Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 09:03 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If the 0-60 MPG ties the Sentra, I don't think it matters to consumers, seeing that I see the new Sentra all over the streets of New York i'm sure this thing will fly off the sales floor, looks much better than the Civic and Elantra.
Old 09-05-13, 09:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This is such a massive improvement over the outgoing. Not sure why they can complain
Old 09-05-13, 10:19 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I see the point of, "hey, it's a Corolla, people don't want to go fast" but for me, it becomes more about the other cars in this segment doing all of the same stuff as the Corolla - reliable, comfortable, decent interior, 40+ MPG, tech packages - and more, for the same amount of money. In my eyes, that car is the Mazda 3.

Is the Corolla a bad car? Nope, but it is very far from being the best car in the segment, because cars like the 3 do everything the Corolla can do plus so much more, for the same amount of money.

Toyota's approach here was similar to the Camry: Do what we need to do to maintain the top sales spot. NOT "do what we can to innovate and lead the segment," which I find to be a bit sad.
I could not have said it better myself.

Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review-kmmcf3a.jpg

VS

"The rest of the world isn't like us. They don't have an obsession with cars or driving. If they did, the Mazda3 would be the best selling car in its class by the widest margin possible. Most people just want to get from Point A to Point B, and occasionally on the weekends Point C."
Old 09-05-13, 10:39 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see the point of, "hey, it's a Corolla, people don't want to go fast" but for me, it becomes more about the other cars in this segment doing all of the same stuff as the Corolla - reliable, comfortable, decent interior, 40+ MPG, tech packages - and more, for the same amount of money. In my eyes, that car is the Mazda 3.

Is the Corolla a bad car? Nope, but it is very far from being the best car in the segment, because cars like the 3 do everything the Corolla can do plus so much more, for the same amount of money.

Toyota's approach here was similar to the Camry: Do what we need to do to maintain the top sales spot. NOT "do what we can to innovate and lead the segment," which I find to be a bit sad.
Not me. I am happy that Toyota has and holds true to a formula that sells a boatload of Camrys and Corollas. With all of the profit from these sales, they can make their upscale cars that much better (like the Avalon and the full line of Lexuses).

I'd rather Toyota stick to their winning formula for sales for their mid-level cars, because then it allows them to be more elaborate and risky with their higher line cars. I'll take it.

We all love the Mazdas because of how they drive and look, most others buying cars in these price ranges care about other things. And I am glad Toyota knows this.

Last edited by KevinGS; 09-05-13 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 10:57 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Not me. I am happy that Toyota has and holds true to a formula that sells a boatload of Camrys and Corrolas. With all of the profit from these sales, they can make their upscale cars that much better (like the Avalon and the full line of Lexuses).

I'd rather Toyota stick to their winning formula for sales for their mid-level cars, because then it allows them to be more elaborate and risky with their higher line cars. I'll take it.

We all love the Mazdas because of how they drive and look, most others buying cars in these price ranges care about other things. And I am glad Toyota knows this.
guess that explains why they are using the same platform and engine from 2006...

I get what you are saying....But i think its sad that Its one selling point (and only because of its badge) is the reputation for brutal, ruthless reliability.
Old 09-05-13, 11:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

It is same approach as Rav4 vs CX5 and you selected Rav4 :-)

I dont see how others do "so much more" than Corolla... they dont. Does anyone get 42 MPG with Automatic? Does anyone get standard LED headlights? Does anyone have more space at the back? does....

Nope.
Old 09-05-13, 11:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
guess that explains why they are using the same platform and engine from 2006...

I get what you are saying....But i think its sad that Its one selling point (and only because of its badge) is the reputation for brutal, ruthless reliability.
Engine is ZR series, introduced in NA in 2009, with new Valvematic tech in Eco model. Same goes for platform - wheelbase has been extended to match one of the Prius. Brand new CVT and EPS.
Old 09-05-13, 11:23 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spwolf
Engine is ZR series, introduced in NA in 2009, with new Valvematic tech in Eco model. Same goes for platform - wheelbase has been extended to match one of the Prius. Brand new CVT and EPS.

Correct, introduced to NA in 2009, same generation of corolla sold around the world since 06 (japan) with the 2ZR engine.

Platform is the MC platform (came out in 2006 with the rav4) , which correct, is shared with the Prius, matrix, etc.

I will say the CVT is supposed to be one of the nicer CVTs.

@SPwolf, Mazda3 gets 40mpg with the AT, and HID headlights in certain trim.
I haven't found any numbers on cargo room alone for the 2014 corolla.
Old 09-05-13, 11:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is same approach as Rav4 vs CX5 and you selected Rav4 :-)

I dont see how others do "so much more" than Corolla... they dont. Does anyone get 42 MPG with Automatic? Does anyone get standard LED headlights? Does anyone have more space at the back? does....

Nope.
The Rav4 was a significant departure from the last generation and in my opinion, Toyota played to win in the entry level CUV segment. They delivered a vehicle that has been pretty highly regarded by the press, is smashing sales targets (they STILL can't get enough inventory at dealerships) and offers a number of features that are best or tied-for-best in segment. They went after the Escape and CR-V with a mission, and IMO, accomplished it.

This Corolla seems to be a "good enough" effort aimed at holding sales. It doesn't seem like anyone really disagrees with that notion either. I quite frankly don't care much about individual press reviews, but the general consensus is worth considering. If you look at the specs, design, features and performance of the Corolla, it falls to to midpack at best. Mazda continues to innovate here, Chevy is gobbling up sales in the segment, a new Focus is around the corner and we'll see a new Elantra sometime in the next few years. It's fiercely competitive, and Toyota basically said, "Hmm...ok, let's just do our thing and see where it gets us."
Old 09-05-13, 11:29 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

It sure is ugly looking compared to the Corolla S from a few years ago.
Old 09-05-13, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Corolla is best selling car ever made.
Sure is. Only the Model T Ford and air-cooled VW Beetle even come close. And WHY did the Corolla sell so well over the years? Several reasons, but one of the most significant is that it is NOT sports-oriented. People usually don't want that in this type of car.
Old 09-05-13, 01:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I think a buyer in this segment is more concerned with fuel economy, reliability, and practicality. Cost of ownership is a huge factor for these types of cars, not performance.

Never understood why most magazines and TV shows like Motorweek test every car as if they are testing a Porsche 911 with them taking minivans and Buicks to run slaloms and on the drag strip.
Old 09-05-13, 01:56 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ...........

Listen the Corolla has NEVER been the leader on the areas mentioned by MT.

It will continue to sell well as it has been. I don't think Toyota has anything to be worried about, again it will sell very very well.

4-5 years from now we will see who holds its value better and where the "better ones" on this segment will be.
Old 09-05-13, 03:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The Rav4 was a significant departure from the last generation and in my opinion, Toyota played to win in the entry level CUV segment. They delivered a vehicle that has been pretty highly regarded by the press, is smashing sales targets (they STILL can't get enough inventory at dealerships) and offers a number of features that are best or tied-for-best in segment. They went after the Escape and CR-V with a mission, and IMO, accomplished it.

This Corolla seems to be a "good enough" effort aimed at holding sales. It doesn't seem like anyone really disagrees with that notion either. I quite frankly don't care much about individual press reviews, but the general consensus is worth considering. If you look at the specs, design, features and performance of the Corolla, it falls to to midpack at best. Mazda continues to innovate here, Chevy is gobbling up sales in the segment, a new Focus is around the corner and we'll see a new Elantra sometime in the next few years. It's fiercely competitive, and Toyota basically said, "Hmm...ok, let's just do our thing and see where it gets us."
uh, Corolla is far more of an effort than your Rav4.... in every way possible.

What exactly do these cars have better than Corolla? Corolla is an leader in quite few areas.... Rav4 is NOT an leader in ANY area... it is sum of all parts.

For you to automatically dismiss Corolla it is kind of strange.
Old 09-05-13, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
Correct, introduced to NA in 2009, same generation of corolla sold around the world since 06 (japan) with the 2ZR engine.

Platform is the MC platform (came out in 2006 with the rav4) , which correct, is shared with the Prius, matrix, etc.

I will say the CVT is supposed to be one of the nicer CVTs.

@SPwolf, Mazda3 gets 40mpg with the AT, and HID headlights in certain trim.
I haven't found any numbers on cargo room alone for the 2014 corolla.
Mazda gets 40 MPG, Corolla gets 42 MPG.

Mazda wins? lol.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review