Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pulled the trigger on a new...*gasp* Nissan LEAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 05:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Everyone gets the tax credit, which aside from the credit itself, is all the more annoying. Wealthier people (the only people that can afford electrics) are being subsidized by poorer people paying the taxes to support the subsidy. It's completely outrageous when you think about it.

The idea of subsidizing electrics is really bothersome and makes no sense. The government is promoting electricity while simultaneously trying to destroy the coal industry. How can someone say that "electricity rates will necessarily skyrocket under my plan..." and then try and get millions of electric cars on the road through taxpayer subsidies? It's mind boggling.

Nothing like paying my car payment as well as my neighbors.
it makes a lot of sense... it is produced internally and not in countries where US has to spend billions upon billions to get access to oil.

as to the dirty EVs, simply not true... batteries produced are 100% recyclable... just like ones in phones and computers that you use, that are far, far bigger problem because lots of people dont dispose of them properly.
Old 09-07-13, 06:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
while I agree with you that subsidies are asinine, I mean 2 docs I work with bought Tesla S and can easily have bought them with or without my tax money.

But I disagree when you say the wealth are being subsidized by the poor, because very few poor people in our country pay any meaningful income tax (I am not talking payroll tax) but talking income tax where the wealthy pay probably 80% of all the income tax collected.

just looked it up, the 'top 10%' pay 70% of all income tax
I'll be the first to remind people that the bottom 50% pay no Federal income tax. I didn't mean "poor" literally. I really mean the working middle class who bust their butts and struggle to pay the tax rates they pay. Portions of that go to "upper class" people buying Tesla S's, as you point out. That's nuts.

Originally Posted by Och
Good luck with the car. I had a deposit put down on a Leaf back in June or July, but they couldn't get me the car for at least 3 month, so I had to back down from the order and ended up with a Mazda 3. It seems that electrics are just difficult to buy outside of Cali.
It's pretty sad. All this push for electrics and then you can't find one. Do automakers want to sell them or don't they?

Originally Posted by spwolf
it makes a lot of sense... it is produced internally and not in countries where US has to spend billions upon billions to get access to oil.

as to the dirty EVs, simply not true... batteries produced are 100% recyclable... just like ones in phones and computers that you use, that are far, far bigger problem because lots of people dont dispose of them properly.
I'm referring to the the production of batteries, not the disposal or recycling part. Producing these batteries takes lots of resources. First, the metals have to be mined (lots of it in foreign countries just like oil), and then factories use lots of energy and resources to build the batteries.
Old 09-07-13, 10:38 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrat!!! I was considering a leaf few month ago but i drive a lot, got a chevy volt instead. Love it, drove 7000 miles only been to gas station 4 times.
Old 09-07-13, 11:22 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Good luck with the car. I had a deposit put down on a Leaf back in June or July, but they couldn't get me the car for at least 3 month, so I had to back down from the order and ended up with a Mazda 3. It seems that electrics are just difficult to buy outside of Cali.
Thanks! That's strange, at 3 dealerships here in the SF Bay Area, there are at least 20 of them on the lot. Actually, the dealership I bought it from claims to sell the most in the US, so maybe they get more allocation?

In general though, I'm not sure why people are venting about EVs. Being an engineer by profession, I can envision one day where there is an "electric highway" where inductive charging of vehicles is standard, but then again I also see how hyrdogen fuel cells may be a better alternative. As I said before, I never bought the car to proclaim myself as some sort of environmental activist. I bought it because it was dirt cheap and perfect for commuting duties (and kool to boot). My mom loves the EV so much, we're thinking of getting her a FIT EV (once available) to replace her old Pilot.

FYI - for those concern with the range, NIssan now has a 6.6kw quick charge package that is supposed to charge up to 80% in 30min (on a 440v power rail though, usually at a Nissan dealer). I myself use just 110V trickle charge and have had no issues whatsoever.
Old 09-08-13, 06:39 AM
LexFather

Congrats, I don't know what but I have a soft spot for the Leaf

Old 07-25-15, 06:14 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Thought I'd update this old post....after 2 years of ownership, here's my impression of the Leaf:

Good: cheap entry price (when subsidized), no more gas, minimal maintenance, CA white stickers for HOV lane, quick off the line (instaneous torque), quick 440v charger works great, lots of cheap (or free) charging outlets in SF area

Bad: depreciates like a boat anchor, mediocore range prevents all day errands, stock halogens lights really suck, crappy radio

Ugly: looks like cheap econo hatch (inside and out)

Summary: great commuter, but has a very limited range and cheap design throughout. Would only recommend as a 2nd or 3rd car.

For us, it's not that practical so we're getting rid of it for an ICE again.
Old 07-25-15, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Thought I'd update this old post....after 2 years of ownership, here's my impression of the Leaf:

Good: cheap entry price (when subsidized), no more gas, minimal maintenance, CA white stickers for HOV lane, quick off the line (instaneous torque), quick 440v charger works great, lots of cheap (or free) charging outlets in SF area

Bad: depreciates like a boat anchor, mediocore range prevents all day errands, stock halogens lights really suck, crappy radio

Summary: great commuter, but has a very limited range and cheap design throughout. Would only recommend as a 2nd or 3rd car.

For us, it's not that practical so we're getting rid of it four an ICE again.
Thanks for the update. It looks like the electric cars except for the Telsa lacks owners satisfaction.
Old 07-25-15, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You must have really had to go out on a limb to get the Leaf. (Yeah, I know......that's a groaner)

Anyhow, on a more serious note, it sounds like it has served you at least reasonably well, given the inherent limitations of a non-Tesla full-electric.....range has always been a potential issue with them. But, if you are dissatisfied with it, you don't necessarily have to spend Tesla money to get a nice electric. Though it won't have the Tesla's range, Ford, for example, does a nice full-electric Focus, starting at a reasonable (by electric standards) $29,170, which is somewhat larger and more roomy than a Leaf.
Old 07-25-15, 08:44 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You must have really had to go out on a limb to get the Leaf. (Yeah, I know......that's a groaner)

Anyhow, on a more serious note, it sounds like it has served you at least reasonably well, given the inherent limitations of a non-Tesla full-electric.....range has always been a potential issue with them. But, if you are dissatisfied with it, you don't necessarily have to spend Tesla money to get a nice electric. Though it won't have the Tesla's range, Ford, for example, does a nice full-electric Focus, starting at a reasonable (by electric standards) $29,170, which is somewhat larger and more roomy than a Leaf.
We still like the concept of a full electric, particularly its benefits of instantaneous torque and very low to zero maintenance. However, after the first 6 months of trying to make it be what it wasn't, it basically stayed in the garage when we weren't commuting with it. So after 2 years, we only had like 9K miles on it. If Nissan had made some more changes and did a gen 2 Leaf with maybe 50% more electric range (and a lot better styling - Infiniti LE where are you?) , we probably would switched to this.

For now, we're anxiously awaiting the Tesla Model E (not really interested in anything, save for the I8). In the interim, we got another ICE... (more on this in another post).
Old 07-25-15, 08:51 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for the update. It looks like the electric cars except for the Telsa lacks owners satisfaction.
Part of this is due to dealer experience. We're basically treated like the red-headed stepchild. Since there is zero maintenance on the cars, sans for tire rotation and maybe the occasional brake job, dealers don't make much $$ off of EVs ownerships. Whenever I strayed over to a Nissan dealer to get charged up, it was a PITA to get someone to hand over the magic "wand" to start the 440V fast charger (yet they had no issues selling me that option when i bought it). Half the time, the associated didn't even know what I was even talking about... I still like EVs a lot, but in this time of cheap gas (knock on wood), we don't really care about the "savings" it would give us and would rather enjoy our cars, as opposed to treating them as commuting appliance.
Old 07-25-15, 09:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you couldn't get more use out of it. Looks like a good financial hit after putting only 9K miles on it. Apparently you got the $32K Leaf for about $18K. And really, this competes with ICE cars around $18K, not $32K. Even though you got so much off the Leaf, it really saved you no money. 9,000 miles in an ICE car that averages 35 MPG (typical for this size class) would have cost about $775 at $3/gal. All the while being a full time, unlimited range car.

Fun experiment but another example of the problems with EVs. I read recently that most EV buyers in recent years have traded in for gas SUVs. LOL.
Old 07-26-15, 01:44 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For us, it's not that practical so we're getting rid of it for an ICE again.
Thanks for the update. I'm hearing and reading about ranges being extended for these econo electric vehicles to the 200-250 mile range.
Would that have changed your mind or did the dealership sour the experience to the point you wouldn't buy another?
Old 07-26-15, 03:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

very interesting, and honest feedback.

this is where the left has stuck a fork in their own eye. they want to save the world from global warming but with no gas tax income to keep the roads up and huge tax rebates for ev's, the ev's are a GIANT LOSS for the government.

cue oregon, who is now 'testing' with 'pay by the mile' for road usage, by asking 'volunteers' to put a gps tracker in their vehicles. not too much privacy loss.

but the writing's on the wall. coming soon - cars won't require a govt tracker, because new ones are connected anyway, they'll just report in usage, and you get a tax bill, like a water bill, etc.
Old 07-26-15, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very interesting, and honest feedback.

this is where the left has stuck a fork in their own eye. they want to save the world from global warming but with no gas tax income to keep the roads up and huge tax rebates for ev's, the ev's are a GIANT LOSS for the government.
Repaving the roads (and I agree it is desperately needed in many areas) does not necessarily have to come from the gas tax. Unless the state has its own state constitutional restrictions on how money is spent, and from where, or the money has not already been earmarked for something else, the legislature can usually mandate, and the Governor sign, any road-repair or road-maintenance bill using public tax-dollars from the state's treasury. That gives the state government more flexibility to meet public needs with limited tax income.
Old 07-26-15, 05:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Part of this is due to dealer experience. We're basically treated like the red-headed stepchild. Since there is zero maintenance on the cars, sans for tire rotation and maybe the occasional brake job, dealers don't make much $$ off of EVs ownerships. Whenever I strayed over to a Nissan dealer to get charged up, it was a PITA to get someone to hand over the magic "wand" to start the 440V fast charger (yet they had no issues selling me that option when i bought it). Half the time, the associated didn't even know what I was even talking about... I still like EVs a lot, but in this time of cheap gas (knock on wood), we don't really care about the "savings" it would give us and would rather enjoy our cars, as opposed to treating them as commuting appliance.
Did your energy bill at home go up? What I don't understand is why anyone would pay such a high premium for a small car with low HP when you can get a Corolla or a Civic that is not that bad on the fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a new...*gasp* Nissan LEAF