Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 10:20 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quattro GmbH boss says Audi RS3 will have around 360 bhp - report

RS3 sedan also under consideration

Quattro GmbH Managing Director Heinz Hollerweger has revealed some new details about the Audi RS3.

Speaking to Top Gear, Hollerweger said the model will have a five-cylinder engine that will "probably get around 360 bhp (268 kW).” He also raised the possibility of a 400 bhp (298 kW) variant but said we will have to wait and see what happens.

Regardless of the final numbers, Hollerweger said the car will be introduced next year and feature a DSG transmission. The company is also considering a manual gearbox but nothing has been decided as of yet.

In related news, Hollerweger said the Clubsport Quattro concept was created to see how American and Chinese consumers would react to an RS3 sedan. The company hasn't green-lighted the model but it's probably just a matter of time.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11406267...around-360-bhp
Old 06-26-14, 10:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
They got a good lease deal out the gate. These things are selling super fast.
True.
Dealer near me has 55 in stock.

2015 Audi A3

$199 Lease Special
2015 Audi A3 1.8T fwd S-Trontic
Premium Package (includes leather, sunroof, music streaming),
Cold Weather Package, Single Zone Climate, non-metallic paint
$199/month, $2499 Capitalized Cost Reduction,
$695 Bank Fee
36 month, 7500 miles per year 1ST PAYMENT WAIVED!

http://www.paulmilleraudi.com/specials/new.htm
Old 07-17-14, 07:31 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Audi A3 Outsold Mercedes CLA 2 to 1 in its First Three Months in U.S.

The Audi A3 Sedan outsold the Mercedes CLA almost two to one in its first three months on the U.S. market. CLA sales have dropped in seven of the past eight months, in contrast with last year’s performance, when the four-door coupe helped Benz become the best-selling luxury automaker in the States to became the most successful new Mercedes in two decades.

The compact premium segment is very important to automakers as it targets young drivers who might become loyal to the brand for life and eventually spend six figures on a range-topping luxury sedan.

The Audi A3’s success may be due to more favorable reviews and more comprehensive standard equipment. The base A3 Sedan comes fitted with a sunroof and leather seats, while the CLA comes standard with a solid roof and faux-leather seats.

According to Bloomberg, the Audi A3 Sedan sold for an average price of about $32,530 in June, compared with $38,571 for the CLA. Both cars start at $29,900. The 2015 Audi A3 Sedan recorded its strongest month with 2,452 vehicles sold in June, its third full month in the U.S. market, almost double the CLA’s sales.

Overall, Audi sold 16,867 vehicles in June in the U.S. and 84,349 units in the first six months of the year, while Mercedes-Benz sold 151,624 vehicles in the same period. BMW leads the way in the U.S., outpacing Mercedes-Benz by more than 5,000 sales.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/aud...2-to-1-in.html
Old 07-17-14, 07:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the a3 may be pretty dull, but its classy compared to the WEIRD and crude cla.
Old 07-17-14, 08:28 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Each to their own, I find the A3 a little bland I also find the interior to be too minimalist for my tastes. I liked the old A3 hatch a lot but this one just doesn't do it for me...

Although the CLA isn't perfect (I dislike the back and some of the proportions are off) it looks pretty good once you start adding some options.

Old 08-05-14, 06:27 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Audi A3 Sportback E-Tron Priced from €37,900 in Germany

Audi’s first ever production plug-in hybrid, the A3 Sportback E-Tron, is available to order in Europe at 410 Audi dealers, 105 of which are in Germany.

The model is priced from €37,900 ($50,895) in Germany, with the first compact electric cars to be handed over to customers this winter. Audi is also offering the A3 Sportback E-Tron from €319 ($428) per month for a leasing contract with a term of 36 months.

To mark the start of the A3 Sportback E-Tron, Audi has put together an “e-tron plus” package which includes in Germany the charging dock, a cable for public charging points, MMI navigation plus, Audi connect and phone box.

The Audi A3 Sportback E-Tron combines a 1.4-liter TFSI gasoline engine and an electric motor, for a system output of 204PS (201hp). The A3 Sportback e-tron’s fuel consumption in accordance with the NEDC standard for plug-in hybrid vehicles is just 1.5 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (156.8 US mpg), with CO2 emissions of 35 grams per kilometer.

The vehicle has an all-electric driving range of 50 kilometers (31 miles), while in combined mode it can cover more than 900 kilometers (559 miles).

Audi says dealerships’ employees are receiving special training in sales and service relating to electric vehicles for the A3 Sportback E-Tron. Between mid-July and the end of August, Audi is providing training to around 2,000 sales, service and used car employees from all over Europe at its Training Center next to Munich.

In addition, some 300 German high-voltage technicians and service advisors from Audi will undertake a technical training course at the Service Training Center in Neckarsulm.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/aud...iced-from.html
Old 08-05-14, 06:28 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Upcoming Audi RS3 Revs its Five Cylinders on the Nürburgring

When Audi unveiled the TT-RS 420 Concept at this year's Geneva Motor Show, it took everyone by surprise, especially those who were expecting yet another evolution of the glorious five-cylinder in the previous generation of the model.

It was powered by a two-liter four-cylinder derived from the EA888 engine that sits in various forms under the hoods of the current Audi S3, VW Golf R and Seat Leon Cupra. In other words, the TT-RS 420 Concept made everyone believe that both the upcoming Audi TT-RS and RS3 production models will feature a variant of the EA888 instead of the old five-cylinder that everyone loves.

Well, if we are to base our opinion about this subject on the exhaust notes heard from the following pre-production prototype, fans of the CEPA 2.5-liter five-pot should rest assured.

As you can hear for yourself in the video, which was apparently shot by the peeps at TouriClips on the 24th of June, the upcoming Audi RS3 will most definitely have more than four-cylinders, with the 2.5-liter tuned to deliver at least the same output as the Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG.

Some sources indicate either 367 hp or 380 hp – both of which should be enough to give some headaches to the boys and girls from Affalterbach. Expect more information about the new Audi RS3 8V in the upcoming months, as we are nearing its unveil date at the 2014 edition of the Paris Motor Show.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/upc...-its-five.html
Old 08-05-14, 07:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Originally Posted by doge
Each to their own, I find the A3 a little bland I also find the interior to be too minimalist for my tastes. I liked the old A3 hatch a lot but this one just doesn't do it for me...

Although the CLA isn't perfect (I dislike the back and some of the proportions are off) it looks pretty good once you start adding some options.

That's what makes horse racing. I find the CLA so unappealing, I would sooner get a Toyota Camry. But I'm very intrigued by the A3.
Old 08-05-14, 07:10 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

For me, I think the CLA looks better in photo than it does in real life.
Old 08-05-14, 10:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

RS3 eh.. we need CT F
Old 08-16-14, 05:50 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Audi A3 Review

Was Dropping the Fifth Door a Big Mistake?

Switching schools stinks, breaking up with your significant other is hard and dealing with a disagreeable decision someone else made is never easy. Change is challenging, but sometimes it’s a good thing.

FAST FACTS
  • Engine: 2.0T four cylinder engine makes 220 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
  • Transmission: six-speed dual-clutch.
  • Fuel economy: 24/33/27 MPG city/highway/combined.
  • Price: Starts at $33,795 for the 2.0T or $43,850 as tested.
  • For the better part of two decades, anyone looking for a small luxury hatchback could turn to the Audi A3. I use “could” because for 2015, Audi axed one of the doors and made the A3 a sedan.

I wasn’t ready for that to happen. The old A3 looked good and its fifth door made it practical despite the small footprint. Believe it or not, Audi doesn’t ask me before making major decisions, but did they throwing the baby out with the bath water or is the four-ring brand on to something better than ever before?

What Makes it Tick?

The A3 comes with one of two turbocharged inline four-cylinder engines. There’s a 1.8-liter mill that makes 170 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque in base models or the model I drove with the same 2.0-liter powerplant in Volkswagen uses in the MK7 GTI.

Unlike that car, Audi doesn’t leave you any choice in transmissions. Instead, you’re saddled with a six-speed S-Tronic dual clutch gearbox and that’s it. No more manual transmission model for the A3 line. Sorry “save the manuals” fanatics, but this is a losing battle.

Fitted with the larger, more powerful engine, Audi says you can expect to see up to 24 MPG during city driving, 33 on open roads or 27 MPG spread between the two.

Best Looking of the Bunch

As you might already know, the A3 is based on Volkswagen’s MQB modular platform, which means this car shares its architecture with the Volkswagen Golf and little pieces of that show through in the A3. For example, the dual exhaust tips look the same as the MK7 GTI.

Its basic equipment list includes 17-inch aluminum wheels while you can opt for 18’s or even 19-inch versions should that strike your fancy. Prestige models like the car I drove also come with a more aggressive front fascia and side skirts. In fact, the A3 really just looks like a shrunken version A4 and that can hardly fall in the strike column.

Keep in mind, the A4 sold more than five times for every A3 in 2012, so why wouldn’t Audi want to let its smallest product ape bigger and better selling cars? After all, there’s more competition than ever in this segment with the Mercedes CLA 250 on the market. Maybe that was the key point behind giving a heave-ho to the hatch. But that can’t be the whole story. After all, there’s the interior and, of course, the actual experience of driving the car.

Benz-Embarrassing Insides

First things first; as a sedan, the back seat’s got to be much worse, right? Well, you sacrifice almost an inch of headroom over the hatchback, but you actually get a little more legroom. Like the Golf, the A3 is larger this time around and it’s apparent from the driver seat.

This car is also brimming with all the bells and whistles that Audi offers. You get adaptive cruise control, sport seats and brushed aluminum inlays… if you’re willing to pay more for them. Even if you aren’t, the basic design is pretty damn attractive. For example, you still get leather seats, a panoramic sunroof and dual zone automatic climate control without paying a dime above MSRP. High-five Audi!

Even though this is their baby car, it does a good job of avoiding one of the worst pitfalls common in its price range: feeling cheap. There are some hard plastic surfaces, but for the most part it looks and feels like costlier products you will see it sitting beside at a dealer showroom.

More importantly, its cabin is way ahead of the Mercedes CLA 250. Sadly, it feels like Mercedes rushed the CLA-Class to production. Certain panels don’t fit very well and the cabin materials generally feel cheaper than they look, but that really isn’t the case here, but I digress.

There’s one more thing to touch on: the new infotainment interface. Instead of the little dial from before, you get a big wheel with a pad that lets you enter addresses by writing with your finger. It requires acclimation, but before long you’ll be punching addresses in without looking away from the road.

Saves “Sporty” for Other Models

This car is bigger than the last generation and you might assume that means it’s also heavier, but it’s actually about 100 lbs lighter. Married to the 2.0-liter turbo four with 220 hp at 4,500 RPM and 258 lb-ft of torque blasting forth at only 1,600 RPM, slow is not a word I would use readily to describe the A3 in this guise.

With that engine, it’s supposed to hit 60 mph in 5.8 seconds and that seems accurate. Better still, the bigger engine only costs an extra $3,000. For that price, you get 50 extra hp and 58 more lb-ft of torque that would be a shame to skip.

Now if you’re keeping track, that’s the same as the MK7 GTI with the optional performance package. So is this just a GTI sedan dressed for dinner? Nope. Sorry. It just isn’t.

Sure Audi offers its drive select system that lets you program faster shifts, stiffer steering and sharper feedback from the gas pedal, but it just feels so much softer than the GTI. It’s designed to be comfortable over cracked pavement and it really is. Speed bumps and potholes are a non-issue and the cabin is well isolate at high speeds.

Audi doesn’t even offer a “sport” suspension in the A3 and that would be disappointing were it not for the fact that we’re also getting the S3 and I’ve got to applaud them for separating the performance and luxury models.

Pricing for the two-liter model starts at $33,795 including delivery although the car I drove costs roughly $10,000 more than that at $43,850.

The Verdict:

With looks that are right at home in the Audi line and Benz-beating interior quality, the new A3 is a standout product. Yes, it loses some of its old five-door pragmatism, but it’s hard to care when the rest of the package such a big step forward.

LOVE IT
Stylish
Interior quality
Acceleration
Smooth ride

LEAVE IT
Less 2nd row headroom than last year
Auto only

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-4070.html
Old 09-19-14, 01:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Audi RS3 Sportback prototype goes all out on the Nurburgring [video]

Will have around 360 bhp

A prototype of the 2015 Audi RS3 Sportback has been spied testing hard on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Audi is putting the finishing touches on the new RS3 which from what we saw in previous spy photos and videos will be sold as a five-door Sportback. Seen here is a camouflaged prototype conducting some last-minute testing on the 'Ring, ahead of an expected reveal in about two weeks at the Paris Motor Show.

We know for sure it will be powered by the firm's well-known five-cylinder 2.5-liter which according to Quattro GmbH Managing Director Heinz Hollerweger will develop somewhere in the region of 360 bhp (268 kW), but a beefier 400 bhp (298 kW) variant is also being considered. All that power will be channeled to both axles through a DSG transmission but a manual gearbox is also being analyzed.

Let's not forget Audi revealed an A3 clubsport quattro earlier this year at Wörthersee in Austria and shortly after that Audi Australia product planner Matthew Dale hinted the concept could preview an RS3 Sedan so Audi could decide to sell the new RS3 in two body styles.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409188...he-nurburgring
Old 09-26-14, 07:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Audi S3 Sedan Limited Edition Is Only for the US, 350 Will Be Made

Click here to view more photos

Audi has quietly released a 2015 S3 Limited Edition Package in the US market, with the model featuring a series of aesthetic and performance upgrades.

Audi will build only 350 units of this limited edition series, which features styling upgrades including a Daytona Gray pearl exterior paint, a contrasting red and black interior, full LED headlights and red brake calipers.

The S3 Limited Edition also gets a more comprehensive standard equipment including the S3’s performance package which adds 19-inch S3-specific alloy-wheels shod with 235/35 summer tires and Audi magnetic ride. The latter is a magnetic suspension system that constantly adjusts the firmness of the dampers within milliseconds based on driving conditions.

No changes have been made under the hood, with the S3 Limited Edition featuring the same 2.0-liter TFSI four-cylinder turbo engine producing 292hp (296PS) and 280lb-ft (380Nm) of torque. Mated to a six-speed S-tronic dual-clutch transmission sending power to all four wheels, the engine allows the S3 to sprint from 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h) in 4.7 seconds.

Audi has not yet released pricing on the 2015 S3 Limited Edition model, but it should start significantly higher than the standard S3, which retails from $41,995 ($895 destination charge included).
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/aud...n-is-only.html
Old 09-26-14, 07:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Yay or Nay? Audi's New S3 Sedan on Vossen Wheels

Audi's freshest sporty sedan, the 2015 S3, receives a new stance, courtesy of Vossen Wheel's Japanese arm.

The Sepang Blue P
earl-colored saloon was equipped with Vossen's CVT directional alloy wheels, which are available in 19", 20" and 22" diameters – we suspect that this example may be wearing the 22-inch version.

From the pictures, it's evident that the S3 rides on a lowered suspension and that Vossen must have added rear wheel arch extensions to accommodate the wider wheels.

Take a closer look at the car in the gallery and voice your opinion below.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/yay...on-vossen.html
Old 09-26-14, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like them. Sharp little saloon. As much as I love deep blue's, they are a PITA to upkeep, worse than Obsidian IMO

Quick Reply: Audi A3 Thread