Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz E250 Bluetec gets 45 mpg highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 02:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Or I'm thinking that the 2.1 liter diesel engine in the 250 does not need urea injection or special nitrogen additives anymore (unlike in the V6 diesels which needed them)
The article goes into great detail about the urea injection and SCR, and notes that the AdBlue filler port is now behind the fuel door.

I'll bet this will actually do better than the rating. I know my 335d is rated for 23/36, and before I chipped it (500+ lbft bwahaha!), I regularly got 28-29 city and 40+ highway.
Old 09-15-13, 03:31 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that's awesome! It's a more advanced 4-cylinder diesel than what BMW brought to the U.S. for the 3-series. That ones numbers are 180hp/280ftlbs. Won't matter if the transmission is economy minded with 369 ft-lbs of torque on tap. 45 mpg is awesome. Definitely won't be a screamer, but should still hit 0-60 in around 7s which is more than quick enough.
Old 09-15-13, 10:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

so does that mean that people wouldnt think that GS300h would be too slow for USA? As GS300h gets better MPG than European E220 Bluetec.
Old 09-15-13, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so does that mean that people wouldnt think that GS300h would be too slow for USA? As GS300h gets better MPG than European E220 Bluetec.
i think a gs300h in the u.s. would be a great move!
Old 09-15-13, 02:14 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coincidentally I have been renting a E250 CDI 4Matic Touring for the last week here in Germany.

I can attest to it getting pretty remarkable gas mileage. At 120 kph steady it would return 5 l/100km on the instant readout, which is a little over 45 MPG. For a cut out of one route (Stuttgart --> Berlin) it read 7l/100km (~33mpg) with an average speed of 116 km/h. Mind you a fair amount of that time was spent either in congestion from road work or cruising between 180 and 210km/h, so pretty brisk.

You needn't worry about the transmission's programming. It does shift down in the "E" mode but it was no problem at all. All the torque meant you never had to ask for a downshift. Seriously. It would pull in 7th gear (yeah, no 9 speed here yet) from 120 all the way to the limiter with authority. In fact I found the "S" programming would keep it about a gear too low. Also, no problem with the amount of power at all. It felt like plenty.

Now for the complaints: there is turbo lag and plenty of it. Once you're moving it isn't a problem but from a start it is terrible. Obviously, calm acceleration was no problem but trying to say pull out into a busy street you'll put your foot down, wait a second and then BAM it takes off. There was also a fair amount of vibration from the engine (especially at high RPM) that I found unbecoming of a luxury car. The chassis on the other hand was great. Super, super stiff chassis and very well turned suspension spring rate/damping. (Power steering was a different story... needless to say the 3GS is worlds better, which isn't saying much).

Oh and the super duper adaptive LED headlights were awesome. They would box out the car you were following leaving high beams everywhere else - I need them. It's self parking feature is WAY easier than the LS's too. Just drive by a spot, it puts an arrow saying you'll fit, then throw it in reverse, click okay and it does the rest!

Here's a pic of it in the German/Austrian alps!

Old 09-15-13, 04:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
wait, why do they keep rolling out CDI models? In the US at least, the CDI models were dirty diesels that couldnt sell in certain states like California. Now they move to bluetec nomenclature. Does CDI still mean dirty when used overseas?
Originally Posted by RXSF
no, not 20 years ago. as short as 7 years ago, mercedes couldnt sell diesels in California, unit they released their bluetec lineup in the E and GL. Now, they no longer use CDI in the US. Im just curious why they are still selling diesels as CDI in europe when they have bluetec
To answer your question, it's because of the way emission standards are set up. The U.S. has stricter rules regarding NOx, while Europe focuses on CO2 emissions. The CDI's meet the total CO2 emissions standards, allowing them to keep producing non-urea models. That being said, Europe is tightening their standards every few years, so I'd imagine eventually it will require NOx levels to be down to a level similar to what's allowed in the U.S.
Old 09-15-13, 05:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Standard E250 CDI is 15% thirstier than this just announced Bluetec model... so quite likely, they will behave differently. Probably longer gearing, tires, etc, etc.
Old 09-16-13, 06:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@lucasb7

Wow, the station wagon/estate bodystyle definitely looks more appropriate for the E class.
Old 09-16-13, 08:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Mercedes Wagons are usually looking like "worker" models... unlike BMW and Audi, which are designer... so they are bit ungainly, with ugly back.
Old 09-16-13, 09:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Mercedes Wagons are usually looking like "worker" models... unlike BMW and Audi, which are designer... so they are bit ungainly, with ugly back.
Hehe

What I really meant though was that the wagon usually looks better than the sedan.

The rear sedan is okay........but nothing fantastic. Just a passing grade/mark

Also, it seems that the Coupe (2-door version) looks slightly better as well

Old 09-16-13, 10:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i hate wagons, so for me now:

but as I said before, while it looks ungainly from the profile, it is really useful. It is only truly useful premium wagon in Europe (MB ones).

Old 09-17-13, 11:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

i hate wagons, so for me now:

but as I said before, while it looks ungainly from the profile, it is really useful. It is only truly useful premium wagon in Europe (MB ones).

Yup premium wagons definitely look nice.