Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 11:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Land Rover driver caught on video mowing down NYC motorcyclists

Video has emerged of an altercation between the driver of a Land Rover Range Rover Sport and a large group of motorcyclists. The incident, which occurred yesterday afternoon in New York City, looks to have been started when the Land Rover driver bumped one of the motorcyclists (it's difficult to tell from the video whose fault this was). The incident momentarily brought traffic to a standstill, but escalated anew when the SUV driver ran down a number of riders while attempting to leave the scene.

According to Britain's Daily Mail Online, the driver of the Land Rover told police he feared for his safety after being engulfed by the pack of slow-moving bikers. With his wife and young daughter in the vehicle, the driver attempted to flee, and his panicked escape attempt took out some of the bikers in the process. After catching up to him, the bikers tried to open the driver's door before he fled again. In a subsequent encounter, the Land Rover driver became snarled in traffic, providing a moment for one angry motorcyclist to smash the driver's window with his helmet. The video footage then ends.

According to the report, the NYPD says that the only reported injuries were to the driver of the Range Rover, despite the YouTube caption of the video claiming there was one fatality.

Old 09-30-13, 11:17 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Land Rover driver caught on video mowing down NYC motorcyclists

Video has emerged of an altercation between the driver of a Land Rover Range Rover Sport and a large group of motorcyclists. The incident, which occurred yesterday afternoon in New York City, looks to have been started when the Land Rover driver bumped one of the motorcyclists (it's difficult to tell from the video whose fault this was). The incident momentarily brought traffic to a standstill, but escalated anew when the SUV driver ran down a number of riders while attempting to leave the scene.

According to Britain's Daily Mail Online, the driver of the Land Rover told police he feared for his safety after being engulfed by the pack of slow-moving bikers. With his wife and young daughter in the vehicle, the driver attempted to flee, and his panicked escape attempt took out some of the bikers in the process. After catching up to him, the bikers tried to open the driver's door before he fled again. In a subsequent encounter, the Land Rover driver became snarled in traffic, providing a moment for one angry motorcyclist to smash the driver's window with his helmet. The video footage then ends.

According to the report, the NYPD says that the only reported injuries were to the driver of the Range Rover, despite the YouTube caption of the video claiming there was one fatality.

The helmet-mounted video can be viewed below. Be warned, the video is rather disturbing and might not be suitable for everyone. Take a look below to watch the footage.

What do you guys think? Was the SUV driver in the right to flee and mow over bikers in fear for his life?

Old 09-30-13, 11:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
What do you guys think? Was the SUV driver in the right to flee and mow over bikers in fear for his life?
Not even close. He caused an accident, and then when the bikers stopped and ONE person came towards his vehicle, he flipped out and drove right over several others.
Old 09-30-13, 11:34 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Instead of carbon copying the autoblog post title, you should change this thread title to-

NYC bikers caught on video harassing Land Rover driver
Old 09-30-13, 11:38 AM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

saw this all over my facebook news feed today ... dont have anything to really say about the article but from my personal perceptive bikers in general within NYC are just crazy and out of hand, I drive on the belt parkway all the time and dealing with biker is worst. The way they merge and lane so close to your car would get any driver pissed off or upset.
Old 09-30-13, 11:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

this is obviously gang of riders, i would revoke their licenses and throw them in jail
Old 09-30-13, 11:52 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Guy in LR was with wife and child.
Old 09-30-13, 11:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

hopefully Police manages to catch some of them based on the video:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/ny...nyregion&_r=1&
Old 09-30-13, 11:58 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Hey, I got thread jacked!!! Lol
Old 09-30-13, 11:59 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

If I was that driver and I was carrying the moment they start trying to break in I would have had open season on those bikers.
Old 09-30-13, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
If I was that driver and I was carrying the moment they start trying to break in I would have had open season on those bikers.
good luck with that in ny - you'd be in jail.
Old 09-30-13, 12:20 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^exactly but what if that driver were to have a gun, the situation would be so different, What would you do if you had your family in the car with guys smashing your window with a helmet,slashed tire, Intimidation ON top of the the main issue would the safety of your family. I'm glad no one got seriously hurt.
Old 09-30-13, 12:38 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good luck with that in ny - you'd be in jail.
I'd rather be in jail than dead or have my family injured or dead.
Old 09-30-13, 12:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

both sides were completely wrong.....bikers were worse IMO - they started it by harassing, then the LR was wrong when he bumped into a bike then tried to flee --- bikers were worse--- just get the f'ing plate number and call police don't chase the guy down and harass him.
Old 09-30-13, 01:38 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by po1qw
^exactly but what if that driver were to have a gun, the situation would be so different, What would you do if you had your family in the car with guys smashing your window with a helmet,slashed tire, Intimidation ON top of the the main issue would the safety of your family. I'm glad no one got seriously hurt.
The only problem is that I'd bet that a number of those bikers had guns.

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV