Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Toyota/Lexus for a small Caribbean Island?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Question Best Toyota/Lexus for a small Caribbean Island?

Cliffs: Okay looking for advice/thoughts on a Toyota/Lexus SUV for a mountainous Caribbean island. Honestly not sure what to choose...

-must be a Lexus Toyota
-seat 5, 7 not necessary
-AWD or 4x4, not sure which one
-Newer tech is a plus
-If an older SUV is bulletproof that is fine to recommend
-must be an automatic transmission
-easy to fix since it won't be serviced by a dealer

Many of you here have met my folks, good people that have always supported myself and the Lexus scene in ATL. We have had meets, bar-b-ques in their home, we used to meet in their neighorhood for NOPI and they have supported pretty much every event I hosted or was a part of over the years. It was always funny to see people react that my folks were pretty active at Lexus meets and events and for those that have gotten to know them can explain how cool they are.

Its been on my mind for awhile now as they are moving towards retirement and have decided to build a home in a beautiful small island in the Carribean where we have strong roots. Unlike some of the larger islands where you can take a direct flight, this one needs a connection onto a small Liat plane the size of a LS 460 to land on the small airport. My folks have meant the world to me and in particular my dad is my hero, a man that has supported me through thick and thin and has led by example of how to be a great man.

The home is being built on the top of a mountain and the road is paved but this is a very hilly and mountainous island. While the love their HS it makes little sense to bring it down for multiple reasons. So the search has begun for a SUV from Lexus or Toyota to bring with them. Again this island is smaller so I am not hesitant to suggest a newer Lexus as they have gotten pretty wide. Even the RX is a wide vehicle. The Toyota Prado is maybe the most popular SUV I've seen in the Carribean (a version of our Lexus GX) so naturally the Lexus GX is an option. I actually prefer that the previous GX 470 is less wide than the 460 (unless I am wrong) and both are 4x4s instead of AWD with the RX. I honestly think either system will work well but I am leaning toward 4x4. The LX 470 is an option as well, its invincible but again rather large. The 570 is even bigger and I'm not sure if they want to spend that much on even a used one.

So I brought up Toyota and the 4-Runner and new Rav-4. Mike (MPLexus) and I have talked about his new loaded Rav-4 and he has raved about it. I also like the smaller size and new features, some it shares with the HS. (FYI their HS is loaded to the gills so they really like the technology in it). They won't be driving much and maybe have a couple of friends for a drive to town or so. A 7 seater I don't think is essential (though now that I think of it if our family grows, then we might need more seats).

And I just thought of the Land Cruiser typing this how could I forget.

I'm no expert in the AWD/4x4 systems used either so any advice is great. They were recently leaning toward an AWD RX 350 but they are going to check out some Toyota SUVs. They are diehard Lexus owners (bless their loyal hearts) so please don't suggest anything not a Toyota/Lexus. No hybrids either, they need a maintenance free SUV for the most part and one that can be fixed easily if needed and again that is where Lexus/Toyota has a great lead since they are used and known throughout the world for tough terrains. I think my father secretly wants a Lexus as it will likely be the only one there

Funny when I first joined this place over 12 years ago I never thought I'd be writing about my folks retiring and needing a SUV in the islands. Life.....its a crazy amazing journey!

Old 10-03-13, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Which island will they be on, Mike?.................I ask because on some of the Caribbean islands (those formerly or still under British control), they still drive on the left side of the road, which, of course, would generally make a right-hand drive model more desirable.

Assuming American-style road customs (and a left-hand drive model), you might consider an FJ Cruiser, especially if they are going to be on poorly-done/rutted roads or even off-road. Snow and ice, of course, is not an issue in the Caribbean, but some of those rural mountain roads can still be challenging....and the FJ Cruiser, being a redone 4Runner on the same platform, has plenty of ground clearance. If the ground clearance is too much for your parents to easily step up/down, factory or aftermarket running-boards can be fitted. The FJ's interior is more flexible and versatile than the 4Runner's, with large side-openings. Its interior also includes more waterproof materials than the 4Runner and is more easily cleaned....if your parents are aging, they may not have the time or energy to spend all day cleaning and detailing their vehicle unless you help them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-13 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-03-13, 10:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

GX for sure... whatever version.
Old 10-03-13, 10:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Best Toyota/Lexus for a small Caribbean Island?-hmcge.jpg
Old 10-03-13, 10:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Old 10-03-13, 10:56 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Old 10-03-13, 10:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Old 10-03-13, 10:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Those are my suggestions
Old 10-03-13, 11:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Do they care if the seats are leather or cloth? In that sort of climate you can get cloth. We get a Guam RX from time to time at the dealer and it has cloth seats because of the heat and humidity from it's area of origin
Old 10-03-13, 11:50 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not a Tacoma? The 4 door version is relatively spacious inside, a bed cover can keep the elements out, and it has utility if they ever need it on a small island (which is probably likely).

The 4WD system is second only to a Land Cruiser, really, as far as Toyota products go. And you can option them out quite nice, and it would be easy to repair / cheap to maintain. Servicing a Toyota in the Caribbean is MUCH easier than a Lexus, as you cannot have any Lexus recall or warranty work done if the dealership is not a Lexus dealer.
Old 10-03-13, 12:00 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel like a body on frame SUV such as a LX/LC or GX/Prado would serve their needs well.
Old 10-03-13, 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

how about a venza?
Old 10-03-13, 08:00 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I use to live in the Caribbean and i had a few "richer" friends import a RAV4, its best for the mountainous hills, yet easy to maneuver around.. Best all around small SUV for Caribbean islands.
Old 10-03-13, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Thanks. The Tacoma suggestion is a good idea. Then saw some renderings for the new NX and forgot that comes next year....

Old 10-03-13, 09:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

GX/4Runner/Tacoma/Hilux. These are popular all over the world, rugged, proven, reliable and capable. Repairs and parts shouldn't be too painful either.

Quick Reply: Best Toyota/Lexus for a small Caribbean Island?