Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

my goodness, reading this i had no idea how much standard equipment is on the new mdx, let alone the pile of options. looks like a major upgrade they did for '14.

good review here too:

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/mdx/201...munds-says-pod
Old 09-17-13, 07:43 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my goodness, reading this i had no idea how much standard equipment is on the new mdx, let alone the pile of options. looks like a major upgrade they did for '14.
The MDX is not usually a $58K car, but they bundle the options in such a way that if you want one or two features you are forced to buy in a package, such that the top of the line advance and entertainment package works out to be something like a $14k option package.

Only thing I might prefer that is not offered are 7/8/9 speed transmission and Super large sky roof. I am not sure even if I would like a super large sunroof but I don't care for regular size sunroofs, but might like one if it were super large, but against that is that I am not sure of the safety aspect of these glass roofs I have seen or the weight they might add.

But the features that have me intrigued are these:

Optional safety features include lane-departure and blind-spot warning systems. A forward collision warning system is also available, and it works by warning the driver of a possible collision with auditory and visual alerts. The MDX is also offered with collision mitigation braking, which automatically applies the brakes to prevent or mitigate an impending collision. A lane-keeping assist system is available as well, and it provides automatic steering assistance to keep the MDX in its lane.

Last edited by rai; 09-17-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 10:40 PM
LexFather

good review here too:

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/mdx/201...munds-says-pod
What is outstanding? Seems like normal stuff outside of LED headlights standard.

MDX production has now moved to Alabama from Canada which is good for jobs here.

The MDX also lost 10hp but gained MPG but the competition finds a way to add more power and MPG.

Old 09-18-13, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
What is outstanding? Seems like normal stuff outside of LED headlights standard.
well, things like heated mirrors, power roof, heated seats, backup camera, bluetooth phone connection are std on the mdx, and not on the base lexus rx.

MDX production has now moved to Alabama from Canada which is good for jobs here.
definitely.

The MDX also lost 10hp but gained MPG but the competition finds a way to add more power and MPG.
mdx lost a lot of weight too, so it's not just about absolute power number.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-19-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 10:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

well, things like heated mirrors, power roof, heated seats, backup camera, bluetooth phone connection are std on the mdx, and not on the lexus rx.

definitely.

mdx lost a lot of weight too, so it's not just about absolute power number.
I read in a couple reviews the new gen MDX lost 300 lbs. and no loss in performance with the 3.5 engine.
Old 09-18-13, 11:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It's been a while since I looked at an MDX. The previous generation never really WOWed me so I didn't think the 2014 would either. Looking at the specs now, it made quite a leap in MPG. It weighs slightly less than an RX350, which is surprising since the MDX has 3rd row seating. It has more power and better (rated) MPG than the RX, but I still think the RX is the better looking vehicle of the two.

This is what the previous generation MDX should have been. 21mpg highway was pathetic and I wasn't a fan of the 3.7L. They've stretched the J-series out too big with that. See Acura, you can make a decent product if you put in some effort.
Old 09-19-13, 08:22 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I am going to add the Audi Q5 tdi to my shopping list, we tend to drive a ton of miles and would love a high mile figure. Just worried if people have heard any bad things regarding Audi reliability?
Old 09-19-13, 08:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
I am going to add the Audi Q5 tdi to my shopping list, we tend to drive a ton of miles and would love a high mile figure. Just worried if people have heard any bad things regarding Audi reliability?
A few months ago we bought a new Q5 (gas). While researching, it looks like reliability is improving on them. The problematic 3.2 V6 is gone so that's helping. I believe the new BMW X3 and MB GLK are offering a diesels too.
Old 09-19-13, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Audi reliability has been improving of late, but still not on a par with, say, the Acura MDX.
Old 09-19-13, 08:38 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A few months ago we bought a new Q5 (gas). While researching, it looks like reliability is improving on them. The problematic 3.2 V6 is gone so that's helping. I believe the new BMW X3 and MB GLK are offering a diesels too.
How do you like the Q5?

I guess it's not usually cross shopped with the MDX being about a foot shorter, smaller all around. I suppose it's similar to or a bit smaller than the RX350, have not driven one yet but I imagine its more sporty than either the MDX or RX.
Old 09-19-13, 09:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
How do you like the Q5?

I guess it's not usually cross shopped with the MDX being about a foot shorter, smaller all around. I suppose it's similar to or a bit smaller than the RX350, have not driven one yet but I imagine its more sporty than either the MDX or RX.
So far we like it a lot. We didn't need anything larger, just the capacity to haul some bulky items now and then. We cross shopped the X3, GLK and RDX but preferred the ride, handling, interior and overall feel of the Q5. It drives like a smaller/lighter vehicle.
Old 09-19-13, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So far we like it a lot. We didn't need anything larger, just the capacity to haul some bulky items now and then. We cross shopped the X3, GLK and RDX but preferred the ride, handling, interior and overall feel of the Q5. It drives like a smaller/lighter vehicle.
congrats. which trim level did you get?
Old 09-19-13, 10:02 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Try driving the diesel version. The mpg is great - see the other Audi thread - and it picks up speed effortlessly. If you have a chance, drive one with the S line package. The standard suspension we drove it with felt a little soft so I think the bigger wheels and firmer ride will be more enjoyable. Then again, if you don't mind a soft ride the stock suspension may be fine for you.

We last drove the RX in 2011 as a loaner and the Q5 definitely feels sportier; not sure how it compares to the current RX or the F sport variant though...

Last edited by 92 SC400; 09-19-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 10:33 AM
rai
Lead Lap

So far we like it a lot.
Did you get the panoramic roof? I'm curious about this pros/cons.

Edit: looks like no power steering wheel adjustments, this is one thing my wife specifically wants.

Last edited by rai; 09-19-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My vote would still go to the MDX. In my experience with Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti the Acura has been. by far, the most reliable and least problematic. It never went in for a single problem.

Have you considered the Lexus GX470 ? If you left Acura I would probably go with the GX.

Quick Reply: Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..