Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend holds World's Greatest Drag Race for the third time

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 11:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Motor Trend holds World's Greatest Drag Race for the third time

Motor Trend holds World's Greatest Drag Race for the third time

As part of Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car competition, the buff book has held its third iteration of the World's Greatest Drag Race. With an airfield and a dozen of the world's finest performance cars at its disposal (oh, and a helicopter), the MT team did what any good group of enthusiasts would do, and tried to figure what car could cover a quarter mile the quickest. World's greatest drag race, indeed.

The contestants, as MT points out, cover a huge variety of engine types, drivelines, aspiration types and body styles, making for a genuinely varied and interesting field of competitors. Here's the full list of cars taking part.

Aston Martin Vanquish
Audi R8 V10 Plus
Bentley Continental GT Speed
BMW M6 Coupe
Ford Focus ST
Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Mercedes-Benz E63S AMG Wagon
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series
Nissan GT-R Track
Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
Porsche Cayman S
SRT Viper

Quite a lineup. The group includes one previous winner, the Nissan GT-R, which took the original World's Greatest Drag Race, before being unseated by the Lamborghini Aventador last year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/23/m...e-three-video/
Old 08-24-13, 12:10 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Some pretty lame choices on that list . . .

Ford Focus ST .. . Where is the Shelby GT500 Mustang? That Focus ST won't even crack a 13 second et, LAME!!!!!!

Porsche Carrea 4S and Cayman??? WTF, if you're hell bent going fast in a straight line, you buy the 911 Turbo.

No Italian cars in there either. That new Maser Quattropottle is pretty fast. Really I'd love to see the V12 Ferrari F12 and the AWD FF in that comparo. 730hp v12, I'd think that would lay down some pretty impressive numbers.

And no Corvette. I know we're in kind of a weird time between models, but I'd still love to see what a ZR1 Vette would've done. Also either traction sucks at that runway or those guys don't know how to drive. That Viper should've been A LOT faster.
Old 08-24-13, 01:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

GTR !!!!!!! When I saw the line up I knew it was going to win. Even after 4 years it can still kick the *** of pretty much any car less than a quarter million
Old 08-24-13, 01:21 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Now do the worlds greatest Nurburgring race and see the LFA Nurburgring edition spank them all.
Old 08-24-13, 06:10 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR schooled them all but the Aventador should have been allowed to defend its title.
Old 08-24-13, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

"... brought to you, by Nissan"
Old 08-24-13, 09:24 AM
Stormwind
Racer

the sls black had bald worn out rear tires...probably the only reason it lost.
Old 08-24-13, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It is a shame the Aventador wasn't there as speedflex mentioned. They're gonna have to find a bigger runway for next year, imagine adding P1, 918 Spyder, LaFerrari, RC-F, M4, Vette/Z06/ZR1, 2015 Mustang all to the mix
Old 08-24-13, 05:41 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

They will definitely have C7 Corvette next year. And I agree that they should have brought a higher level 911 to the competition, like a Turbo or at least a GT3. Last year they had a BRZ in the test and this year a Focus ST, and I like that, so four cylinder cars also have a chance to appear in the race. Ferrari probably rejected MotorTrend's invitation once again........But I am still happy to see SRT Viper, M6, F-Type S and Aston Martin Vanquish here. One disappointment is that no black car among these twelve?

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 08-24-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 09:44 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dope video! def hope the lfa can make an appearance next round.
Old 08-24-13, 09:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Some pretty lame choices on that list . . .

Ford Focus ST .. . Where is the Shelby GT500 Mustang? That Focus ST won't even crack a 13 second et, LAME!!!!!!

Porsche Carrea 4S and Cayman??? WTF, if you're hell bent going fast in a straight line, you buy the 911 Turbo.

No Italian cars in there either. That new Maser Quattropottle is pretty fast. Really I'd love to see the V12 Ferrari F12 and the AWD FF in that comparo. 730hp v12, I'd think that would lay down some pretty impressive numbers.

And no Corvette. I know we're in kind of a weird time between models, but I'd still love to see what a ZR1 Vette would've done. Also either traction sucks at that runway or those guys don't know how to drive. That Viper should've been A LOT faster.
It is a interesting drag race but I agree, some choices don't make much sense, why have a Focus ST and not a Mustang for a drag race, why have a Cayman or Carrera 4s when there are faster 911's, 997 911 turbo's and GT3's would be more interesting, the turbo would be much quicker, no Ferrari 458(I saw one today, no Aventador, no Chevy Camaro/Corvette, no McLaren, etc. Would be nice to see if they got their hands on a Bugatti Veyron to easily beat them all.

GTR is simply amazing, congrats on another win.

Last edited by UDel; 08-24-13 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 10:34 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

fun to watch, no matter what.

wouldn't mind having any one of these in the garage.
Old 08-26-13, 09:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

GTR has to one of the greatest cars ever made...so ridiculously easy to drive fast King of the streets
Old 08-26-13, 09:53 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is a interesting drag race but I agree, some choices don't make much sense, why have a Focus ST and not a Mustang for a drag race, why have a Cayman or Carrera 4s when there are faster 911's, 997 911 turbo's and GT3's would be more interesting, the turbo would be much quicker, no Ferrari 458(I saw one today, no Aventador, no Chevy Camaro/Corvette, no McLaren, etc. Would be nice to see if they got their hands on a Bugatti Veyron to easily beat them all.

GTR is simply amazing, congrats on another win.
the choices werent there for the drag race...they were picked for the Best Driving comp. since they were all there...they decided to drag race em. the C4S won the best driving comp, btw...
Old 08-26-13, 12:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly, I'm most impressed with the E63 coming in JUST behind the Viper to round out the top 5. Nice work, MB.

I think it would be a tossup between the GTR and SLS AMG Black Series in a few more rounds...GTR is faster off the line, but the Merc pulls a lot of speed as the race wears on. Nice to see the R8 on the heels of the SLS AMG, too.

I'd like to have seen some others, like the Aventador, McLaren, Ferrari, etc.

For those mentioning LFA, I don't think it has a chance at winning, but I would like to see the Nurburgring edition compete

Quick Reply: Motor Trend holds World's Greatest Drag Race for the third time