Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice on buying a safe midsize car, awd pref in the $30K neighborhood.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 08:03 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying a safe midsize car, awd pref in the $30K neighborhood.

So, here's the scenario. We have a Honda Minivan, I have a Legacy wagon which I use as my winter beater. My wife has a MDX 130K miles which I think is fine, but she wants to get something 'new.'

We have a 14 year old who will be new driver in a year and a half and my wife wants to get something smaller than her MDX (ie. trade in her MDX for something for her daily driver, but maybe will be the part time car for our child in a year and a half).

I would prefer to have my child drive my 07 Legacy as it's fine, safe boring etc.. but it's a standard transmission and my wife doesn't want her to be driving a what will be 9-10 year old car.

I was thinking lets just get a no frills new Legacy sedan. But since my wife is going to be driving it as her DD, in place of her MDX, she doesn't care for anything base or no frills.

We prefer a AWD as we do get some winter weather here, and need to go to work in any weather (unless it's a total blizzard) but I mean we have to drive in ice and snow from time to time, I always use snow tires, and we are open to FWD cars, but we are preferring an AWD car if possible.

Has to be:
-new (not pre-owned)
-Safe
-AWD or FWD (awd preferred)
-Automatic tranny
-Midsize (not compact like the Golf or A4)
-in the neighborhood of $30K with leather, nav, Bluetooth, heated seats etc.. (could be more but prefer not greatly more, in other words nothing like the A6/A7).
-reliable / good reviews.

We only have started looking. I drove a Fusion Titanium AWD with all the options, it sticker was something like $38k but had laser cruise control and options I could do without, with discounts and minus some options I could probably find on in the $31-$32K range. This is the Titanium trim with the 240hp turbo engine which is quite strong, the only way you can get AWD in a Fusion. It was a very good size for me not too big not too small, I was not especially fond of the info-tainment SYNC system, which seems to be way over-done. I read that it's this feature is not much loved in the press.

We next drove a Legacy which was the 4 cylinder automatic CVT, this was not to my wife's liking. She thought it looked too economy or down market.

We looked at the Accord, didn't get a chance to drive since we just passed by, but I liked the new style, good size, good reputation for reliability. Has no AWD which is not a deal breaker but we prefer the AWD.

I completely didn't think to look at the Crosstour when we were at the Honda dealership. But later my wife asked me about that since it's AWD and midsize, but I don't know what to think of this car as it has been something of a sales flop from what I can tell.

I just wanted to get any advice from you guys to help me narrow down the search.

We prefer not to look at SUVs but it's possible that looking at AWD this may be our best bet.

Right now we are thinking more in line with mid size sedans, I believe the Avalon/Tarus class would be too large, we glanced at the Taurus it seemed way too big for what we want. I believe the Fusion was my pick for fun to drive, power but not sure if about Ford reliability or if it's SYNC system could be a nightmare or if that is just me looking to find a negative.

I was thinking of getting a new MDX, or A6, but we are shying away from the $40's and $50s and looking really in the $28K to $35K (real) price range.

thanks
Old 08-30-13, 08:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My top picks for luxuary, midsize, and awd are in this order:

1. IS350 AWD, you could probable score some smoking deals on the 2013 models

2. TL SH-AWD, hands down probably one of the best awd along wih the best reliability possible. Quite a nice luxary touch too...only problem is its quite ugly outside.

3. Q50 AWD. Reliable, decent looking, luxury, and brand new. Total package, except its not really the best of anything

I would also consider an audi or bmw, but you cant really get them for around 30k and reliability is questionable.
Old 08-30-13, 09:43 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by edgeucated
My top picks for luxuary, midsize, and awd are in this order:

1. IS350 AWD, you could probable score some smoking deals on the 2013 models

2. TL SH-AWD, hands down probably one of the best awd along wih the best reliability possible. Quite a nice luxary touch too...only problem is its quite ugly outside.

3. Q50 AWD. Reliable, decent looking, luxury, and brand new. Total package, except its not really the best of anything

I would also consider an audi or bmw, but you cant really get them for around 30k and reliability is questionable.
Problem is in the 30k range, those 3 are impossible. Your looking 40k sticker for a TL w/ nav, 42k for base IS, and Q50 is like $44k base. Look downmarket, upper trim level family sedans. If the Infinti G sedan is to your liking, maybe that? There are good deals to be had on those.
Old 08-31-13, 12:09 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a Venza with awd?
Old 08-31-13, 01:02 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

How about a Tsx? With all the added options you prefer and AWD it comes to $39k-ish. And I'm sure you can get it well under msrp.
Old 08-31-13, 01:17 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I kind of have to question your logic on the kid getting a newer model car or letting her drive your new car. Give her the oldest car in your fleet. So when she has some minor parking lot fender bender it really won't matter. Don't let her drive the new car unsupervised.

Go buy whatever your wife or you want in a new car, give the kid the old car. If she gets stranded on the side of the road, tell her to call you and go ****ing deal with it. Its part of growing up, I had an unreliable car when I was 16, you need to know what the heck to do when your car breaks down.

Your daughter needs to be put in that stranded on the side of the road situation, so when she's 25 or 30, out of college, and her old car breaks down(because she can't afford a new car under that mountain of student debt or that entry level $35,000 job), she knows how to handle it.

If you want AWD, safe, and boring, go buy the biggest Suburu you can for $30,000.
Old 08-31-13, 04:37 AM
rai
Lead Lap

thanks, the IS250 is probably too small for what I was looking.

I am thinking of the TL SH-AWD, while it's more than I wanted to spend.

This will be my wife's DD car, I think it's better to get something nice, she drives up to 30K miles a year. I figure, better to forget about the child's car, as I don't want her to be driving $40K luxury car, and wait for that time and look at a $22K Legacy in the future.
Old 08-31-13, 04:44 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I kind of have to question your logic on the kid getting a newer model car or letting her drive your new car. Give her the oldest car in your fleet. So when she has some minor parking lot fender bender it really won't matter.
Kind of my thinking about not getting this car as one for my daughter, but disagree with wanting her to experience breakdown un-reliable car. This is more problem for me.

BTW, it was not my idea at all. I think my wife's MDX is fine, paid off never a problem at all. Just my wife's idea she doesn't want to drive a car with 130K miles on it.

My new idea, probably will evolve just to get my wife a new car like the TL or something similar, but wait and get a cheap car when my daughter starts to drive. Or let he drive one our oldest cars like you said.

Last edited by rai; 08-31-13 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 07:51 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New TL for the wife
You keep the MDX for yourself
Give the boring /safe Legacy to your daughter.... She NEEDS to learn how to drive standard anyways. It makes you a better/more alert driver.

Good luck
Old 08-31-13, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Where have you been, rai? Welcome back. You haven't posted here for a LONG time.

For your criteria, disregard the Crosstour. AWD comes as an option only on the most expensive EX V6 model...a serious marketing error, IMO.

If you don't want a new Legacy, You can consider a 4-cylinder LE AWD Toyota Venza, which starts out right around 31K, and, if you can find one without a lot of options, may approach the 30K range out the door if the dealership is willing to discount some. Honda won't sell 4-cylinder Crosstours with the AWD like Subaru and Toyota will. One thing I don't care for on the Venza, though.....the four cylinder models come with large 19" wheels/tires that roughen up the ride, lack some pothole impact-protection, and are expensive to replace. The V6 models have even worse 20" ones.
Old 08-31-13, 08:42 AM
rai
Lead Lap

mmarshall, you are correct. Thanks for the advice. Last car we bought was a 11 Odyssey which we love, and have already put 77K miles on that (what).

I was really trying to lie low and just keep the car payments to a minimum etc. but for some reason my wife want something new. I can't say anything since my car was $70K and doesn't get driven near as much as her car does.

We are going out to look at Acura, she is kind of all over the place, may want to get another SUV and just get something later for our kids. Seems the idea of a nice car for her and a cheap car for the kids do not mesh. Like I say some times you need a different tool for different jobs, not always one car fits all needs which is why I keep my Legacy around for winter and it hardly ever gets driven.

Anyway thanks, will let you know what happens.
Old 08-31-13, 09:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, I would suggest CX-5 or Rav4 drive... it is not really an SUV, but normal sized raised car which is easy to drive and safe... 4cly have good fuel economy and their AWD systems are nice.
Old 08-31-13, 09:30 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volvo S60 T5 AWD, great car.
Old 08-31-13, 09:38 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The Infiniti G37AWD starts at $34k, but with the debut of the new Q50 I expect a great deal from the outgoing model. Why don't you and your wife go check one out? I think it looks very upscale and yet very sporty. That is, if you don't mind driving a car that has been around for 7 years.
Old 08-31-13, 09:57 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Volvo S60 T5 AWD, great car.
Agreed. Had it for a rental. They would a great car for a new driver. They can stop itself. When I pulled into a parking spot a bit fast the car thought I was going to hit the bush and braked itself. I would stay far form Audi. I had Audi A6 it was a great car for the first 4 years. Then became a nightmare, a money pit when off warranty. Ties with not very helpful dealers who run out of loaners or "say you never requested one." I would stay away. They also have a habit of of renting Kia Rio's as loaners when they run out. Not a snob, but I am sure you could rent a Corolla or Camry. A Rio is a bit of a kick in the face. Esp when I bought the car from you guys. Maybe you could look at BMW X1 albeit it would be a base model. Its not really a suv nor a sedan. I think the new Checy Impala has AWD to maybe? Consumer reports now rate it higher than Lexus LS and is the highest rated car they have tested!

ps. as you can tell I believe anything CR publishes. hah

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a safe midsize car, awd pref in the $30K neighborhood.