Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Sorento

By CL-member special-request, a Review of the 2014 Kia Sorento.

http://www.kia.com/us/#/sorento

IN A NUTSHELL: Now Kia's largest SUV in the U.S. (though still mid-sized), with surprising comfort on the road.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Ford Explorer, Dodge Journey/Durango, Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-7, Chevrolet Equinox/Traverse), GMC Terrain, Nissan Murano, VW Tiguan, top versions of the Mitsubishi Outlander, and some lower-trim versions of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

(two-tone interior)

(Why a 160-MPH speedometer in an ordinary family-oriented SUV?

OVERVIEW:

I've more or less covered Kia's history in the American market in other Kia reviews, so, I won't re-hash most of that here again....I'll concentrate solely on the introduction and history of the Sorento.

The first-generation Sorento was introduced to the American market, in 2002, as a conventional mid-sized, body-on-frame, truck-based SUV. It wasn't a terribly big seller, being more or less overshadowed by sister Hyundai's slightly smaller car-based Santa Fe, which proved to be more popular (and the Santa Fe itself was enlarged for the second-generation model). Major powertrain upgrades for the Sorento were introduced for 2007, which increased power, but also did away with the standard manual transmission on some models.

A major redesign came with the second-generation model, which was first introduced to South Korea in 2009, and did not make it to the U.S. until 2010 as officially a 2011 model (there was no official 2010 U.S. version). It retained its good NHTSA safety-ratings just like the first one. Along with the major redesign, of course (as some other SUVs were also doing at the time), was a conversion to a car-based unibody frame. Kia officials (apparantly) felt that, at the time, with the larger body-on-frame Kia Borrego SUV also on sale, a second smaller body-on-frame SUV was not needed (the larger Borrego was built like a tank, and I was quite impressed with it when I examined it). Yet, within the year, the Borrego had been dropped from all markets except the Middle East, leaving the car-based Sorento as Kia's American-market flagship SUV. I still don't understand that move (as there was still a market here in America for large SUVs).......but we were stuck with it. For 2012 and 2013, the Sorento received only minimal changes, but the facelift and drivetrain revisions were much more substantial for 2014, the latest version.

For 2014, the American-market Sorento comes in five trim levels.....LX, LX V6, EX V6, SX, and Limited. LX models get a 2.4L GDI in-line four with 191 HP and 181 ft-lbs. of torque (this is NOT the same engine as last year's 2.4L MPI four). The other versions get a (new) 3.3L V6 with 290 HP and 252 ft-lbs. of torque. All versions get a standard 6-speed Sportshift automatic....no other transmission is offered. All versions offer a choice of FWD or full-time AWD with a locking center-differential for tough going (a number of other SUVs don't offer AWD with four-cylinder engines). Base prices, as I type this report up, run from $24,100 on FWD LX models to $40,100 for an AWD Limited (quite a spread, and something maybe to think about when you're shopping for one).

The review request (which came from a CL member in Florida) was for either an SX or SX-L. The Kia web-site lists SX and Limited models as two different price-lines, but, on the actual vehicles themselves, they are marked either "SX" or "SX-L" for the Limited version. The Limited models include true soft and smooth Nappa leather inside on the seats (as opposed to grainy, cheaper-feeling leather on lower-market versions). So, despite its significant 40K-plus price tag, I chose a top-line AWD SX-L Limited for the review. I know that most parts of Florida rarely get significant snow or ice, but AWD also includes traction advantages in rain. Florida DOES get a lot of heavy rain from thunderstorms and tropical storms, and also has a lot of muddy, swampy areas that may need some extra traction.

Once I actually chose the review-vehicle itself, I ran into something pretty rare, something I've only seen once or twice before......erroneous build-information on the price-sticker itself. The sticker was sitting in the right front seat, with the tape still attached to it. I picked it up and started to write down the usual stuff I do in a car review......price/options/powertrain/colors/EPA mileage. Then, I noticed that the sticker said a Titanium (Dark Silver) exterior and Black leather interior. Hmmmmmm..........then why was I sitting on light-gray, off-white leather seats? Didn't make sense. I got out of the car, walked up and down the lot, carefully checked some of the other price-stickers on other Sorentos....didn't seem to be any problem; their info all matched correctly. But mine didn't. So, I carefully checked the car's VIN (the car's official ID number) against that on the price sticker, just to see if the wrong price sticker had got tossed in by mistake (I've also seen that once or twice over the years). Perfect match on the VIN and sticker. So, it was obvious that, somehow, either the wrong interior color had been computer-printed on the sticker or somehow, the car got built with light-gray seats instead of black. I took the sticker inside, showed it to a sales-rep, and explained what I found. He came out, verified the VIN himself, and called the sales manager out, who also looked at it and verified it. Both looked puzzled, thanked me for pointing out the error, and said they would track down with Kia what happened.

OK......so much the the melodrama. On with the review.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2014 Kia Sorento AWD SX-L (Limited)

BASE PRICE: $40,100

OPTIONS:

Third-Row Seat/Rear Air-Conditioning: $1200

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $850 (not bad for a vehicle this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $42,150

DRIVETRAIN: AWD with locking center differential, Transversely-mounted 3.3L V6, 290 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque 252 ft-lbs. @ 5200 RPM, 6-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 20 Combined, 24 Highway, 18 City.

EXTERIOR COLOR: Titanium Silver

INTERIOR: Gray Nappa Leather (this didn't agree with the color on the printed price-sticker, as I explained earlier)

PLUSSES:

Luxury-car comfort/refinement on the road.

Strong, torquey V6 engine at low RPMs.

Effective road/wind-noise isolation.

Relatively short turning radius for a vehicle this size.

Reasonable 3500 towing capacity for V6 (but not as high as with body-on-frame SUVs).

Well-done paint jobs, even in black.

Nice polished wooden steering wheel on the Limited version.

Generally simple, easy-to-use controls/buttons/*****.

Relatively clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Solid-feeling interior hardware.

Nice-feeling Nappa leather seats.

Adjustable second-row seats.

Solid, easy-to-grip pull-lever for front doors.

Reasonably good headroom, front and rear, despite dual-sunroofs.

Easy-to-fold third-row seats for extra cargo room.

Nicely designed, easy-to-use web site and Build-Your-Own feature.

Excellent Kia 10/100 and 5/60 warranties.

MINUSES:

SX Limited models somewhat pricey, especially for a Kia.

Roly-Poly handling.

Relatively slow steering response.

Some sponginess in the brake pedal (but not bad).

Awkward step-on, pedal-type parking brake.

Wide but somewhat dull exterior color choices.

Too many restrictions on exterior color choices by trim-level.

No protective body-side mouldings.

Cheap-looking plasticky woodtone paneling and brushed-metal interior trim.

So-so stereo sound quality.

Front seats not particularly supportive.

Large, wide D-pillars and smallish rear window restrict some rear-vision.

Second-row seats sometimes tight on legroom, even with adjustents.

Third-row seats useful only for kids and small adults.

Upright third-row seats severely restrict the available cargo area.

Temporary spare tire instead of a real one (SUVs sometimes still have real ones).

Hard-to-reach temporary spare tire located under rear bumper.

EXTERIOR:

There's nothing really unusual about the Sorento's exterior styling or body-lines....it pretty much follows the standard (and traditional) two-box SUV layout. It also, of course, with the classic Kia "Tigershark" grille up front, is instantly recognizable as a newer Kia product. Base LX models come with black plastic body-cladding all around the lower part of the body and in the wheel-wells, while the other versions get body-color paint instead. I actually prefer the cheaper black plastic....it not only gives it a nice (but narrow) two-tone effect, but also helps protect the lower part of the body from paint-chips/stains. More body-color down there, of course, just means more paint to stain or get chipped. Unfortunately, Kia (which DOES put body-side mouldings on some of its other products), decided not to do so with the new Sorento....so that means either susceptibility to parking-lot dings or a trip to the auto-parts store for an aftermarket molding. A fairly wide choice of ten exterior paint colors are offered....virtually all of them of funeral-home grade, with only the White Pearl really standing out. Fortunately, none of them seem to be extra-cost colors, even the White Pearl. Unfortunately, color-availability is strictly regulated by trim-level.....to the point where the top-line Limited models come only in white, silver, and black, which, IMO, is insulting to buyers. Kia needs to make some big changes in that department. The paint jobs are generally well-done, even in black, which, unlike the black on some other vehicles, does not show much orange-peel. Nice body-color side-mirrors, with integrated turn-signal indicators, are standard even on base LX models. Kia, of course, is known for a lot of features for the price.....though not quite so much today as in the past. The body sheet metal seemed of reasonable quality/solidness, though, IMO, neither the doors or hood shut with quite as solid-sounding/feeling thunk as in the cheaper Kia Sportage SUV. Visibility out the front and sizes was OK. But, even with the relatively conservative two-box design, the large, thick D-pillars and smallish rear window noticeably limited the view out back and the side-rear. Part of the reason for those thick pillars may not only be styling but also because the new Federal roof-crush rollover standards for SUVs pretty much require their use.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the reasonably solid hood, and nice gas struts hold it up for you instead of the common (and cheap) manual prop-rod. There is the usual sound-insulation pad on the underside of the hood. The engine compartment seems adequately sized for the transverse-mounted 3.3L V6, which fits in reasonably well, and there is some room to reach components on the front and front-side of the block. But, as with many other vehicles today, a large plastic decorative engine cover blocks a lot of the top components. The battery, on the right-front side of the compartment, is itself uncovered so you can reach the terminals, but is partially blocked from above by other components. The dipsticks, fluid-reservoirs, and filler caps are generally easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the new Sorento, particularly the top-level Limited version, is, overall, a pretty nice place, though a few things could be improved. The first things that one notices inside are the generally high quality of the hardware and the relative simplicity of the controls/*****/displays, though the ubiquitous video center-screen with the NAV and stereo readouts is there. Still, it is not as difficult to operate as some other screens, and the relatively simple ***** control a number of the functions. The Limited models include a double-sunroof, yet headroom for tall persons is reasonably good both in front and rear. The ceiling headliner and dual sun-visors are covered in a relatively nice-feeling soft-fabric. The smooth Nappa Leather seat upholstery in the Limited models, IMO, is far nicer than the cheaper-feeling grained leather in the EX and SX versions. In fact, I'd rather have the cloth seats in the base versions than that cheaper leather....but, of course, tastes differ on that. The steering wheel, on the Limited, has a Lexus-like polished wood-trimmed rim that feels slick as butter to hold. The front seats, though with nice Nappa leather, aren't particularly supportive to sit in, and are relatively flat across the cushions. Of course, the Sorento's definitely un-sporty handling doesn't require much side-support in the seats....more on that later. The second-row seats, in back, have both fore/aft and rake manual-adjustments, yet, even so, don't always allow a lot of legroom for taller persons. The optional ($1200) third-row seats, which includes an extra air-conditioning unit for the rear, as, as with most mid-sized SUVs, generally fit only for kids or small adults.....more on that later. Most of the interior trim is well-done and tasteful, though both Hyundai and Kia, on many of their newer vehicles (even some of their top-line luxury products), seem addicted to cheap-looking, matte-finish, fake-aluminum inside door-handles rather than nicely-polished chrome. I wasn't terribly impressed, either, with the too-shiny and too-plasticized wood-tone trim strips on the dash and doors.....IMO, it looked like anything BUT wood. The thick, solidly-attached vertical inside door-pulls, however, were nice. The gauges were generally well-designed, clear, and easy to read, though, IMO, it is better to use full-length needles than the the Mercedes-type floating-needle, which I've never particularly liked. And the speedometer, oddly, reads to 160 MPH, despite the fact that Sorento is far more of a cruiser than a bruiser, and will probably not be driven at triple-digit speeds on the German Autobahn. The stereo controls, even with the video-screen readouts, are reasonably easy to use, but the sound-quality itself is nowhere near what you would get in, say, a Mark Levinson or Harmon-Kardin unit. I think Kia could have managed to put in an electronic parking-brake switch (my $25,000 Buick Verano has one) instead of the awkward, left-foot pedal under the dash.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

On my test car, a Limited model, the rear-hatch was power-operated. Once opened, the conservative roofline, of course, means a tall ceiling for carrying large items, but, with the third-row seats up, there is precous little room for carrying things behind the seat. Fortunately, the seats fold easily with a strap/push motion. You will probably want them down most of the time unless you are carrying kids or small adults back there, which is all they can handle. For the 40K price, the cargo area is not particularly well-trimmed, with what feels like bare black-plastic walls and relatively thin black-fabric carpet on the floor (which is actually the back of the third-row seat when folded). With the third-row seats down, of course, cargo room transforms into a much larger area......and the second-row seats can also fold down if even more cargo room is needed. Under a pull-up carpeted floor-panel is the jack for tire-changing, and, under the rear bumper itself, underneath the vehicle itself, in a very hard-to-reach place, is a temporary spare tire.....a number of SUVs still have real spares. With a set-up like this, I think Kia is going to end up taking a lot of Roadside-Asistance calls for flats on the Sorento. Good thing they offer that service (probably through AAA) free for a full 5 years/60,000 miles.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the new-for-2014 3.3L V6, on the Limited version, with a nice engine START/STOP button. The engine fires and idles as slickly and quietly as a typical Lexus V6....my (admittedly) aging ears couldn't detect any significant noise at all. Nor was there much noise from the V6 or its exhaust system on acceleration, either. The V6's official published torque-curve indicates some peakiness, with max-torque at a relatively high 5200 RPM. But, on the road, it seemed just the opposite. Strong torque was evident right off idle and at lower speeds, to the point that the throttle almost seemed jumpy in that range. As RPMs and speed built up, the engine gradually started to run out of breath. Though these characteristics are more typical of an automotive diesel, this new V6 is very much a gas engine. The six-speed Sport-Shift transmission responded smoothly and slickly.

Now, even over and above the new V6, we come to what is arguably this car's best feature (especially by SUV standards)....its cushy cruise-comfort, which, IMO, is better than that of some luxury-oriented sedans. Even with the big 19" wheels on the Limited versions, the 55-series tires and relatively soft suspension do a good job of soaking up bumps and dissapating them before they get into the cabin. The smaller wheels and higher-profile tires of the lesser versions, of course, can be expected to ride even smoother. With the recent obsession with sportiness, it is a relatively uncommon vehicle, today, that places this kind of emphasis on ride comfort. Not only road bumps, but wind noise and tire noise are also effectively controlled...the quiet in this vehicle, to my ears at least, can be roughly compared to a Lexus RX. Of course, this is the top-line and most expensive Sorento, and may (?) have more sound-insulation in the structure than other versions.....I didn't cross-check all of them to be sure.

The down side to the cush-tush riding comfort, of course, is relative sloppiness in the handling and steering response. Although it's not the worst-handling vehicle I've driven by any means (that honor probably goes to the Ford Excursion), don't expect a Sorento to be able to autocross with a Miata. The body rolls noticeably on sharp steering inputs (the high center of gravity, of course, aggravates this), and steering response, even with the dash switch that puts the steering in Sport Mode (which is not really sport), is less than instantaneous. But it suits my everyday driving style just fine. Though I can carve through the twisties if I want to (or have to), I'm generally not an aggressive driver, and usually prefer ride comfort over sporty handling. The brakes, however, were OK, but could use some improvement. The pedal location itself is OK for my big size-15 clown-shoes not hanging up on the of the edge pedal when going from gas to brake. But the pedal felt a little spongy.....not bad, but just enough to be noticeable. I generally don't like firm suspensions/tires, but, like many auto-enthusiasts, I DO like a firm-feeling brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

When shopping for a new Sorento, one is faced with a wide price range (I saw a few base LX models that listed in the upper-20s). SX Limited models start at 40K, and, with options, can run considerably more (mine had only the 3rd-seat/rear AC option). So, the obvious question arises......does one really NEED to really spend 40K if buying a Sorento? The answer to that is probably beyond the scope of this review, as I was not going to test each model of the Sorento separately for comparison. But there's no question that the top-of-the-line SX Limited model has a lot going for it with that 40K price. The seat-upholstery is the nicest of that in any Sorento version (that I can verify). It rides and cruises, especially by SUV standards, in traditional luxury-car comfort. It has a silky-smooth and quiet V6 that will give you torque when you need it, especially at low speeds.....in fact, I think its official 252 ft-lbs. of torque may be a little underrated. The sound insulation is Buick/Lexus-effective. Blindflded, it may be hard to tell if you were riding in this vehicle or in a Lexus RX350...in fact, if anything, the RX may be a little firmer over bumps.

But, like all vehicles, there are some flies in the ointment. The brake pedal could use a little more German-style firmness. The seat cushions, though probably OK for this type of driving, could use some more support. The already-nice interior would look even better with nicer-quality trim materials for the wood-tone strips and door-handles. Put in a little nicer stereo. Stop restricting different trim-levels to different exterior paint colors, and give us some more paint colors that aren't borrowed from the Munsters.

Still, a good vehicle (actually great in some areas) with a line of trim-levels that let you shop, at least more or less, as your bank account dictates.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 08:03 PM
LexFather

40k base and 42k tested.....wow....

I've had experience with it too, nice family SUV...didn't realize it got that pricey. Leather was plastic like but dash was well laid out. Rear has side vents instead of center console.

Old 08-21-13, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
40k base and 42k tested.....wow....

I've had experience with it too, nice family SUV...didn't realize it got that pricey. Leather was plastic like but dash was well laid out. Rear has side vents instead of center console.
Yep, it isn't Kia Rio money, but then again, to an extent, you get what you pay for. With the (possible) exception of the Hyundai Equus, I don't think I've ever been in a Korean-designed vehicle that rode this quietly. And, of course, Sorento LXs start in the 20s.
Old 08-21-13, 10:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Seems like a great vehicle and love the looks of this SUV. I am also surprised it can get to 42K. How is reliability with KIA vehicles relative . Average, above average...
Old 08-21-13, 11:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Ford Explorer, Dodge Journey/Durango, Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-7, Chevrolet Equinox/Traverse), GMC Terrain, Nissan Murano, VW Tiguan, top versions of the Mitsubishi Outlander, and some lower-trim versions of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I think you mean CX-9. CX-7 which is being phased out is not as big nor offers a third row like the majority of those listed
Old 08-22-13, 07:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up Mike... as always

Couple notes- comparison vehicle is CX-9, not CX-7

Looked at this Sorento as well when shopping. My CX-9 Touring seats 7, runs like a sedan, very comfortable, pulls my 20-ft Sea Ray easily, gets 20mpg combined (almost 22 w/ new rims) ... all for $34K... LOVE IT more and more!!!!!
Old 08-22-13, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Looked at this Sorento as well when shopping. My CX-9 Touring seats 7, runs like a sedan, very comfortable, pulls my 20-ft Sea Ray easily, gets 20mpg combined (almost 22 w/ new rims) ... all for $34K... LOVE IT more and more!!!!!
cx-9 is very nice, but i don't think it has a lot of features this loaded sorrento has... of course a sorrento can also be had in that 34k or less price range too.

and the 2014 sorrento is a huge improvement over the prior years, even though it looks very similar.
Old 08-22-13, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Seems like a great vehicle and love the looks of this SUV. I am also surprised it can get to 42K. How is reliability with KIA vehicles relative . Average, above average...
Kia long-term reliability, according to Consumer reports, is generally from average to above-average, except for the somewhat unreliable Sedona minivan. An ex co-worker of mine, though, bought a Sedona, and it turned out to be quite reliable except for rotor-warping.

When you drive a SX-Limited, one can see why it runs 40K and up. It can give a Lexus RX350 a run for its money in several areas.
Old 08-22-13, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think you mean CX-9. CX-7 which is being phased out is not as big nor offers a third row like the majority of those listed
To an extent....depends on which Sorento version you're talking about. Both the CX-7 and CX-9 could be considered potential competitors....but I felt more-so with the CX-7. The CX-9 is considerably larger. The Sorento is tall and wide, but not particularly long.....and, with the third-row seat up, strongly lacks cargo space in back. You have to drop the third-row seats to carry anything.
Old 08-22-13, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Nice write-up Mike... as always
Thanks.

Couple notes- comparison vehicle is CX-9, not CX-7
See my reply to Hoovey, just above.
Old 08-22-13, 09:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Kia's (Hyundai's too) are no longer a big value from strictly a pricing standpoint, but for the money they do offer a lot of content and they still come with the long warranties.

Since they are mainstream now they don't need to be the lowest price cars out there anymore.
Old 08-22-13, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Kia's (Hyundai's too) are no longer a big value from strictly a pricing standpoint, but for the money they do offer a lot of content and they still come with the long warranties.

Since they are mainstream now they don't need to be the lowest price cars out there anymore.
A few cars from other makes (including the Nissan Versa and Mitsubishi's upcoming Mirage), in base versions, now actually undercut Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio prices.
Old 08-22-13, 09:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Soreno looks like something KIA would have done 10 years ago... Hyundai's version seems a lot nicer to me.
Old 08-22-13, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Soreno looks like something KIA would have done 10 years ago...
Maybe, but it sure doesn't drive like something Kia did 10 years ago....if refinement and comfort is your thing.

Hyundai's version seems a lot nicer to me.
...meaning the Santa Fe?

I've driven the latest Santa Fe. IMO, it doesn't have anywhere near the comfort/refinement the new Sorento does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 11:40 AM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review MM! Having owned 5 Solaras, an 07 GS 350 AWD, and an Azera, I am now the proud owner of a 2014 Kia Sorento SXL. I am by NO means a Kia/Hyundai fan boy, however I need to share my impressions after switching brands(after 14 years of Toyota Lexus loyalty). My mom also swiched from 20 years of Camry's to a 12 loaded Kia Optima, and for the first time in her life she "loves her car". She switched because the new camry offered no color options that she liked(frankly they are awful, refrigerator white, etc. She wanted to have a pearl white(which now can be purchased in the sport camry model).

I purchased one of the first SXL 14s to hit NJ in March. It drives amazing, is absolutely loaded with high end features, and it is as quiet as my second Gen solaras and GS. There is a nice level or refinement inside and out. Lots of lease and buying incentives... I received $2000 competitive lease cash, and $1500 bonus cash. Leasing out a loaded 42k vehicle for under 450 a month.

My pros-

-Refinement
-Attention to detail
-Driving charecteristics, but I hate the electric steering.
-Value
-7 Seater
-Led positioning lamps, interior LED mood lighting, and rear led "tube" lighting.
-fun stuff(heated steering wheel, cooled seats, pano sun roof with power shade).

Cons-
-Hard plastic dash. This is a big one, if they would have done this right it really would feel like a -true luxury SUV.
-The Key Fob(it is a total redesign and the buttons are not recessed enough and this causes the lift gate and doors to unlock whenever it hits anything in my pocket).
-Kia techs. Although many are friendly, their level of service and professionalism has really underpaced the brands growth. When I bring my Sorento there I do not have a lot of confidence. I will say many Kia dealerships are closing up their old shops and opening more state of the art shops, the tech dept hasn't kept up. I will say the Kia salespeople have been nothing but amazing and kind, not smug at all. As opposed to Nissan which we had our worst ever buying experience from. All in all I am very happy with my purchase, but would absolutely purchase a Toyota/Lexus product again in the future. I had my heart set on the new GS but boy I was just so disappointed when I saw how dull It was styling wise. Entirely too conservative for a luxury sports sedan.

So far no defects at 14,500 miles. It has a brief rough idle for a second or two at ten seconds after startup, but that's it.

Here are some pics I took during the first couple weeks of ownership.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Sorento