Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Leads Automotive Brands Considered by Americans To Have Their Best Days Ahead

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 02:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Lexus Leads Automotive Brands Considered by Americans To Have Their Best Days Ahead

http://www.lippincott.com/en/news/le...-their-best-da

Lexus Leads Automotive Brands Considered by Americans To Have Their Best Days Ahead of Them

New York, NY (August 26, 2013) - Lippincott, one of the world’s leading brand strategy firms, today released a report that examines the brand momentum of automotive brands in the U.S., revealing Lexus as the automotive brand with the greatest “brand momentum*”. The report, entitled “Driving the Future,” is based on analysis from Lippincott’s BrandView study of 30,000 consumers across four continents and reveals the top five automotive brands considered to have their best days ahead of them. At the top of the list in the U.S is Lexus, followed by BMW, Toyota, Mercedes and Audi. The report provides recommendations for auto manufacturers to better define and deliver a compelling brand experience.

“It is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate auto brands based on quality or performance differences. In the 20th century, the automobile represented self-expression at its most powerful. Today, new markets, customers, technology and competitors are forcing automakers to take a fresh look at how they create relevance and desire among consumers in order to make their brand one considered to have its best days ahead of it,” said Dylan Stuart, Partner, Brand Strategy, Lippincott.

The Lippincott Brand Momentum Index* is a simple ratio that measures the number of consumers who think a brand’s best days are in front of them over those who feel the opposite. “Our analysis has shown this ratio to be strongly predictive of brand preference and receptivity to marketing,” said Stuart.

Top 5 auto performers on ‘Brand Momentum’ Index*:

1. Lexus – Almost six times more consumers who claim to “know Lexus” think its best days are ahead of it versus behind it (85 percent of customers). Lexus stands out from the pack due to a very strong focus on delivering the customer experience and longstanding leadership in hybrid technology. Brand Momentum Score: 5.5

2. BMW – BMW boasts a 4.6 ratio. While all the premium German carmakers continue to seek ways to better differentiate their brands, BMW manages to stand out for being the most forward looking and innovative. Brand Momentum Score: 4.6

3. Toyota – Consistently loved by customers, Toyota proves that delivering strongly on the basics – practicality, quality and reliability – is a way into the hearts of consumers. Brand Momentum Score: 4.4

4. Mercedes– 81.4 percent of consumers who claim to “know Mercedes” think its best days are ahead of it. Mercedes, clearly a strong performer on brand momentum has a Brand Momentum Score of 4.38.

5. Audi— As it becomes increasingly difficult to differentiate on quality and technology, the real challenge for the premium German brands is to better differentiate on the brand experience. The Audi brand has a Brand Momentum Score of 4.2.

"While not among the top five brand momentum performers, it’s interesting to note that the highest-ranking U.S. carmakers are Chevrolet and Ford,” Stuart commented. “These brands really stand out as showing Detroit is once again creating cars that are relevant and desired by consumers"

Keys to Automotive Brand Momentum

According to the study, the brands with the highest brand momentum have four things in common that have led to their success:

1. They are distinctive—these brands have defining characteristics that make them truly unique and matter to people.
2. They are authentic—they are true to the essence of what makes the brand special while staying relevant and vital.
3. They are relevant—they connect to the things people care about the most and embody the traits that people find exciting.
4. They are immersive—they create compelling, seamless experiences that deliver the brand beyond the vehicle.

Added Stuart, “Staying relevant is going to become increasingly difficult as consumer expectations increase. Most carmakers still sell a product rooted in the expectations of the mid 20th century, while consumers are looking for their car to be their next device – smart, connected and life enriching.”

About the Brand Momentum Index*
To calculate the momentum score for a brand, consumers who are aware of a brand were asked if they agree with the statement, "this brand's best days are ahead of it." Respondents choose from the three answers "Yes," "No," and "Maybe." The Brand Momentum score is the ratio of "Yes" to "No" answers. Lexus, the top scorer, has a ratio of 5.5 “Yes” answers for every No answer, and is in the top 10 percent of all brands tested in the U.S. across all categories. This brand momentum score translates to: 84.6 percent of consumers who know Lexus feel that its best days are ahead of it. The average Brand Momentum score in the U.S. for auto brands is 2.97, putting the Top 5 well above average.

About BrandView
BrandView is Lippincott’s unique approach to measuring and evaluating brands. Now in its fourth year, this ongoing study is fielded online among a nationally-representative sample of over 30,000 consumers across 4 continents. BrandView covers the largest consumer-facing brands within multiple categories, and also features up-and-coming and smaller breakthrough brands selected by a committee of marketing experts. The study complements traditional measures of brand value by providing a strategic lens on the drivers of brand success, and unlocks a wide array of insights for brand building.

About Lippincott
Lippincott is a leading brand strategy and design firm with a 70-year heritage crafting authentic stories, memorable experiences and winning strategies for the world’s most iconic brands. Its expertise spans all aspects of brand building including strategy, identity design, experience innovation and activation. The firm uniquely combines business-based strategic thinking and creative excellence to solve complex challenges facing corporations today as they shape their brands for the future. Recent clients include 3M, Delta Air Lines, Hyatt, Infiniti, Samsung, Starbucks and Walmart. Lippincott is part of Oliver Wyman, a global professional services organization owned by Marsh & McLennan Companies.
Old 09-23-13, 03:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

That's pretty cool to see Lexus at the top of the list. The list looks pretty solid with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes on there. Toyota I'm not so sure about though.

I personally see Lexus as having their best days behind them at the moment. I find most of the new Lexus ugly and they are taking forever to come out with more coupes. 1990-2006 seemed like the best years to me but I do like a lot of the 07-12 models as well. If they would bring out the LF-LC and all of those crazy concept cars into production it would change my mind pretty quick though.

Toyota just seems so boring right now without the Supra, MR2, and Celica. The FRS was a step in the right direction but I feel their best days are behind them as well.
Old 09-23-13, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Good for the big German 3 and Toyota/Lexus. I'd like to throw Cadillac's name into the mix too, Vsport, V, Flagship, Coupes, luxury - a monster is coming
Old 09-23-13, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

As far as luxury brands go, I'd probably say that Lincoln would almost HAVE to have some better days ahead. Their image, right now, can't get much lower, and seems to have only one direction to go......up.

I at least partially agree with Kira X. Lexus, IMO, clearly started going downhill about 8-9 years ago, and each new generation I've looked at since then, IMO, has been a continuing disappointment (though I haven't reviewed the new GS). Lexus seems to be going through, right now, some of the same things that Mercedes did in the 1990s with cost-cutting and overall vehicle quality....though Lexus electronics are still more reliable then M-Bs.

Among lower-cost brands, Chevy, in particular, seems to have a bright future. They are truly on a roll, and virtually everything they've recently introduced has been a big improvement, though the new Malibu merely continues the competency of the last-generation one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-23-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 09:55 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I'll have to disagree with those who are pessimistic about Lexus.

Effectively the 2 models of the new Lexus era under Akio Toyoda, the 4th generation GS and 3rd generation IS, have taken such a huge leap in vehicle dynamics and sheer driving pleasure, that Lexus has almost single-handedly leapfrogged the Germans in terms of having their mainstream line-up (as opposed to niche M/AMG/F submodels) be the de facto driver's cars of their segment. They are literally, in a good way, totally unlike any Lexus cars that came before them,

Mr Toyoda is smart in that he focused on the bread-an-butter models first to effect this revolutionary change in Lexus dynamics instead of just another symbolic halo car ( like the LFA) that the mainstream buyer would never experience.

Furthermore, with the mainstream models on a sure dynamic footing, the range-topping RC-F and GS-F are on the way and with Lexus/Toyota hinting at extreme performance hybrids based on the Toyota TS030 technology, Lexus seems to be the only car manufacturer that has concrete coherent plans of marrying green technology with exciting performance in an attainable daily-driver package. The BMW I8s and Teslas of this world are just not ready for primetime yet, not until entire countries and governments massively overhaul their infrastructure to accommodate the recharging of these vehicles.

If future Lexus models emulate the example being set by the 2 pioneers of the new Lexus direction ( 4GS and 3IS), then I can't wait to see what Lexus has in store.
Old 09-24-13, 11:40 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They actually pay people to come with this ******? My 1 year old son has "momentum score" of 5.0 because his best days are clearly ahead of him.
Old 09-24-13, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as luxury brands go, I'd probably say that Lincoln would almost HAVE to have some better days ahead. Their image, right now, can't get much lower, and seems to have only one direction to go......up.

I at least partially agree with Kira X. Lexus, IMO, clearly started going downhill about 8-9 years ago, and each new generation I've looked at since then, IMO, has been a continuing disappointment (though I haven't reviewed the new GS). Lexus seems to be going through, right now, some of the same things that Mercedes did in the 1990s with cost-cutting and overall vehicle quality....though Lexus electronics are still more reliable then M-Bs.

Among lower-cost brands, Chevy, in particular, seems to have a bright future. They are truly on a roll, and virtually everything they've recently introduced has been a big improvement, though the new Malibu merely continues the competency of the last-generation one.
lol at clearly Lexus going downhill 8-9 years ago. Us Lexus owners would kindly disagree

Originally Posted by mrraider
They actually pay people to come with this ******? My 1 year old son has "momentum score" of 5.0 because his best days are clearly ahead of him.
this made me lol

Old 09-24-13, 12:19 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
- a monster is coming
and that's gonna be Lexus with the RC F, GS F and next generation SC...hopefully an IS F as well...
Old 09-24-13, 01:10 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

this made me lol
i won't tell you my momentum score is.
Old 09-24-13, 04:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
i won't tell you my momentum score is.
My momentum score (whatever the hell that is) is in negative territory.
Old 09-24-13, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
lol at clearly Lexus going downhill 8-9 years ago. Us Lexus owners would kindly disagree

Fine. Wouldn't be the first time we disagreed. And I was a relatively happy Lexus owner myself for a good five years. (Still am a happy CL member)

But, to be fair, decline in the last several years is the case with a number of Japanese brands......Subaru, sorry to say, being one of them (and I was also a happy Subie owner for almost 7 years). Japanese manufacturers, in general, have had to deal with an adverse yen/dollar relationship lately, and have been forced to cut costs, though we've recently seen some interior improvements with Toyota. In contrast, we've seen the opposite here at home.......some big improvements with GM, Chrysler, and (some) Ford products.

But, for several reasons, there really isn't that much difference today between brands...as Hoovey and I point out below.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 05:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Fine. Wouldn't be the first time we disagreed. And I was a relatively happy Lexus owner myself for a good five years.

But, to be fair, decline in the last several years the case with a number of Japanese brands......Subaru, sorry to say, being one of them (and I was also a happy Subie owner for almost 7 years). Japanese manufacturers, in general, have had to deal with an adverse yen/dollar relationship lately, and have been forced to cut costs, though we've recently seen some interior improvements with Toyota. In contrast, we've seen the opposite here at home.......some big improvements with GM, Chrysler, and (some) Ford products.
it's not here yet, but it's getting to the point where there will be an equilibrium among automakers and quality will essentially be the same. It'll come down to feature content of individual vehicles and what brand/badge/design language works best for the customer
Old 09-24-13, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
it's not here yet, but it's getting to the point where there will be an equilibrium among automakers and quality will essentially be the same.
That point is closer than a lot of people think. It used to be, years ago, that when people came to me for advice, I almost always recommended Japanese namplates (with some rare exceptions like the Saturn S-series). Then we saw the Koreans start to improve back around 2000. We saw Mercedes and BMW, especially in electronics, drop significantly......only to start improving again now. And, of course, perhaps the greatest story of all....Detroit's Renaissance. The end result is that, compared to one another today, I agree there isn't much real difference between brands anymore. So, instead of basically telling people to just shop the big Japanese brands like years ago, today, when people ask me about a new vehicle, there is a lot more to practically choose from.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 07:33 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

That point is closer than a lot of people think.
It works both ways.
Where once the Germans were unchallenged when it came to mainstream driver's cars, it is now Lexus who has arguably leapfrogged the Germans when it comes to driving feel and enjoyment.

How significant is this leapfrog?

Let's put it this way : the midsize 400lb heavier GS350 F-Sport felt more nimble and composed than the compact 335i Sport with M-adaptive suspension that I test drove back-to-back over the same test-route.
Old 09-25-13, 01:57 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a surprise. Considering the anti Toyota campaign the media ran during the Bush administration.