Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 11:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats. which trim level did you get?
Thanks. We got a Premium Plus with MMI/Nav, 19" wheels, B&O sound system, pano roof etc.
Old 09-19-13, 11:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
Did you get the panoramic roof? I'm curious about this pros/cons.

Edit: looks like no power steering wheel adjustments, this is one thing my wife specifically wants.
We got the pano roof. We bought one off of the lot that had it. Although we don't open it much it does help to brighten up the cabin and so far no rattles or leaks.

You're probably right about the steering wheel adjustment. I don't think I've adjusted it since the initial settings but I'll double check to assure that it's manual only.
Old 09-19-13, 12:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ how long have you had your Q5 and how are you getting along with MMI? That was a key breaking point for my wife because she didn't like turning the **** which she equated to a rotary telephone... Haha
Old 09-19-13, 02:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ how long have you had your Q5 and how are you getting along with MMI? That was a key breaking point for my wife because she didn't like turning the **** which she equated to a rotary telephone... Haha
Surprisingly well for an old guy.. Initially I wondered why we got it, but after a short period we got used to it and it's pretty intuitive. I think these things just take some getting used to and then they are OK. Even the infamous BMW I Drive seems to be getting better review these days.
Old 09-19-13, 03:57 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We got the pano roof. We bought one off of the lot that had it. Although we don't open it much it does help to brighten up the cabin and so far no rattles or leaks.

You're probably right about the steering wheel adjustment. I don't think I've adjusted it since the initial settings but I'll double check to assure that it's manual only.
The deal with the steering wheel is that we both will drive the car and with the powered wheel has driver configurable setting. Probably not the biggest deal, but something she does prefer having.

Were you able to negotiate much off the Q5 sticker?
Old 09-19-13, 04:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wow did not know the MDX made this big of a change, pretty impressive
Old 09-19-13, 05:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
The deal with the steering wheel is that we both will drive the car and with the powered wheel has driver configurable setting. Probably not the biggest deal, but something she does prefer having.

Were you able to negotiate much off the Q5 sticker?
It's good to catch something like the manual wheel adjustment before purchasing if it's a deal breaker. My wife and I both drive the Q5 and keep the setting as is.

I got a little off of the sticker price and was able to get the offer on my trade-in raised to an acceptable level.
Old 09-20-13, 09:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Just saw this thread so I thought I would chime in. I am on my third MDX (2001, 2005, & 2011) since 2002 and they are hard to beat for value and reliability. The only thing I am disappointed with in my 2011 Advance is that the gas mileage is less that with my previous two MDXs. Having driven them for so long, I am tempted to lease a Cayenne or X5, but the practical side of me is not yet convinced. As an aside, the MDX is my daily driver and I am used to the Adaptive Cruise Control (slows the car down when close to the car in front) and last week in my wife's ES300h I about slammed into a car in front of me...need to pay more attention.

I have a buddy that is on about his fourth MDX. He uses them in business and puts a lot of highway miles on them. He usually does a 3-4 year lease and at the end of two years (at the end of a model year with factory incentives) rolls into a new lease for about the same or less payment (If you are rolling into a new lease Acura has a very liberal excess mileage policy as compared to paying a mileage penalty at the end of the lease). However he is about to need new tires and a major service so he is looking now. With the 2004 MDX recently out there are no incentives and really no deals so his payment would be about $100 more per month (all with no initial out of pocket). He may do the deal after comparing the gas savings with better mileage and what he would spend on maintenance for his current vehicle, plus having a newly designed vehicle.

While recognizing that the 14 MDX is redesigned, an alternative is to look for a used 12-13 with low mileage and then buy an AcuraCare extended warranty before the initial warranty is up.
Old 09-22-13, 07:49 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice so far, we are not interested in a left over or pre-owned MDX. We are not looking at a car that is out of production or on its way out of production. Much as we like the current MDX,, the new one outshines it and I believe the sales results are showing that, with cars being sold in advance rather than people buying the leftovers on discount.

We drove RX 350 seemed too soft to me. But overall just didn't like the floaty feel, I did not drive the Sport model which I probably would have preferred.

Q5 drove just the 2.0 which was gutless from a stop, but had some pep once it was moving, but even discounting that I was not overly impressed seems a bit tighter than the others I drove more like a cute-ute than I was looking for.

SRX was a bit larger or so it seemed, not sure the rear seats were not as roomy as I'd like, drive was more firm and connected to the road than in the Lexus, but I was turned off by the nav and control system. This car has good discounts and good 0% 60 month finance on the 2013 but as well this car has been around quite a while. If I was looking for the best deal or best features for the money this would be a good SUV but I don't want to buy the lowest cost and have to live with something like the nav system.

I was offerd a chance to drive the Q7 with TDI but it was rush hour so I declined, but think I will take that for a spin just to cover the bases. It will be a good size for long trips and such, but my wife didn't really like the Q5 all that much especially the nav input control *****, and seemed the nav screen was small for this day and age. And this is over my price range, most likely would go with the MDX but just want to see if I would prefer the Q7 I could stretch my budget. This Audi is an older platform compared to the MDX and disappointed to see it weights 1000 lbs more than the MDX.

Also in favor of the MDX, we are familiar with the Honda/Acura nav system and one thing new to us is that the new MDX will show you the turn directions on the small supplemental screen between the main gauges which may be a benifit,

I know, it sounds like we were all set to go with the MDX but I enjoy testing other cars, was hoping to get something more for less but I have found either cheaper but not better, (will look at the Q7 but if that is better it would also be more expensive, and the TDI only gets the same mileage rating as the MDX). Since we never tow anything not sure there would be any benifit to the Audi.

Last edited by rai; 09-22-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 12:09 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I'm pretty sure the TDi will get better mileage in real-life driving. From what I've read, a lot of the Audi/VW diesels are getting better than advertised mileage.

My wife really disliked the MMI and that was one of the biggest reasons why we didn't opt for the Q5.

But yeah, sounds like you guys are awfully set on the MDX!
Old 09-23-13, 01:04 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

jeep cherokee IMO. really nice cars nowaday
Old 09-23-13, 05:04 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ I'm pretty sure the TDi will get better mileage in real-life driving. From what I've read, a lot of the Audi/VW diesels are getting better than advertised mileage.

My wife really disliked the MMI and that was one of the biggest reasons why we didn't opt for the Q5.

But yeah, sounds like you guys are awfully set on the MDX!
I am fairly sure the TDI will get better gas mileage than the MDX but they are listed as the same 18/27 or 18/28 something like that.

But I don't think my wife wants to mess with Diesel fuel and the Q7 costs more, probably depreciates more and probably costs more in service and repairs. I will have to be blown out of the water for me to pick the Q7 over the MDX, my wife already dislikes the MMI interface.

IMO this is probably a 2 horse race with the RX 350 sport or the MDX, we'd like the Lexus dealership experience, but not really enough for us to pick over the Acura, most times I just have local tire shop do the basic stuff and hopefully true dealership visits are few and far between.
Old 09-23-13, 05:18 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
jeep cherokee IMO. really nice cars nowaday
Wow, the Grand Cherokee actually had all the high tech features, might look at that and the Explorer too.
Old 09-23-13, 06:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

no looker but a ford flex is an explorer with more room! it also has all the tech in limited trim. my only concern about fords these days is their 'mytouch' system.
Old 09-23-13, 06:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
I am fairly sure the TDI will get better gas mileage than the MDX but they are listed as the same 18/27 or 18/28 something like that.

But I don't think my wife wants to mess with Diesel fuel and the Q7 costs more, probably depreciates more and probably costs more in service and repairs. I will have to be blown out of the water for me to pick the Q7 over the MDX, my wife already dislikes the MMI interface.

IMO this is probably a 2 horse race with the RX 350 sport or the MDX, we'd like the Lexus dealership experience, but not really enough for us to pick over the Acura, most times I just have local tire shop do the basic stuff and hopefully true dealership visits are few and far between.
The Q5 diesel is rated at 24/31/27 and the Q7 at 19/28/22. I'm not ready for a diesel at this time. Maybe some time down the road though.

Quick Reply: Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..