Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 09:58 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's always fun to compare a non-doctored, actual photograph of an interior to CGI doctored one. And I fail to see the appeal of the Mazda, especially with that navigation screen which is tacked on the dash and looks like a flimsy afterthought.
Old 09-05-13, 10:29 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Underpowered car? It doesn't do 0-60 in 7 seconds, oh lord we are going to die!

Get real. Nobody is going to get run over in a Corolla by a semi. The car is faster than many cars were 10 or 20 years ago that were considered fast. It's faster than my '94 Pickup with a 22R-E and I manage just fine merging on the highway, just as I've done in Corollas that accelerate better than that old pickup.

And the last thing I'd ever do is put my kids in a "fast" car for them to wrap it around a tree. And if I were a kid and got a brand new Corolla to drive I'd think it's the coolest thing ever.
I was just about to post, and then read yours....which was exactly what I was thinking.

.... And I fail to see the appeal of the Mazda, especially with that navigation screen which is tacked on the dash and looks like a flimsy afterthought.
LOL, and I was thinking the same thing again. The Corolla interior looks quite nice, IMO. Mazda's not bad either, but yep, that tacked on screen certainly looks like a last minute postscript.
Old 09-05-13, 10:38 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

a corolla only needs to get from A to B without breaking down.
It does not need to do anything else well.
You could even take out the suspension and make the ride rock hard, and it will be best seller.
Old 09-06-13, 12:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Bunch of shameless Toyota apologists in this thread. Why settle for mediocrity? You guys seriously want Toyota to end up like Honda has for a decade now? And the difference in 0-60 times between the Corolla and the other cars they mentioned isn't a mere "0.3 seconds". It's as much as a FULL 2 SECOND DIFFERENCE to 60 mph, which is huge. People need to merge you know, and parents might have their kids driving these cars. I wouldn't want my kids trying to merge in an underpowered car. Traffic and drivers are crazy these days.

Stop apologizing for Toyota. It's pathetic. Demand better.
I completely agree. When you have an easy chance to be better, you should take it. Yes, the Corolla is hugely successful and sells in high amounts to certain people, but imagine how much more they'd sell if it hit all the marks or was at least a bit faster? That's where settling is a shame and that is exactly what helped get Honda in it's current spinout. There was more potential and Toyota left certain boxes unchecked. To me, that's like throwing potential money down the drain.
Old 09-06-13, 04:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I was just about to post, and then read yours....which was exactly what I was thinking.

LOL, and I was thinking the same thing again. The Corolla interior looks quite nice, IMO. Mazda's not bad either, but yep, that tacked on screen certainly looks like a last minute postscript.
Mazda looks like copied 1 series interior but not just there yet... It is also photoshopped official picture, while Corolla is real life picture... Corolla has excellent interior, they should get kudos for it. I have been and driven Auris, which has very similar interior but Corolla's is nicer... and Auris one is very nice indeed.
Old 09-06-13, 06:58 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I don't see why everyone is so down on the 1996 Ford Taurus. The Taurus has been the best selling vehicle in the United States, and will obviously remain the best selling vehicle no matter what. It uses the proven Vulcan V6 which makes a pretty good 145 horsepower. I mean, let's be honest, no one is drag racing a mid-sized family sedan. I can't imagine ever needing more than 145 horsepower, ever. It's a huge improvement over the 1995 Taurus and that's all it really needed to be.
Old 09-06-13, 07:18 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Yes, it's always fun to compare a non-doctored, actual photograph of an interior to CGI doctored one. And I fail to see the appeal of the Mazda, especially with that navigation screen which is tacked on the dash and looks like a flimsy afterthought.
I can see past the special effects and understand the design. Not saying the Corolla has a bad interior just from a design perspective its a bit of a mess.
Old 09-06-13, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

lol @ long thread discussing an MT review of a corolla
corolla is a great automotive appliance. it will pretty much always start, always get you there, won't cost much to run, and has decent resale. it's boring as HELL to drive, unless you get the chance to thrash a rental or don't care.
Old 09-06-13, 08:18 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about 25% of its sales will be fleet sales...... too busy to find source, will post later in the day.
Old 09-06-13, 09:02 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

If I were in the market for a late-model compact car, I would be looking hard at the Lancer over this. I've driven both in the last month, and the Lancer was much more pleasant. Granted, the Lancer was an 08 and the Corolla was an 09, so it's not the 2014 model, but still. Toyota is not the end all, be all of automobiles.
Old 09-06-13, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage

I don't see why everyone is so down on the 1996 Ford Taurus. The Taurus has been the best selling vehicle in the United States, and will obviously remain the best selling vehicle no matter what.
The controversial 1996 Taurus, with its oval-themes everywhere, was just too much for a lot of people....even previous repeat Taurus-buyers. It started a significant slide in the sales numbers wich lasted for several years. Ford (wisely) made the next-generation model signifcantly more conservative, and sales picked up.
Old 09-06-13, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If I were in the market for a late-model compact car, I would be looking hard at the Lancer over this. I've driven both in the last month, and the Lancer was much more pleasant. Granted, the Lancer was an 08 and the Corolla was an 09, so it's not the 2014 model, but still. Toyota is not the end all, be all of automobiles.
Buying a new Lancer, though, would be essentially a Catch-22 situation. Mitsubishi, despite company rhetoric, may not be in the U.S. much longer....though, of course, on the other hand, if one does NOT buy their products, their departure is virtually guaranteed. Problem is.......like Suzuki before they folded in the U.S., Miusubishi has let their dealerships dwindle down to simply too low a number.....you have to have retail outlets if you want to sell cars.

At least, with a new Corolla, you won't have that problem. Toyota has a vast sales/service network here, isn't going to fold in the American market, and the car itself has an excellent reputation for reliability.
Old 09-06-13, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

friend has an older lancer sedan, and i was amazed how comfortable, quiet, and reliable it is and has been.
Old 09-06-13, 11:29 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't buy brand new, or even from dealerships though. Won't be an issue for me. I've never set foot on a Toyota/Lexus lot.
Old 09-06-13, 11:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

not every driver cares about driving dynamics. They want it safe, economical, and very very reliable. A driver like my mom or your mom wants those traits and will not be *****ing about electric steering, lack of feel, or body roll through the corners. There are more of those drivers than there are drivers like us. This is why it sells like hot cakes. Keep talking crap. Toyota is taking the cash to the bank

Quick Reply: Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review