Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: BMW X4

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 12:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: BMW X4

BMW X4

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x...#photo-850295/

Except for the fancy wheels and the overly expressive fascias, the production version of the BMW X4 looks like it will carry over practically untouched from what we saw in the X4 Concept several months back. With the same fastback roofline as the concept, these spy shots show that the X4 is taking shape to be a baby version of the BMW X6.

Sharing the same platform as the X3, the lower and wider X4 will be positioned slightly more upmarket – as is the case with the X5 and X6. We hear that this could mean that the X4 will ditch the X3's base engine to give an even sportier feel right out of the gate, but word has it that an M version will being showing up down the road as well.

BMW has already revealed what it plans to show off at the Frankfurt Motor Show (i3, 4 Series Coupe, next-gen X5, refreshed 5 Series, X5 Concept eDrive plug-in hybrid and Concept Active Tourer Outdoor), so barring any surprised we definitely won't be seeing the X4 there. At this point, with as close to production as these images would have us believe, our best guess would be that we'll see the X4's official unveiling happen either at LA or Detroit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/23/b...-game-germany/
Old 08-27-13, 01:58 PM
Hoovey689

Oh good, the GLA has a friend
Old 08-28-13, 02:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I knew this was coming. I am amazed by the amount of models BMW and Mercedes have and how many they are adding. Lexus needs to pick it up.
Old 08-28-13, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

They really pace the market and fill every niche. It'd be nice if American and Japanese makes did the same
Old 02-21-14, 07:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scoop: New BMW X4, Now with 5 Percent Less Camouflage!

Have you ever wondered why we have so many scoop shots of German automobiles? Well, duh; they are dominating the market with a constant flow of new models. True, but I think that they want us to see their cars as well, as the clever Germans know that they're gaining free publicity and stirring up interest.

How else would you explain the fact that, they slowly peel off the camo on their cars as we approach the unveiling dates? That said, the main difference between these new shots of the BMW X4 and the ones we showed you back in late October last year is the shedding of most of the twirl-themed wrap on the front bumper.

The new X3-based crossover addition to BMW's range will appear in its final production form this year, if not in Geneva, at one of the following international auto shows in the coming months.

You'll get the same powertrain lineup as in the X3, paying a premium in price and rear passenger space.

I'll end this post with a note to all of you who checked out one of our reader's BMW spy shots in Colorado last night: the easiest way to tell apart the smaller X4 from the larger next generation X6 in prototype form aren’t the door handles, but the hood.

To elaborate, whereas the X4's bonnet has two concave surfaces in the middle and it lays flat on the front fenders when viewed from the side, the new X6's hood is more bulbous and curves down to meet the fenders.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/02/sco...5-percent.html
Old 02-21-14, 07:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure I saw an X4 prototype in midtown Atlanta two weeks ago - smaller X6, covered in this exact type of "swirl" camouflage. From what I could tell...it looked exactly like what you would expect.
Old 02-21-14, 09:01 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GLA looks way better than this.
Old 02-21-14, 09:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This isn't a GLA competitor anyways. The GLA is for the X1.

I'd be very interested to see what type of person springs for this X4...in a way it's a lifted 4-series Gran Coupe lol.
Old 02-21-14, 09:08 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^you're right, the X4 is bigger and uglier than the GLA
Old 02-21-14, 09:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

So this is the poor man's X6?
Old 02-21-14, 09:49 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
So this is the poor man's X6?
yessir

10 char
Old 02-21-14, 08:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

What's starting to annoy me about BMW is they're pumping out too many similarly designed vehicles with the major design distinction being mostly just size. They come up with one body style and now they have to make three or four of them with just inches separating them: 3 GT, 5 GT; X6 and now X4. What will they have next, a 1 or 2 GT?

In extension, 4-series like the 3-series and why not make it a little more distinct like the A5 is to the A4 and even more distinct like the RC is to the IS/GS.

Some folks in contrast criticize every Lexus now has the spindle grill, but at least the grill has different variations to the theme and both the body styling and vehicle sizes are different.

Until the i3 and i8 show up on the road, the only unique and standout BMW today is the Z4. All the rest are looking too much alike.

PS Milestone post for me: 2000

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-21-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 11:38 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
What's starting to annoy me about BMW is they're pumping out too many similarly designed vehicles with the major design distinction being mostly just size. They come up with one body style and now they have to make three or four of them with just inches separating them: 3 GT, 5 GT; X6 and now X4. What will they have next, a 1 or 2 GT?

In extension, 4-series like the 3-series and why not make it a little more distinct like the A5 is to the A4 and even more distinct like the RC is to the IS/GS.

Some folks in contrast criticize every Lexus now has the spindle grill, but at least the grill has different variations to the theme and both the body styling and vehicle sizes are different.

Until the i3 and i8 show up on the road, the only unique and standout BMW today is the Z4. All the rest are looking too much alike.

PS Milestone post for me: 2000
While I agree with your post, I understand why they do it. They can take a single cash cow platform and spin off several different variants. That and they seem set on filling every gap

Our BMW store has an i3 they've been running for a test drive event all week. I've yet to check it out personally.
Old 02-22-14, 03:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
While I agree with your post, I understand why they do it. They can take a single cash cow platform and spin off several different variants. That and they seem set on filling every gap
Agreed.

In fairness, I can almost say the same about Audi in terms of design/size A3/A4/A6/A8 but at least it's just limited to one body (sedan) that's replicated. Would that be a S, M, L, or XL, sir?
Old 02-22-14, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agreed.

In fairness, I can almost say the same about Audi in terms of design/size A3/A4/A6/A8 but at least it's just limited to one body (sedan) that's replicated. Would that be a S, M, L, or XL, sir?
reminds me of the whole "one sausage different lengths" mentality.

I truly would not be suprised to see that rumored X7 in the future

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: BMW X4