Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bangle urges auto design shakeup, says industry not innovating

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 06:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Bangle urges auto design shakeup, says industry not innovating

Bangle urges auto design shakeup, says industry not innovating

Controversial designer Chris Bangle, the man behind the notorious E65 BMW 7-Series "Bangle Butt," has some rather sharp criticism for the current crop of automotive designers in an upcoming full-length interview with Automotive News Europe. The preview, posted on Automotive News, details parts of the interview, with the always vocal Bangle lamenting the state of modern automotive design.

"Even concept cars today simply anticipate the next production model coming down the line. Is this innovation? No. And at the end of the day this is what's preventing car design from moving into a new era." Controversial as Bangle's design philosophy may be, we can't help but think he has a point. His so-called "flame surfacing" at BMW and other stylistic elements had a huge influence on modern automotive design, although as the years have passed, there hasn't been much innovation on the same scale.

Interestingly, Bangle also mentions that he's been courted by a few manufacturers that wanted to install the American as the head of their design teams. He's flatly rejected them, telling ANE, "It's not something you can do part time, you have to do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/30/b...ot-innovating/
Old 08-31-13, 10:44 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dammit.

I agree.
Old 08-31-13, 11:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree. When I watched the Jetsons as a kid it showed us flying in cars by 2010. Didnt happen.......weak...

I would agree that the concepts recently have been much closer to actual production units as opposed to the wild concepts that seemed more like pure design exercises . I think both are great but when you talk to a designer they are going to be a bit more critical. I like the ability to see more closely what's in the mail from each manufacturer.
Old 08-31-13, 11:57 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i totally agree. designers nowadays are playing safe. the last two innovations were the 2-tier center console pioneered by the Bangled 7 series and the LED DRL made famous by Audi 5 years ago.
Old 08-31-13, 01:40 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel car design is progressing nicely right now. There's actually quite a bit difference in cars in the last 10 years. Not dramatic but a good pace IMO. I think automakers are doing what customers want when it comes to laying real money down on a purchase. Lately, Nissan has experimented the most, but such cars aren't real sellers. Juke, Cube, Leaf, ect. are all pretty wild designs. Selling OK (leaf selling really slow more because it's electric) but would never be mainstream. Nissan is smart enough to design the Altima, Sentra, ect. on the side of conservatively to sell. Automakers survive building mainstream autos. Simple fact.

Not a fan of Bangle. IMO, most of his work wasn't that good. BMW got way better looking when he left head of design. In fact, the Bangle era was BMW's worse. Why would other automakers be asking for him?

And are we talking more fundamental design changes? Because such changes generally mean sacrificing practicality such as space and function. For example, in the mid-size sedan segment the Camry and Accord have the biggest and best back seats in the segment with the easiest access. That's because they have decided against sloping roof lines that everyone has gone to. Lots of people want this type of usefulness which is yet another reason tons of these two models sell. As nice and sleek as the Fusion, for example, looks, rear seat comfort and access is compromised.
Old 08-31-13, 02:11 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i totally agree. designers nowadays are playing safe. the last two innovations were the 2-tier center console pioneered by the Bangled 7 series and the LED DRL made famous by Audi 5 years ago.
You mean the Acura grille wasn't an innovation?!?!
Old 08-31-13, 02:26 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree. Change for the sake of change is pointless. There's nothing wrong with keeping a style around that people enjoy. Car design is an impure form of art, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-31-13, 02:30 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Coming from the guy who made the worst looking BMW ever to this day! Design moves at a certain pace for a reason. It changes slowly with the people who buy them. It may take 10-15 years before an actual model will changes its design language completely. Plus most manufactures are not willing to risk alienating a particular design vs. bringing in that beloved cash buy selling their mainstream bread-n-butters. Slow and steady is the safest route to take.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 09-03-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 04:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

hard to innovate when all these BS CAFE and crash standards regulations are basically dictating car design
Old 08-31-13, 04:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Innovations good but I really don't like Bangle
Old 08-31-13, 05:02 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

with how slow car sales are, its no surprise most automakers rather play it safe.
Old 08-31-13, 08:52 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Coming from the guy who made the worst looking BMW ever to this day! Design moves at a certain pace for a reason. It changes slowly with the people who buy them. It may take 10-15 years before an actual model will changes its design language completely. Plus most manufactures are not willing to risk alienating a particular design vs. bringing in that beloved cash buy selling there mainstream bread-n-butters. Slow and steady is the safest route to take.

His redesigned 7-Series was a massive sales success, and I'm not sure how the numbers compare to the current generation--but the E65 was the best selling 7-Series BMW built.
Old 08-31-13, 09:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 301 Posts

Bangle took what until then had been bland and safe BMW design to a whole new level. To do that at a company as conservative as BMW took some *****, and Chris had by far the biggest pair in the business.

Some also seem to forget that the E65 7 Series, with the supposed "Bangle Butt" was actually designed by Van Hooydonk when he worked for Bangle. Still, the vision and direction was all Bangles.

For me, the industry is a lot poorer without him. Most modern car design is bland, boring and beige. Bangle had the ***** to break the mould.
Old 09-02-13, 09:57 AM
LexFather

I used to not like him but he was way ahead of his time for our era. I agree with him. To think Lexus is pushing some styling boundaries tells you something.

They are still copying his styles... Amazing

Old 09-02-13, 11:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
with how slow car sales are, its no surprise most automakers rather play it safe.
car sales right now are not slow.

but about bangle... who does he work for these days? if no one, it's easy to be a critic from the sidelines.

Quick Reply: Bangle urges auto design shakeup, says industry not innovating