Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Rumored to be Readying Z5 Roadster and Coupe with Toyota, Z3 Said to Return

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 08:08 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMW Rumored to be Readying Z5 Roadster and Coupe with Toyota, Z3 Said to Return

The break down:
1. Midsize BMW/Toyota sports car will result in a new a Z5 for BMW and a Supra successor for Toyota.
2. Return of the Z3, and could lend to a second gen 86 for Toyota.
3. Front wheel drive Z1 will underpin a Mini platform.

Updated with new drawings.

An alleged BMW insider from the Bimmerpost forums is reporting that BMW's version of the new sports car project currently being co-developed with Toyota will be offered in two body styles, roadster and coupe, with both to wear the Z5 nameplate. The Z5 is said to be previewed by a concept model in the very near future.

The insider is forum member "Scott26" who often breaks BMW news on the forum – we don't know if his identity has been revealed, but we did find a thread on the site trying to find who he is, and whether he works for the Bavarian company, something his postings insinuate.

In the same report, Scott26 notes that BMW is working on a new front-wheel drive Z1 roadster based on the same UKL platform as the upcoming 1-Series GT and the next Mini (something we have heard before, albeit that report called the car the Z2), and the re-introduction of the Z3 moniker.

In detail, here's what Scott26 mentioned:

"Many within the company wishes for an M Z4 but unfortunately the market is small. It is possible to do a limited model like the 1 Series M Coupe but there is no decision to do this. There was the plan to absorb the Z4 iS into the M Performance line but this fell through in the final hour.

We will shortly be presenting our collaboration with Toyota for a new interpretation of a new highly focused sports car first as a concept. The production car will be called the Z5 which allows us to align a new UKL (FWD) based Z1 with equivalent MINI sports car along with a mid sized Z3 (the name is coming back) which again could be aligned with Toyota. Although for some markets Toyota might use Lexus branding.

The Z5 Roadster will feature exterior and interior design from BMW, as well as BMW engines. Toyota will supply optional hybrid technology and BMW will supply CFRP in its construction. A coupe will follow.

The new "Z" design is influenced by the Vision ConnectedDrive Concept Car

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/08/bmw...-roadster.html

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 03-02-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 09:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW working on Z5 Roadster with Toyota - report

To be previewed soon by a concept

A BMW insider has revealed the Bavarian marque will soon reveal a concept co-developed with Toyota which will pave the way for the Z5.

You probably remember at the beginning of the year BMW and Toyota announced a collaboration to work on a new sports car. Now, a source within BMW says pretty soon we will get to see a concept co-developed by the two companies which will serve as a preview for the rear-wheel drive Z5 Roadster.

BMW will be in charge of creating the exterior and interior design of the car which is said to take cues from the Vision ConnectedDrive concept. They will also supply the engines and implement carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) construction. As for Toyota, they will provide the optional hybrid technology.

The same source indicates a coupe will follow the roadster, along with Z1 and Z3 models using the UKL front-wheel drive platform which will be created in collaboration with Toyota. There were plans for an M version of the Z4 but the car was axed right before being green-lighted. However, BMW could launch a limited edition like they did with the 1-Series M Coupe.

Toyota might decide to sell these new models co-developed with BMW with the Lexus badge in select markets.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11308306...oyota---report

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 03-02-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 09:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Rumormill: BMW Z5 to share platform with Toyota Supra

Please Note: Photo is a Rendering

German newspaper Focus.de reports on a BMW Z5 that is said to share the same platform as the iconic Toyota Supra.

Last year, BMW and Toyota corporations announced a new partnership to expand their existing cooperation on EV battery R&D. The joint efforts will also include a future cooperation on fuel cells, powertrain electrification, CFRP production, and BMW-Toyota Sports Car. The Bavarians are said to benefit from the Japanese hybrid technology while Toyota will get to use some of BMW’s knowledge in diesel engines.

The co-built sports cars aim to bring a powerful successor to the BMW Z4 as well as to the Toyota Supra. From Japan comes support in the areas of electronics and hybridization while the engines will come from BMW.

The naming convention is yet to be set in stone, but some rumors say the Z5 name is in the pool of options. Toyota’s version of the car could be named Supra again.

The pure two-seater comes with a rear-wheel drive platform and for BMW it will be in a roadster form, while the Toyota will be sold as a coupe. Performance is said to be between 211 and 367 horsepower. In addition, a hybrid eDrive will be offered as well. Unlike current plug-in hybrids, the electric motor in the BMW-Toyota sports car is tuned for performance. The continuous power is 136 hp while the short-term power mode has 204 hp available, says the German outlet.

More information is expected to be released later this year.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/08/30/ru...-toyota-supra/
Old 08-30-13, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Super exciting news!! BMW and Toyota/Lexus together....what a dream

Old 08-30-13, 09:22 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

From what I'm reading it seems that the Z4 will be dropped.

BMW's Z line would be made up of the Z1, Z3, and Z5?
Old 08-30-13, 10:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

4 series and now a Z5.....I think BMW is gearing up for the obesity epidemic we have in the states.Same great cars just a bit bigger
Old 08-30-13, 01:45 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I'm thinking a bigger Z5 is need to take on the Mercedes SL.
Old 08-30-13, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

when you loom at the 3-4 series increase it didnt seem that small. Assuming a similar increase I dont know if it would be big enough. More like a E class convertible competitor .
Old 08-30-13, 03:02 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought the collaboration deal was originally for just one midsized coupe, but now there are gonna be two? The more the better of course!
Old 08-30-13, 03:15 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
when you loom at the 3-4 series increase it didnt seem that small. Assuming a similar increase I dont know if it would be big enough. More like a E class convertible competitor .
I was thought the 6-Series and E-Class coupe were competitors.
Old 08-30-13, 03:16 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I always thought the 6-Series and E-Class coupe were competitors.
Old 08-30-13, 03:32 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

Please Note: Photo is a Rendering
Rendering or not, that thing is FUGLY.

Though I'm more curious to see a render of the Z3 return. I always loved the Z3 body style, and the M version was just pure hot.
Old 08-30-13, 05:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Midsize BMW/Toyota sports car will result in a new a Z5 for BMW and a Supra successor for Toyota.
Works for me
Old 08-04-14, 12:37 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW spokesman confirms Z4 successor with a six-cylinder engine - report

Could be launched in 2017

After countless rumors, BMW Corporate and Governmental Affairs spokesman Kai Lichte has confirmed the jointly-developed BMW Toyota sports car will spawn a new BMW roadster.

Speaking with Motoring, Lichte said "The first car you will see on this platform of the sports car will be a classic six-cylinder BMW." The spokesman declined to confirm rumors of a hybrid variant but said "First of all, we will have the six-cylinder engine that's for sure. Everything else will be – might be – later."

Lichte also touched on the need of jointly-developing the model with Toyota by saying the "Z4 roadster segment is declining" so the company decided a joint architecture was the best way to increase profitability and ensure the model's survival.

Little else is known about the car itself but the website is reporting it will use a new turbocharged 3.0-liter petrol engine that will debut in the 2016 7-Series. Nothing is official but it is expected to produce approximately 340 PS (250 kW) and 440 Nm (324 lb-ft) of torque.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408047...a-six-cylinder
Old 08-04-14, 01:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently chatted with Mike quite a bit about this and have a personal theory about what we'll see play out. A few thoughts:

Toyota has said that they have a "three sports car strategy" with a model slotting below the GT86. That would most logically be some type of two seater roadster, as the GT86 is already quite small and has a barely usable backseat. BMW needs a replacement for the Z4. That market (two seat roadsters) is low volume and fickle, and designing these cars on their own bespoke platforms is making less and less financial sense.

I think we're going to see the BMW/Toyota partnership return a Z3/4 for BMW and create something along the lines of a spiritual successor to the MR2. Maybe not exactly mid-engine, rear wheel drive, but something compact and RWD for sure. From a product perspective, this also creates a wide spread for both companies with little worry about cross shopping - a Toyota that can be stripped down on options and offered with a 4 cylinder engine, costing possibly $20-$30k, and a BMW that can be optioned up and fitted with an I6 at the top end, priced from $50-70k. Very different markets for both automakers, but the ability to share resources, R&D, and costs on a part of the market that has become very costly.

I do NOT think we are going to see Toyota jointly develop the Supra through a partnership with BMW. Instead, I think we will see the Supra and SC/LF-LC share parts/platforms as they have in the past. I don't say this because I'm being nostalgic, I assume this to be the case for R&D and sharing of resources on what will be both brand's halo models. Why?

1) Supra is a midsize coupe, and I don't know how you could necessarily build out a 2+2 coupe on a platform that is supposed to be shared with an open top, two seat roadster, a la Z4. 4 Series is BMW's midsize coupe and that is based on the 3 Series. 6 Series is based on the 5/7 Series. There's little business case for BMW to share costs, engines, secrets or R&D with Toyota on a midsize-ish coupe platform.

2) I am hearing that the Supra will come with a TT 5.0L V8 at the top end - too much engine for a roadster platform, and conspicuously similar to what we've heard about the LF-LC/SC.

3) It makes sense for Toyota to share resources between the SC and Supra, as sharing platforms, engines, technology and drivetrains for these cars makes a better internal case than sharing parts with someone like BMW. I assume that we may get a reworked version of the (next gen?) GS/RC/IS platform - it's very good, there for the taking, and can already support the V6, hybrid and V8. I assume that Supra and SC will end up being similarly sized and offer similar engine configurations and transmissions.

4) Keep in mind that BMW and Toyota have agreed that their project will have nothing to do with Lexus, as that would be a competitive conflict for BMW. A Z4 fighter is very low on Lexus' radar, if it's even on there at all. The SC is their next big thing, just as the Supra is for Toyota.

5) "Halo effect". The Supra will obviously become the performance halo model for Toyota, and with the LFA gone, the SC F is poised to assume that title for Lexus. These are huge projects for both brands and I don't think they're going to want anyone else's name on them.

Quick Reply: BMW Rumored to be Readying Z5 Roadster and Coupe with Toyota, Z3 Said to Return