Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Men prefer luxury brands, women favor imports when shopping for new cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 11:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Men prefer luxury brands, women favor imports when shopping for new cars

Men prefer luxury brands, women favor imports when shopping for new cars

Guys like luxury, and women like imports when it comes to new-car buying, according to a study by Kelley Blue Book. Five out of the 10 brands men were most likely to shop for were domestic, with Lincoln topping the charts. Men are 174 percent more likely to shop for the American luxury brand than women. On the other hand, of the 10 brands women are most likely to shop for, only one – Dodge – was domestic. Women are also 119 percent more likely to search for Volvo than their male counterparts.

The reasons range from pragmatic to idealistic. When considering KBB research that shows 76 percent of women look for safety features in their next new car, it makes sense that they would shop for Volvos, which are commonly regarded as being incredibly safe vehicles. On the same note, 61 percent of men look for safety in their next vehicle, but Volvo still didn't appear in the men's list. That's not to say Lincolns aren't safe (they also perform well in crash tests), but KBB reports that older men gravitate toward Lincoln because that's what they grew up with.

Men also place more weight on exterior styling and much less on affordability and fuel efficiency than women, which helps to explain why Audi and Jaguar found their way into the second and third spots on the men's list. The same goes for Infiniti and Fiat for women, which came in second and third on their list.

Male New-Car Shoppers Prefer Luxury Automakers While Females Favor Import Brands, Reports Kelley Blue Book

Men More Likely To Consider Lincoln, Women Prefer Volvo According to KBB.com

IRVINE, Calif., Aug. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- When it comes to buying a new car, men and women have different car shopping characteristics according to Kelley Blue Book www.kbb.com, the leading provider of new and used car information. Research from Kelley Blue Book Market Intelligence based on KBB.com traffic and survey data of more than 13,000 U.S. adults show men are more likely to consider a vehicle from domestic American manufacturers or European luxury brands, while female new-car shoppers are more likely to consider a vehicle from an import automaker.

Traffic data from KBB.com reveals men are 174 percent more likely to shop for a new Lincoln model compared to women on the site. On the other hand, women are 119 percent more likely to shop for a new Volvo model compared to men.

"Like comparing apples to oranges, men and women have different factors of importance when choosing a vehicle, influencing their brand research based on qualities that matter the most to them," said Diana Duque-Miranda, senior manager for Kelley Blue Book Market Intelligence. "For instance, older men gravitate toward Lincoln as many of them grew up with the long-standing automaker as an aspirational brand. Conversely, more women are attracted to Volvo than male shoppers, and more likely to consider Asian manufacturers like Honda, Acura and Nissan that are traditionally known for high safety ratings, as KBB.com research shows 76 percent of women look for safety features in their next new-vehicle purchase compared to 61 percent of men1."

Top 10 Brands among Male New-Car Shoppers

Make: Increased Likelihood of Men to Shop the Brand Compared to Women on KBB.com*

Lincoln: 174%
Audi: 147%
Jaguar: 128%
Scion: 128%
Cadillac: 119%
Chrysler: 106%
Buick: 96%
Mercedes-Benz: 37%
Smart: 37%
GMC: 30%

*Data sourced from KBB.com January 2013 – June 2013.

"Brands with a rich heritage, such as Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz, tend to draw the attention of older men more than younger men or even women," said Arthur Henry, manager of Kelley Blue Book Market Intelligence. "Brands that promote themselves as being 'rugged' tend to draw the interest of men of all ages, as 28 percent of men are more likely to shop for a new vehicle that have this factor compared to 19 percent of women1. For example, GMC attracts those who work in manual labor industries, including construction."

Furthermore, 33 percent of men are more likely to place greater importance on exterior styling compared to 26 percent of women1, as significantly more men research the brands that are known for bold styling like Audi and Jaguar.

Top 10 Brands among Female New-Car Shoppers

Make: Increased Likelihood of Women to Shop the Brand Compared to Men on KBB.com*

Volvo: 119%
Infiniti: 97%
FIAT: 82%
Acura: 61%
Nissan: 57%
Mitsubishi: 46%
Honda: 37%
Dodge: 23%
Kia: 19%
Mazda: 16%

*Data sourced from KBB.com January 2013 – June 2013 .

"Women car shoppers are much more financially conscious than men, as 72 percent of women are more likely to consider affordability in their next purchase compared to 50 percent of men1," said Miranda. "Women are more likely to consider a brand known for value compared to men new-car shoppers, which translates to more women shopping Honda, Kia and Mazda for more bang for their buck."

In addition to factors like safety and affordability, 67 percent of women are more likely to consider a fuel-efficient vehicle compared to 48 percent of men.1 Subsequently, women are more likely to consider fuel-efficient brands like FIAT, Acura, Nissan, Honda, Kia and Mazda compared to men shoppers.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/26/m...opping-habits/
Old 08-27-13, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Guys like luxury, and women like imports when it comes to new-car buying, according to a study by Kelley Blue Book. Five out of the 10 brands men were most likely to shop for were domestic, with Lincoln topping the charts. Men are 174 percent more likely to shop for the American luxury brand than women.
Not sure what the reason for this is, but it may (?) be because men tend to be in high-level positions which have chauffer-driven limos more than women do. Until very recently, Lincoln made the perfect car for that......the Town Car.

Women are also 119 percent more likely to search for Volvo than their male counterparts.
This one seems a no-brainer. Women, traditionally, are more safety-conscious than men are, especially if regularly hauling kids around. Provided they have the cash for it, that naturally tends to draw them to Volvo and Mercedes....the two brands with the best reputation for safety-engineering.

Men also place more weight on exterior styling and much less on affordability and fuel efficiency than women
I have to agree, especially for younger men....some of which, IMO, are unreasonably biased against what they consider to be a "Grandpa" or "Old Man's" car. I usually don't hear as many "Grandpa" comments about cars from women or girls, especially as they get out of their teenage years and mature some.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/26/m...opping-habits/[/QUOTE]
Old 08-27-13, 01:35 PM
Hoovey689

Lincoln: 174%
Audi: 147%
Jaguar: 128%
Scion: 128%
Cadillac: 119%
Chrysler: 106%
Buick: 96%
Mercedes-Benz: 37%
Smart: 37%
GMC: 30%
I typically haven't seen men in Smarts when I cross upon them
Old 08-27-13, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I typically haven't seen men in Smarts when I cross upon them
Smarts, IMO, are simply too small for almost all American roads and driving conditions outside of some inner-city-cores. Most men and women both realize that.

I just wonder, BTW, where BMW would fit in on this list. Again, I generally don't believe in stereotypes, but BMW sedans and coupes, particularly the 3-series, seem to be an icon for sport-minded males. It also begs the question of where VW would be (it isn't shown in the article, either), as VW has had an unfair (and possibly inaccurate) reputation for being a female "Chick" brand.
Old 08-28-13, 07:28 AM
LexFather

Make: Increased Likelihood of Women to Shop the Brand Compared to Men on KBB.com*

Volvo: 119%
Infiniti: 97%
FIAT: 82%
Acura: 61%
Nissan: 57%
Mitsubishi: 46%
Honda: 37%
Dodge: 23%
Kia: 19%
Mazda: 16%

"Women car shoppers are much more financially conscious than men, as 72 percent of women are more likely to consider affordability in their next purchase compared to 50 percent of men1," said Miranda. "Women are more likely to consider a brand known for value compared to men new-car shoppers, which translates to more women shopping Honda, Kia and Mazda for more bang for their buck."
Seems about right

Old 08-28-13, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Smarts, IMO, are simply too small for almost all American roads and driving conditions outside of some inner-city-cores. Most men and women both realize that.

I just wonder, BTW, where BMW would fit in on this list. Again, I generally don't believe in stereotypes, but BMW sedans and coupes, particularly the 3-series, seem to be an icon for sport-minded males. It also begs the question of where VW would be (it isn't shown in the article, either), as VW has had an unfair (and possibly inaccurate) reputation for being a female "Chick" brand.
You wouldn't believe how many females in my area drive a 328i Convertible
Old 08-28-13, 02:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You wouldn't believe how many females in my area drive a 328i Convertible
yup ....its a girls car. The mans 3 series is the 335.
Old 08-28-13, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
yup ....its a girls car. The mans 3 series is the 335.
Real men buy M, boys buy the 335i