Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Rumored to be Readying Z5 Roadster and Coupe with Toyota, Z3 Said to Return

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 03:51 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 BMW Z5 gets rendered

Slated to be the first sports car jointly developed by BMW & Toyota

The jointly-developed BMW and Toyota sports car is inching closer to production so our artists have created a rendering of what the model could look like.

Expected to be a Z4 successor, the rendering depicts a stylish coupe with an aggressive front fascia and a twin-kidney grille that is flanked by sweptback headlights. Moving further back, we can see a long hood and a rakish windscreen that meets a double bubble roof.

BMW and Toyota have been tight-lipped about specifications but previous reports have suggested the model could use a carbon fiber tub similar to the i3 and i8. There have also been rumors that the car will eschew the retractable hardtop and adopt a conventional soft top. If that doesn't float your boat, there have also been whispers about a coupe variant.

Engine options remain unconfirmed but the car could be offered with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that has outputs of 190 bhp (141 kW), 245 bhp (182 kW) and 270 bhp (201 kW). There's could also be a high-performance Z5 M which could use a turbocharged six-cylinder engine with roughly 425 bhp (317 kW).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11410278...-gets-rendered
Old 10-31-14, 04:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sleek render with some Supra in the rear
Old 11-01-14, 12:12 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I recently chatted with Mike quite a bit about this and have a personal theory about what we'll see play out. A few thoughts:

Toyota has said that they have a "three sports car strategy" with a model slotting below the GT86. That would most logically be some type of two seater roadster, as the GT86 is already quite small and has a barely usable backseat. BMW needs a replacement for the Z4. That market (two seat roadsters) is low volume and fickle, and designing these cars on their own bespoke platforms is making less and less financial sense.

I think we're going to see the BMW/Toyota partnership return a Z3/4 for BMW and create something along the lines of a spiritual successor to the MR2. Maybe not exactly mid-engine, rear wheel drive, but something compact and RWD for sure. From a product perspective, this also creates a wide spread for both companies with little worry about cross shopping - a Toyota that can be stripped down on options and offered with a 4 cylinder engine, costing possibly $20-$30k, and a BMW that can be optioned up and fitted with an I6 at the top end, priced from $50-70k. Very different markets for both automakers, but the ability to share resources, R&D, and costs on a part of the market that has become very costly.

I do NOT think we are going to see Toyota jointly develop the Supra through a partnership with BMW. Instead, I think we will see the Supra and SC/LF-LC share parts/platforms as they have in the past. I don't say this because I'm being nostalgic, I assume this to be the case for R&D and sharing of resources on what will be both brand's halo models. Why?

1) Supra is a midsize coupe, and I don't know how you could necessarily build out a 2+2 coupe on a platform that is supposed to be shared with an open top, two seat roadster, a la Z4. 4 Series is BMW's midsize coupe and that is based on the 3 Series. 6 Series is based on the 5/7 Series. There's little business case for BMW to share costs, engines, secrets or R&D with Toyota on a midsize-ish coupe platform.

2) I am hearing that the Supra will come with a TT 5.0L V8 at the top end - too much engine for a roadster platform, and conspicuously similar to what we've heard about the LF-LC/SC.

3) It makes sense for Toyota to share resources between the SC and Supra, as sharing platforms, engines, technology and drivetrains for these cars makes a better internal case than sharing parts with someone like BMW. I assume that we may get a reworked version of the (next gen?) GS/RC/IS platform - it's very good, there for the taking, and can already support the V6, hybrid and V8. I assume that Supra and SC will end up being similarly sized and offer similar engine configurations and transmissions.

4) Keep in mind that BMW and Toyota have agreed that their project will have nothing to do with Lexus, as that would be a competitive conflict for BMW. A Z4 fighter is very low on Lexus' radar, if it's even on there at all. The SC is their next big thing, just as the Supra is for Toyota.

5) "Halo effect". The Supra will obviously become the performance halo model for Toyota, and with the LFA gone, the SC F is poised to assume that title for Lexus. These are huge projects for both brands and I don't think they're going to want anyone else's name on them.
I agree, well said
Old 11-01-14, 07:51 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If these cars, both Z5 and Supra don't get transaxle transmission, they'll not be competitive.
Old 12-15-14, 12:18 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mysterious BMW spied, is it a mule for the Z5?

Click here to view more photos

More questions than answers

A mysterious BMW prototype has been spied undergoing testing in Germany.

While our spies are normally pretty good at knowing what they see, they're a little stumped by this particular prototype. All outward appearances suggest the car is simply a 2-Series Coupe but a closer inspection reveals the model has a shortened wheelbase, a lowered roof and a smaller windscreen. We can also see a carbon fiber roof, hood and rear spoiler.

These modifications suggest the prototype is a mule for a high-performance model with a short wheelbase. Nothing is official but the natural candidate is the highly-anticipated Z5 which will be jointly developed with Toyota.
Regardless of what it is, the test driver was pretty peeved to be caught on camera.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412158...ule-for-the-z5
Old 12-23-14, 06:07 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Rumor Says BMW is Readiying FWD Z1, New Z3 Based on Next Toyota GT86 and Z5

You’ve definitely heard this before: it’s a rumor about a possible BMW Z1, a sporty model based on the same FWD underpinnings as the MINI. What is new here is the possibility of a revived Z3 model which would allegedly share its underpinnings with the next Toyota GT86.

The information comes from Motor.es and it highlights the possible appearance of no less than three new Z-cars. Aside from the two mentioned in the opening paragraph, the report says there’s also a Z5 on the way and suggests it could be the model BMW and Toyota were collaborating on (also a possible base for the next Supra).

This new Z5 would replace the Z4 moniker altogether and it would feature a carbon tub not too dissimilar to the one the i8 uses. The source suggests it could have upward of 400 hp and even a flagship hybrid version too.

Don’t take any of this without a grain of salt, though, as it doesn’t strike us as the most accurate of rumors – it sounds a bit like something you’d be able to come up with if you’d studied past rumors, BMW’s current lineup and direction, as well as the company’s known tie-ups with other companies. It would be nice to materialize, particularly the prospect of a new Z3 (which they say will borrow styling elements from the 328 Hommage concept pictured below), but we’ll have to wait and see.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/rum...wd-z1-new.html
Old 12-23-14, 08:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The MINI Roadster didn't sell well. The Z1 may be DOA.

The Z3 would be a nice niche vehicle like the Miata. This may be more of an enthusiasts' car.

The Z5 surely has a lot of potential. It can be a "grown up" GT roadster such as the current Z4, or it can be an true sports coupe in the likes of a 911 or Supra.

Part of me thinks that the Z3 will be more of a purist sports car than the Z5, the latter being more GT. Otherwise, they'll be the same car with different wheelbases, perhaps an extra two seats in the back of the Z5.
Old 12-23-14, 05:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

If a Z-series is offered for 40k nicely equipped, it may be my first Bimmer. Always liked the Z3/4, miracles can happen.
Old 12-23-14, 09:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The MINI Roadster didn't sell well. The Z1 may be DOA.

The Z3 would be a nice niche vehicle like the Miata. This may be more of an enthusiasts' car.

The Z5 surely has a lot of potential. It can be a "grown up" GT roadster such as the current Z4, or it can be an true sports coupe in the likes of a 911 or Supra.

Part of me thinks that the Z3 will be more of a purist sports car than the Z5, the latter being more GT. Otherwise, they'll be the same car with different wheelbases, perhaps an extra two seats in the back of the Z5.
I wonder if new GT86 will be all Toyota... since their new global platform is specifically designed to be low gravity and suitable for cars like this.

Since Z5 is going to be using very light i8 chassis, it will end up being pretty pure itself... if thats true of course.

i8 with M3 engine would be enthusiast dream come true... RC-F engine would be even better :-)
Old 02-19-15, 05:55 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW Z5 digitally imagined

Developed in collaboration with Toyota

The rumored BMW Z5 has been rendered ahead of an expected market launch sometime in 2017.

It will likely serve as a successor for the Z4 and is being developed in collaboration with Toyota who back in November last year told Bloomberg the technical feasibility study has been "successfully completed" which means the car is now in the conceptual phase. According to the latest gossip, it will benefit from a carbon fiber tub derived from the i3 & i8 duo and should adopt a soft top but a coupe derivative could also be in the works.

It is believed the BMW Z5 will be offered with a four-cylinder 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine developing 190 bhp (141 kW), 245 bhp (182 kW) and 270 bhp (201 kW) while a range-topping Z5 M is expected to get 425 bhp (317 kW) from a turbocharged six-cylinder motor.
Needless to say, there will also be a Toyota version of the car which will reportedly cost more than a 2015MY Corvette ($54,995).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502198...tally-imagined
Old 02-19-15, 05:18 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't mind if the "Z5" looked like this!

New BMW M GT Design Concept: Thoughts?

Does BMW need another sports coupe in its range?

That's probably too general of a question to answer with a simple yes or a no, as it doesn’t specify the size of the car, pricing and where exactly would the engine be mounted.

That brings us to the BMW M GT design study made by Idries Noah. The South African automotive designer sent us this rendering with the note "thought you guys might find this interesting…", which we certainly do, but he didn't give us any other intel on the car and what was the idea behind its creation.

Obviously, the engine is mounted up front, so depending on how big it is, it could be a draft for a 6-Series replacement or perhaps something more upscale, like a Mercedes-AMG GT competitor.

Take a look at it and give us your two cents.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/new...-thoughts.html
Old 02-19-15, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

Agreed that is stunning. This is what the i8 should have looked like. I like the name BMW M GT even though that is a straight rip from Mercedes AMG GT

All this needs is a Bi-Turbo V10
Old 02-19-15, 09:37 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
All this needs is a Bi-Turbo V10
Nah, in true current BMW fashion, it'll get a 3 cylinder from a mini with some electric motors and a turbo
Old 02-20-15, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jwong77
Nah, in true current BMW fashion, it'll get a 3 cylinder from a mini with some electric motors and a turbo
Sadly you're correct.

That render is drop dead gorgeous though
Old 03-02-15, 10:28 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW Z5 Rendered, Looks Close to the Real Deal

In a rather interesting new post, usual whistleblower Scott26 who seems to be well tapped into the BMW headquarters in Munich, posted a new rendering that, he claims, looks really close to the production version an upcoming 'Z6' model that is basically a coupe version of the Z5 Roadster.

That’s right, BMW is working on a new range of Z models that would allow customers to have a wider choice in between them and get a car that fits their needs better. Considering the recent offensive in all sorts of new niches and segments the Germans have gone through, such a move would make sense, especially since the Z4 is a badly overlooked car.

The new Zs will be using the platform developed in conjunction with Toyota, that will be making its future Supra model on it as well, bringing a rather exciting end to a partnership that expanded over a quite generous amount of time.

There are a number of directions in which BMW is rumored to go in the near future. We already saw a 2 Series mule out testing a Z3 platform underneath it, one that showed a smaller wheelbase and a lower roof of what we think will be a new, smaller model in the range.

Basically, the Bavarians will offer both a Z5 and Z3 but they will keep in touch with the recent naming scheme employed. That means these two will be convertible models while the Z2 and Z6 will be coupes that are supposed to be lighter on their feet and, therefore, even better to drive.

In their construction, BMW will be using all their latest technologies, including CFRP by the handful and other lightweight materials such as aluminum and magnesium. The engines will be part of the B family, ranging from 3-cylinder 1.5-liter ones to 3-liter 6-cylinder inline turbocharged plants that are capable of well over 400 HP.

That bring us to the rumor that the Coupe version of the Z5 could be aiming more directly at Porsche, looking to take on the legendary company that is still heralded as a reference point in handling and driving feel. With a weight of under 1,300 kg (2,866 lbs) and around 500 HP we could see this rumored model (if the M division steps in as well, of course) as a really interesting choice.

Furthermore, considering that Toyota has some hybrid know-how to offer, we could envision a future in which the Z5 and Z6 and whatever other new car BMW wants to offer under the Z moniker use both petrol and electric motors.

In this case, the approach would be different, going for a smaller internal combustion engine (1.5- or 2-liter) that would be synchronized to an electric motor with the total power output being closer to what a 3-liter unit would be capable of. Of course, this would have considerably lower CO2 emissions and better mpg all around.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...al-92637.html#

Quick Reply: BMW Rumored to be Readying Z5 Roadster and Coupe with Toyota, Z3 Said to Return