Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Escalade Interior Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 10:09 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Dash design looks dated - Infiniti has had this waterfall design a decade ago, now Hyundai etc have it also.

Materials seem good.

Seats look interesting.
Old 10-01-13, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The dash design is indeed dated. The vertical waterfall look has been out for a long time and been seen on all recent Cadillacs. Having said that, it's still pleasing and elegant (I like it). But it's not treading any new ground, which bodes poorly for the vehicle's longterm freshness. One can look at Lexus, Audi, and BMW for where the latest dash styling trends are headed (horizontal, not vertical). In a few years, everyone is going to have Lexus dashes and the Caddy could be left in the dust until the next gen arrives.
Agreed, the column shifter brings things down.
Also interesting to note how much richer this interior appears with the wood on upper-facing surfaces. I commented in the Tahoe/Yukon thread it was a waste to bury the wood trim on the sides of the center console, where no one sees it while sitting down. Here, it's ontop, where one can enjoy it's luster for the whole ride. Little things, but makes a difference.
Old 10-02-13, 08:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming that a wood and leather steering wheel is at least optional...?
Old 10-02-13, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
As you stated, interior looks very well done, I can't say I'm head over heels over the new Caddy interior design but they are a step up from the past. Great job GM.
Mostly agree, Mike, as far as general looks are concerned, but they appear to have made the same mistake with this new Escalade interior that they did with the XLS (and Lincoln's new MKZ)...using those silly awkward finger-slide touch-sensor bars in the center/lower dash for some radio and climate functions. And I won't even get into the CUE system.
Old 10-02-13, 03:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It looks very clean! It's so much nicer than my mom's crappy old 06 Escalade.

That giant column shifter needs to go though.
Old 10-02-13, 11:40 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the wood in the current Escalade fake?
Old 10-04-13, 01:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Column shifter looks a little out of place today, but then that console shifter for an automatic is nothing but an affectation. It's trying to emulate the "sports car" image of a manual tranny, but doesn't really perform to any advantage over a series of pushbuttons on the dash. After all, just how many times on a trip do you actually put your hand on the gear selector?

1. Park to Reverse - back out of the driveway.
2. Reverse to Drive - travel to destination.
3. Drive back to Park - get out of car.

Whether your journey's a couple of blocks or hundreds of miles, that's about it. Can a console shifter justify the amount of real estate it occupies next to your right knee for only three actions? I think not. Unless you're one of those people who constantly rows your automatic up and down through the gears pretending to be Jody Scheckter, you might be better served by putting your lights or wiper controls on the console - you probably operate those controls more than the shifter. We need to rethink the function and placement of the gear selector in terms of how it is used.
Old 10-04-13, 02:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

^
I see what you are saying. The majority of people do not bother using the shifter, so it's stashed out of the way. I think that's a shame though. People are missing out on an opportunity for better driving, more control of their vehicle, and more driver involvement (equals paying more attention to the road, a safety bonus). Shifting your own gears up and down yields optimum control of how you accelerate and deccelerate. Above all us, manual shifting is a safety feature, especially when braking. Many accidents are caused by people slamming on their brakes in wet weather and losing grip, or cornering too fast and then applying the brakes when the vehicle is off-balance. Manual shifting can help ease theose situations.
Having said that, a shifter down low, where the arms rests low and the blood flows much freer, is a natural and comfortable location. Alas, it will never happen in a beast like this. It's not the right demographic.
Old 10-04-13, 06:23 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an automatic's shifter when driving in the snow in order to hold lower gears. With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the column shifter location. It frees up room on the console. As an aside, I don't see anyone complaining about the Mercedes-Benz S-Class' column shifter.
Old 10-04-13, 10:22 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I use an automatic's shifter when driving in the snow in order to hold lower gears. With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the column shifter location. It frees up room on the console. As an aside, I don't see anyone complaining about the Mercedes-Benz S-Class' column shifter.
it's probably just a pet-peeve for some...I actually prefer the column shifter where it is in a truck/suv of this size, was even used to driving a stick shift panel-van (toyat hiace or mitsu version, cant rmbr) with the shifter located in the column too. that was pretty neat lol