Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

KBB 2013 Top 10 Best Resale Value Awards

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 06:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default KBB 2013 Top 10 Best Resale Value Awards

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-res...65129382163300

Including four models projected to retain more than half their original value after five years on the road, here are this year’s Top 10 Best Resale Value Award winners. The list is dominated by SUVs as usual, but two cars makes twice as many as last year.

#1: 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The Toyota FJ Cruiser manages to be both more pleasant and more rugged than one might guess, and offers better predicted resale value than any other 2013 model.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 76.0%
at 60 months: 63.0%

#2: 2013 Toyota Tacoma
A 10-time Best Resale Value Award winner, the Toyota Tacoma is both the resale value and sales leader of the competitive mid-size pickup segment.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 70.3%
at 60 months: 57.0%

#3: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Today’s Jeep Wrangler is the most comfortable, most capable model in the long history of the icon, and a resale value standout.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 67.6%
at 60 months: 55.4%

#4: 2013 Honda CR-V

Fresh off a complete redesign for 2012, the Honda CR-V took the top spot in our most recent compact SUV comparison test.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 64.7%
at 60 months: 50.7%

#5: 2013 Toyota 4Runner
As car-like crossovers continue to displace truck-based SUVs, the venerable and capable Toyota 4Runner is regaining its specialness.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 66.7%
at 60 months: 49.0%

#6: 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser
A unique combination of mainstream badge and premium amenities, the Toyota Land Cruiser is the most storied, most luxurious and priciest vehicle in the Toyota lineup.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 62.0%
at 60 months: 49.0%

#7: 2013 Porsche Cayenne
Once feared by purists to be a harbinger of bad things for the brand, the Porsche Cayenne is now the best-selling Porsche in the U.S.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 67.0%
at 60 months: 47.3%

#8: 2013 Lexus LX
The Lexus LX is essentially a more richly appointed Toyota Land Cruiser with a fancier badge and a more revered dealer network.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 65.0%
at 60 months: 47.0%

#9: 2013 Honda Civic
In the face of stiffer competition than ever, the Honda Civic remains the well-rounded entry against which all other compact sedans are measured.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 62.5%
at 60 months: 46.9%

#10: 2013 Scion tC
A small two-door with a surprisingly roomy backseat, the Scion tC is the sporty, affordable coupe preferred by more backseat drivers.
Resale Value
at 36 months: 60.0%
at 60 months: 46.5%
Old 08-30-13, 07:23 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 of the top 10 are Toyota/Lexus/Scion products...impressive!
Old 08-30-13, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

What's interesting is that four out of the top five are rugged off-road-capable (assuming the Tacoma has 4WD), despite the fact that few SUV owners today, outside of the Jeep Wrangler, actually GO off-road. I suspect that a lot of people want these vehicles simply for the image they project. It shouldn't be that way, but image is often a powerful factor in vehicle-purchase decisions, especially for people who don't really think about what they are doing, but are simply trying to impress someone or keep up with the Joneses.
Old 08-30-13, 02:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

very very impressive. Just one o of many reason to stick with the Japanese brands. For me its Lexus all the way!!
Old 08-30-13, 02:59 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's interesting is that four out of the top five are rugged off-road-capable (assuming the Tacoma has 4WD)...
Since both the CR-V and RAV4 are car-based, I'd say only 3 out of the top 5 are rugged off-road-capable, though I agree with the rest of your points.

EDIT: Sorry I mistook the 4Runner as the RAV4.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-30-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-30-13, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

GO AWAY FJ! (soon enough)

Love the Cayenne! (the new one not the frumpy fat first gen)
Old 08-30-13, 05:26 PM
xioix
Racer

What's interesting is that four out of the top five are rugged off-road-capable (assuming the Tacoma has 4WD), despite the fact that few SUV owners today, outside of the Jeep Wrangler, actually GO off-road. I suspect that a lot of people want these vehicles simply for the image they project. It shouldn't be that way, but image is often a powerful factor in vehicle-purchase decisions, especially for people who don't really think about what they are doing, but are simply trying to impress someone or keep up with the Joneses.
The percentage of owners who go off road is probably higher with the FJ than the Wrangler
Old 08-30-13, 06:11 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xioix
The percentage of owners who go off road is probably higher with the FJ than the Wrangler
I don't know where you got that info from, but I highly doubt it. 4 of my co-workers have wranglers and routinely take them off roading. Good sized jeep forums, and times I've gone on rides with them not FJ or Xterra in sight
Old 08-30-13, 07:46 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GO AWAY FJ! (soon enough)

Love the Cayenne! (the new one not the frumpy fat first gen)
I actually like the first gen better lol. New one looks a bit softer imo
Old 08-31-13, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
Since both the CR-V and RAV4 are car-based, I'd say only 3 out of the top 5 are rugged off-road-capable, though I agree with the rest of your points.

EDIT: Sorry I mistook the 4Runner as the RAV4.
Yes...as I understand it, 4Runners are still truck-based/body-on-frame, as they have been for decades.
Old 08-31-13, 09:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand why cheap, pedestrian cars such as Scion or Civic are worth so much on the used market. These flimsy, cheaply made econoboxes just don't last, and after five years they are virtually done with, and its beyond me why anyone buys them at these prices. If you combine maintenance and repair costs, and combine it with continuing depreciation - they end up costing you about the same amount of $ per year as when they were brand new. But yet you'll be driving a miserable, tired, faded car with a bunch of rattles and squeaks, loose suspension, dull paint, stinky AC, air ducts that are filled with dust which cause the cabin to always be full of dust as well, dried out weather seals that render useless whatever little noise insulation the car had when it was new, and so on. These cars should be avoided like anthrax, especially when you consider the potential for major mechanical problems and hidden body work.
Old 08-31-13, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't understand why cheap, pedestrian cars such as Scion or Civic are worth so much on the used market. These flimsy, cheaply made econoboxes just don't last,
The Civic actually got the excellent reputation it did by having some of her best reliability in the American market. The Scion tC, I agree, has a super-cheap interior...as did the 2012 Civic before it was emergency-upgraded for this year. But both cars have been well-above average in reliability, accodring to Consumer reports.
Old 08-31-13, 09:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

The Civic actually got the reputation it did by having some of her best reliability in the American market. The iQ, though uncomfortable and (IMO) too small for American roads, is also well above average in reliability.
Reliability is not the same as longevity. Civic and Corollas might be reliable in the sense that they rarely have mechanical failure that disable them, but they do get old very fast. These cars are usually constructed with flimsy light gauge sheet metal, use undersized suspension components that get loose very fast and are easily kicked out of alignment, have cheap interior plastics that scratch up and fade out, cheap cloth and carpeting that fades and wears out, minimal rubber seals that dry out and deform quickly, no AC filter (let alone carbon activated one).

Financially it just doesn't make sense to buy these cars used at these problems. You can lease cars of this class for about $2000 a year total cost, and a 5 year old car of this class isn't going to cost you much less than that when you combine repairs and future depreciation. Even if you do save $500 a year - is it worth it?
Old 08-31-13, 10:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Here's an example

A brand new Civic LX is $18,965 according to Honda's website.

According to KBB, in my area used pricing is as follows;

A private party sale price for 2008 Civic LX with 60k miles in good condition: $9,874

A private party sale price for 2008 Civic LX with 60k miles in good condition: $4,118

So if you buy the Civic brand new, you will lose about $9,000 of its value during the first five years, which is just under $2k per year. During these five years its still covered by warranty, and you likely won't spend a dime on repairs, besides normal maintenance items such as brakes, tires, oil changes and battery.

If you buy a 5 year old civic, during the next five years you will lose about $5700 just in depreciation. Thats only $3300 less in depreciation vs a brand new model, which translates to only $660 a year. And at this point you will have to invest money into repairs, the car will burn more gas because its EFI system and engine is no longer as efficient as it once was, and you're stuck driving a tired car, and if you get into an accident its going to become completely worthless. Not to mention that you'll probably also spend a considerable amount of money on accessories and electronics such as phone interface, audio and GPS - because the 5 year old ones that the car came with are too outdated to be useful, and not compatible with current gadgets.

One has to be really bad in math to buy used cars such as the Civic. It makes the most sense to lease these disposable econoboxes - for roughly $2k a year with zero worries.
Old 08-31-13, 10:42 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rkyat
I actually like the first gen better lol. New one looks a bit softer imo
I just like how much more athletic the car looks in its 2nd gen. Not to mention 400 lbs of weight loss

Quick Reply: KBB 2013 Top 10 Best Resale Value Awards