Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drunk driver confesses on YouTube to vehicular manslaughter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 05:46 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Drunk driver confesses on YouTube to vehicular manslaughter

Drunk driver confesses on YouTube to vehicular manslaughter

Perpetrating a hit-and-run can be all too easy. You screw up, nobody catches you, you get away with it. But living with the guilt on your conscience can be another matter entirely, especially when the hit you're running away from caused someone's death.

That's what Matthew Cordle apparently felt recently after drunkenly crashing into and killing one Vincent Canzani on June 22, 2013, in Columbus, Ohio. Cordle was apparently returning home from a night on the town when he drove his truck onto the wrong side of Interstate 670 into oncoming traffic and struck Canzani's Jeep. Canzani succumbed to his injuries on the scene. Cordle was advised by attorneys that he could have gotten away with it, but his conscience led him to post a video confession on YouTube instead.

Prosecutors will reportedly indict Cordle for aggravated vehicular homicide with an "alcohol specification," which could, if convicted, put Cordle away for as many as eight years. Cordle was apparently aware of the consequences behind confessing, and did so in order to discourage others from drinking and driving.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/08/d...eo-confession/
Old 09-08-13, 08:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow........
Old 09-08-13, 08:17 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cordle was advised by attorneys that he could have gotten away with it.....
And that's how you know lawyers are heartless people.
Old 09-08-13, 08:23 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think jailing a guy like this is the best use of our resources.

IMO he should just have his driving privileges stripped pretty much indefinitely, and he should be liable via a civil suit to pay victim's family a portion of his paycheck for life (something substantial, like 50%).
Old 09-08-13, 09:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dmvp29

IMO he should just have his driving privileges stripped pretty much indefinitely, and he should be liable via a civil suit to pay victim's family a portion of his paycheck for life (something substantial, like 50%).
That sounds like a better idea to me as well. That would be far more effective than jail time.
Old 09-09-13, 08:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

For a man who took months to develop a conscience after killing an innocent human?
No, jail would be a waste indeed.

Dig a hole, throw him in it, fill the hole with concrete.
Old 09-09-13, 09:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

while it's 'touching' the man has remorse and is trying this public service announcement, the other driver is still dead, and wouldn't be if the man hadn't driven while drunk. the other man is never coming back, and his family's life is also forever altered.

the guy in the video is accepting that punishment will come, good for him, and i wish him well when he gets out.

i do question all the promotion of the 'becauseisaidiwould' social media though...

anyone checked to see if this story is real?
Old 09-09-13, 05:15 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while it's 'touching' the man has remorse and is trying this public service announcement, the other driver is still dead, and wouldn't be if the man hadn't driven while drunk. the other man is never coming back, and his family's life is also forever altered.

the guy in the video is accepting that punishment will come, good for him, and i wish him well when he gets out.

i do question all the promotion of the 'becauseisaidiwould' social media though...

anyone checked to see if this story is real?
Yeah it seems real. All of the major news outlets (e.g. CNN) are already running stories about the legal proceedings.
Old 09-11-13, 10:50 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

http://abcnews.go.com/US/youtube-dru...ry?id=20223748

The piece of **** plead not guilty. I wish he could get life in prison now.
Old 09-11-13, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

^^ oh wow unbelievable
Old 10-05-13, 02:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1459750

He plead guilty once he got a judge more willing to give him a slap on the wrist.

Sentencing is on Oct 10. I'm sure he'll get off easy.
Old 10-23-13, 11:25 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update! Sentence handed down!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/justic...on-sentencing/

He was sentenced today 6 6.5 years in prison and a lifetime revocation of driving privileges. 6 months for DUI and 6 years for aggravated vehicular homicide. Ordered to serve consecutively.

I hope he gets passed around like a joint.
Old 10-23-13, 01:33 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The scary thing is there are hundreds if not thousands of 20 something year olds just as irresponsible and reckless as this guy. The only difference is they're lucky enough not to get into an accident while driving drunk, but they all deserve prison sentences IMO. I think DUI laws are far too lenient.

You're basically slapped with a misdemeanor plus fines for 1st, 2nd and/or 3rd offenses.

A 1st offense for DUI should be 3 months in jail and something substantial like $100,000 fine, no questions asked. Pretty sure that would immediately decrease the amount of drunk driving on the roads.
Old 10-23-13, 02:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

The scary thing is there are hundreds if not thousands of 20 something year olds just as irresponsible and reckless as this guy. The only difference is they're lucky enough not to get into an accident while driving drunk, but they all deserve prison sentences IMO. I think DUI laws are far too lenient.

You're basically slapped with a misdemeanor plus fines for 1st, 2nd and/or 3rd offenses.

A 1st offense for DUI should be 3 months in jail and something substantial like $100,000 fine, no questions asked. Pretty sure that would immediately decrease the amount of drunk driving on the roads.

^10char
Old 10-23-13, 02:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I'll take the 3-Months in jail. $100,000 affects my V12 Vantage fund

Quick Reply: Drunk driver confesses on YouTube to vehicular manslaughter