Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoNews: Lexus Hits the Gas on F Sport Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 04:10 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow AutoNews: Lexus Hits the Gas on F Sport Line

It may not yet be the equal of BMW's M or Mercedes-Benz's AMG performance divisions, but Lexus' F Sport lineup is moving into a higher gear.

For more than a decade, Lexus has moved in fits and starts to develop a high-performance identity to rival its German competitors. But the F Sport products now have the backing of parent company Toyota Motor Corp., executives say, and dramatic results are expected over the next year or so.

The expansion of F Sport products will take several forms. At the basic level, customers seeking performance modifications covered under warranty can get F Sport accessories installed by a dealer.

Lexus also sells prepackaged F Sport models, which may include modifications unavailable on stock models, such as an 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters on the RX 350 F Sport and IS 350 F Sport, as opposed to the standard six-speed. 6 Lexus model lines are offered in F Sport trim, which can add from $2,550 to $10,000 to the sticker price.

Smith: Lexus is committed to performance.

RC F performance coupe?

Now, Lexus will add more factory-built high-performance models wearing F badging. This was 1st seen in 2008 with the IS F sedan, which crammed a 5.0-liter, 416-hp V-8 into a small engine bay to rival the BMW M3. Despite the IS lineup's recent redesign, the 2014 IS F still rides on the old chassis; a Lexus source said an updated version is likely.

Lexus recently applied for a trademark for RC F, which a Lexus source confirmed will be the name of a 460-hp coupe off the IS platform, to debut at the Detroit auto show.

The prospect of a GS F sedan -- to rival the BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG -- intrigues Brian Smith, Lexus' vice president of marketing. "We are committed to performance like never before, and will have some exciting announcements," Smith said in an interview at a Lexus event here. "We want to expand F Sport, and Toyota Motor [in Japan] has adopted it."

Lexus traveled this road before, in 2000, when it created the L Tuned lineup of aftermarket parts. But Lexus' U.S. operations lacked the commitment from Toyota headquarters in Japan to make performance products stick.

At the time, Lexus executives predicted that Toyota Racing Development superchargers would be installed in the Lexus IS and GS sedans and arrive in showrooms within months. That never happened. Lexus mostly rolled out cosmetic aero kits that had little impact on performance, then quietly shelved the L Tuned effort in 2003.
'The one everyone wanted'

This time, factory-built F Sport models feature additions such as Brembo brakes, adjustable air suspensions, limited-slip differentials and larger wheels and tires.

Consumers are responding. F Sport models have accounted for more than 40% of sales for the redesigned 2014 IS sedan, and nearly 50% in the Los Angeles area. F Sport models account for 25% of GS sedan sales, but less than 10% of sales of the more comfort-focused LS flagship and RX crossover.

"We're showing F Sport in all our advertising, without mentioning it specifically," Smith said. "When we launched the IS, the F Sport was the one everyone wanted."

The F label's origin could have come from a number of sources. When Toyota Motor was developing Lexus, the Circle F moniker stood for "flagship." But Lexus also tests its performance products at Fuji Speedway outside Tokyo. Informally, many Toyota employees say it simply stands for "fast."
Old 09-30-13, 06:53 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, this time will be different. Remind me, where are those F Sport lowering springs for the 2013+ GS which were promised earlier this year? This is my first Lexus, and I've never seen a company so wishy-washy on what exactly they are planning to do. If they want to remain the purveyor of up-market Avalons and Highlanders, then they should be honest and stick to doing what they are doing. The RWD models seem like a side-project Toyota feels they must, begrudgingly, sell.
Old 09-30-13, 07:07 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Outrage
Sure, this time will be different. Remind me, where are those F Sport lowering springs for the 2013+ GS which were promised earlier this year? This is my first Lexus, and I've never seen a company so wishy-washy on what exactly they are planning to do. If they want to remain the purveyor of up-market Avalons and Highlanders, then they should be honest and stick to doing what they are doing. The RWD models seem like a side-project Toyota feels they must, begrudgingly, sell.
Waiting is.

This is part of dealing with a Japanese company. They don't give firm commitments to anything, and only make product announcements right before the hardware is ready. Which is frustrating, to be sure.
Old 09-30-13, 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
arent there springs for GS? Like Tanabe?
Old 09-30-13, 08:54 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider this --in the past few years average manufacturer margins on new cars has dropped to about 6% -- aftermarket products can be marked up 100, 200, 300%?

My company manages SEM for several electronics companies -- the TV have 10% margin maybe -- but the HDMI cables are marked up 300%.

Could Lexus finally do this out of financial desperation and necessity? Could be a good revenue source.
Old 09-30-13, 10:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am loving the fact that Lexus performance is finally waking up but as usual its too little too late. Better late than never of course but come on man. We dont need to rise to meet the competitors we need to eat them alive. Im so tired of Lexus trying but falling short. I know the new GS handles and the IS is great but we need more in my opinion. The horizon looks good but I cant wait to get there
Old 09-30-13, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am loving the fact that Lexus performance is finally waking up but as usual its too little too late. Better late than never of course but come on man. We dont need to rise to meet the competitors we need to eat them alive. Im so tired of Lexus trying but falling short. I know the new GS handles and the IS is great but we need more in my opinion. The horizon looks good but I cant wait to get there
Old 09-30-13, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
arent there springs for GS? Like Tanabe?
Yes, most use RS-R as they offer two different springs and coilovers.

Old 09-30-13, 11:35 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very glad that Lexus is pushing their sport line, and like eveyrone else, i wish it was quicker, but bashing them on how slow they are progressing is retarded.

It takes lexus so long to catch up because they are want to remain at the top of reliability. Their mods are very modest because they make sure they thoroughly test everything. If they rush, sure they'll probably get out super high performance products (ex: bmw), but they'll break down right after warranty (ex: bmw).

slow and steady will win the race
Old 09-30-13, 06:35 PM
LexFather

So to th article....its clear people want F-sport and its great to hear Lexus/Toyota backing it which means more money for the program. Its come a long way very shortly and its amazing to think the LS and RX have it.

In particular the GS and IS F-sport are seen as the drivers cars in their respective segments, no small feat and one that the interenetz hate to repeat

Bring on more F-sports and full blown F cars!!!

Old 09-30-13, 09:21 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw an LS Fsport. Must admit the Fsport badge looked kind of ridiculous on such a stodgy and really big looking car.
Old 10-01-13, 01:42 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one says that about AMG badging on the big benz. Gotta start somewhere.

Last edited by TF109B; 10-01-13 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 09:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That's awesome news

I hope the right foot stays on the gas pedal!!!
Old 10-01-13, 09:51 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is inspiring to me, and brings enthusiasm and excitement to the Lexus brand. Yes, words are one thing and they have to deliver, but at least they have a strategy and a pulse.

Infiniti is a very distant second. They have some nice cars for sure, but seemingly lack a strategy. They're dorking around with the naming of their cars........

Acura is still rebadging and repackaging Honda Accords. It's all they know how to do. They don't even belong in the same sentence with Lexus anymore, let alone the same paragraph.
Old 10-01-13, 02:06 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i am about to put in F badges on the Lx570 with dual exhaust tips, just to mess with people.

maybe even putting a turbo badge from the 911
Originally Posted by Glashub
I saw an LS Fsport. Must admit the Fsport badge looked kind of ridiculous on such a stodgy and really big looking car.