedes sell a ton of cars and the other's don't. they know exactly what looks good while other's like you question it.

Originally Posted by yowps3
How could anyone possibly say the CLA is good looking? It looks hideous. The design is made of of random panels with no flow to it.

The 3IS took the general handsome layout of the 2IS and beefed it up.
Old 10-10-13, 06:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tantrix
why buy a fully loaded camry accord sonata optima mazda 6 when u can buy a base CLA for 30k ?

It does change a lot of things. In fact, why buy a ford taurus chevy malibu impala chrysler 300 when u can get this small to midsized benz ?
Sorry, you're way off here. Most people will not cross shop any of the cars above with the CLA. The CLA is basically a compact car inside. People do indeed want roominess in there family sedans. People actually do place good importance on rear seat room/access.

I wouldn't even consider a CLA if it were $19,995. Could care less. I'd choose a Camry, Accord, or Fusion in a heartbeat over it.

everyone knows it will have little leg room but people overlook that easily when they see this car.
This car will sell well, but not to people that need a purpose built car. Meaning, for example, if you have a family, you're likely not to consider this car. Like I said above, people actually do want plenty of practical space.

this car is going to make a lot of people regret their purchase made anytime within the past year or two.
I doubt that many people will have regrets.

this is exactly why mercedes sell a ton of cars and the other's don't. they know exactly what looks good while other's like you question it.
Are you talking worldwide? Because in the US MB sells similarly to Lexus and BMW. Sometimes MB leads, sometimes Lexus....
Old 10-10-13, 06:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What they know looks good seems to stop at a giant 3 pointed star on the grill, and that's what the buyers are attracted to as well. This car will do well for 3 years or so, simultaneously damaging MB's image with every sale and every CLS knockoff on the street.

In Vancouver a C-class has virtually no road presence. It could pass for an old Civic (heck an 8th gen Civic probably has more presence). And yet all those fools are driving around in them thinking they're impressing everyone around them, meanwhile there's 4 more in the same traffic line in the same black/white/gray/silver color and the same flat bodywork and dated graphics.

With the CLA, the idea of buying a $30k car that looks like a $80,000 CLS is very appealing, until everyone else starts driving them. Then there's no point. It's a disposable fashion accessory and nothing more.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-10-13 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 06:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
What they know looks good seems to stop at a giant 3 pointed star on the grill, and that's what the buyers are attracted to as well. This car will do well for 3 years or so, simultaneously damaging MB's image with every sale and every CLS knockoff on the street.

It's a disposable fashion accessory, nothing more.
Please, it's not going to damage their image at all. Lexus wasn't damaged by the CT200h or the disaster HS250h, BMW has done just fine with the current 1-series coupe and X1, Audi has done fine with the current Audi A3 hatch and will be fine with the future A3 sedan.
Old 10-10-13, 06:38 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Please, it's not going to damage their image at all. Lexus wasn't damaged by the CT200h or the disaster HS250h, BMW has done just fine with the current 1-series coupe and X1, Audi has done fine with the current Audi A3 hatch and will be fine with the future A3 sedan.
None of those $30k cars are deliberately mimicking the style and image of their $80,000 to $100,000 flagship brethren, who incidentally also sell primarily on style and image.
Old 10-10-13, 06:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

None of those $30k cars are deliberately mimicking the style and image of their $80,000 to $100,000 flagship brethren, who incidentally also sell primarily on style and image.
Wait on the Audi A3 to arrive in a year then we'll reevaluate that statement. As I'm sure you know, Audi keeps its sedan styling very similar across the board and the A3 sedan (already on sale elsewhere) is no different.

In addition, the CLS isn't a "flagship" model as there's an entire range of vehicles positioned on top of it. Making matters more complicated is the fact that Mercedes has styled previous generations of the C-class (formerly the base model) quite similarly to the S-class with absolutely no issue.
Old 10-10-13, 07:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Wait on the Audi A3 to arrive in a year then we'll reevaluate that statement. As I'm sure you know, Audi keeps its sedan styling very similar across the board and the A3 sedan (already on sale elsewhere) is no different.

In addition, the CLS isn't a "flagship" model as there's an entire range of vehicles positioned on top of it. Making matters more complicated is the fact that Mercedes has styled previous generations of the C-class (formerly the base model) quite similarly to the S-class with absolutely no issue.
Audis don't sell in much volume anyway and the A3 especially has been low volume. It's not a good comparison. Plus the CLA relies almost exclusively on style and the giant star for attention/sales. The whole premise is you get CLS styling for less than C-class money. The whole attraction to CLS styling is uniqueness/exclusivity and the image of success/wealth, largely because a CLS costs ~$80k. Sell it for $30k and have everyone and their mother drive around in one and well...

Back in the day neither the C-class nor the S-class depended primarily on styling to sell.
Old 10-10-13, 07:34 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

uh, lol.

Did you drive both?

This X 1000000
Old 10-10-13, 08:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Audis don't sell in much volume anyway and the A3 especially has been low volume. It's not a good comparison. Plus the CLA relies almost exclusively on style and the giant star for attention/sales. The whole premise is you get CLS styling for less than C-class money. The whole attraction to CLS styling is uniqueness/exclusivity and the image of success/wealth, largely because a CLS costs ~$80k. Sell it for $30k and have everyone and their mother drive around in one and well...

Back in the day neither the C-class nor the S-class depended primarily on styling to sell.
So basically what I'm reading is that it is a good comparison, but isn't convenient for you because Audi's don't sell in a large enough volume. Hmm...

Honestly, the CLS is also relying almost exclusively on styling. Otherwise there is NOTHING about it that sets it apart from the equivalent E-class. As far as uniqueness goes, hard for me to believe when everything from the Hyundai Sonata to the Volkswagen CC to the BMW 6-series GC has cribbed it's 4-door coupe roofline.

Because you mentioned uniqueness/exclusivity and image of success/wealth, isn't that the same relationship that drew people to the S-class? The comparison to the C-class is more similar than you think. Point blank in the past the C-class was clearly selling the S-class look for much cheaper.

Either way we're going on difference on opinion, we'll see if anything happens in the sales of the CLS. I doubt it. Mercedes created the 4 door coupe segment, don't see why they wouldn't naturally expand it. It's not like anyone's going to confuse the two.

Quick Reply: Bought IS250 back in July and just saw the mercedes CLA