Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-13, 10:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
No I didn't. I stopped reading after the $40k line.
And is your only car a 16 year old one? Not knocking that but maybe you're out of touch with the price of NEW cars

My 7 year old ford explorer without 4wd was 38k out the door - yeah it's pretty loaded.

While new cars are definiely pricey these days, maybe you should go see what a vehicle like an sx sorrento is all about. The list of features in it and many other new cars are amazing.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-24-13 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 05:06 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
@Hoovey2411 Excellent camera or nice picture taking skillz (or both ). Looks most excellent

Thank you!!! Small story tie in. I actually had to sell me GS when I was let go from my real estate position from the market crash. I went to a 97 corolla with hand crank windows, and wanted to start a new career where I was in control. Bought a Mac, Canon 50D and 7D, taught myself architecture photography and have a nice career for myself photographing homes, estates, and busineses. Far from being rich, but I can afford my bills again and have my life back. Had to work almost 80 hours a week for almost 5 years, I would love to purchase my GS again as my second car, it was Glacier Frost Mica which I just loved!

These photos were shot with a 10-22 lens, 3 exposuers 2 up 2 down 1 neutral on a 10 second timer then merged together and some finishing touches in Lightroom.

@spwolf

Hyundai actually has been doing much more "cost cutting" then Kia on some models... I was all set to get the Santa Fe but they really turned me off with what the did to the Santa Fe compared to what they did with the rest of the world.

-Dropped LED tail lights, HID Lights, Interior mood lights, cooled seats, 3rd row option, V6, Blind spot monitoring, Power lift gate, etc. Most of these features are not available on the Santa Fe Sport or the Long Wheel Base Version. Even if you have to pay a few grand extra for them, they should still be available.
-Obvious cost cutting on materials inside, even though it is still very nice.
-Kia seems to take the platform that Hyundia develops with them and take the time to step up the luxury and make them much more sporty. With one expection though, the hard dash in the sorento looks good but feels awful... the sorento plastic wood is even worse, thin and shiny.
-I do prefer the look to the exterior of the Santa Fe, but both have their ups and downs. I actually liked my Sorento more then the new RX, which shocked me.

@bitkahuna weezer - congrats on your sorrento sxl! is there any option you didn't get and if so, why not? how is the nav? how is the voice recognition? how is your real world fuel economy?

No on the SXL, I got every option that existed. For some reason when you compare the top end EX with all the packages, the SXL does not cost much more in a lease and you get so much more.

I can give a good opinion on the nav because I had a 12 Azera(the restyled one) and it was loaded also with NAV(but it had the previous gen nav). The Azera was a beautiful car inside and out, but it was just "souless". Felt like I was driving an ES or a Buick... too quiet, no feedback etc. Because of my job I shoot anywhere from 2-7 homes a day, and drive all over the place so NAV is VERY important to me. The previous gen nav on the Hyundias was just horrendous, almost unusable. It was very quick in response time, but that is just about it. It gave two route options for everything, and they were identical with exception to maybe changing the first or last minute of the route. Blutooth audio streaming did not use meta data, and using apps was almost impossible.

The Kia Nav (8 inches now, high resolution with UVO) is a dramatic improvment. It works and works very well. In the hundreds of times I have used it I have had almost no frustration. It even does the little things right like displaying the street speed limit, good traffic intergration etc. I still don't understand why most of these car manufacturers can't show the audio info and map info at the same time... this gen nav still has the same issue.

Voice recognition is good but not great... it still often dials the wrong name etc, but it's nice when you are driving.

True real world fuel economy is 23.8 Highway... if I am doing steady 65 on the highway I will hit almost 25 but that is with the ECO button on and no passing. My mixed driving is 21.6-21.8. Heavy city driving is 19.8-20. I was part of the JD Power and associates survey for the 14 Sorentos, so I was calculating the old fashioned way.

If anyone here is still considering a KIA, you still need to do your research. For example even though the 13' Sorento looks almost identical, it is built on the old Santa Fe Platform... and has the 3.5 engine that is far from great and not very reliable. Also that gen overal reliability is not great... from all the research I have done the new 3.3 engine(That is also used in the Azera and Cadenza) has a great reliability track record so far. The new 14 santa fe is 80% new according to Kia.

My moms optima is going on almost 2 years, also no issues and drives great. Thank you everyone for your compliments and kind words. MMarshall, you make a difference for all of us and I always look forward to your reviews and guidance.
We to have both the 2012 Optima SX and 2012 Kia Sorento base 4cyl vehicles.. We just paid our 17th payment on both vehicles and although i only have 4k miles on my Optima its been a blast to drive. Like everyone has said in the past 'i never thought i would own a KIA but once i saw the car and the styling i had to have one.. I really have nothing to complain about except the suspension is a little rough at times but thats really it.

Our Sorento has 17k miles and has been running great.. The only thing i wish is that we opted for the V6 and not the 4cyl. At the time the GF needed to get out of her Hummer lease and into something quick with a lower payment. The vehicle has been great these last 17 months..

Your 2014 Sorento looks great IMO... Just as refined as the RX and others in its Class.. I read somewhere that in the next 5 years KIA/Hyundai will be just as competitive as Lexus/Toyota.
Old 08-25-13, 08:12 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And is your only car a 16 year old one? Not knocking that but maybe you're out of touch with the price of NEW cars

My 7 year old ford explorer without 4wd was 38k out the door - yeah it's pretty loaded.

While new cars are definiely pricey these days, maybe you should go see what a vehicle like an sx sorrento is all about. The list of features in it and many other new cars are amazing.
What does my SC have anything to do with this discussion? That's my toy car, I have another car that I daily drive.

I've worked in dealerships for many years, including several years at Lexus and am around new cars all day. Yes I know what new car features are what inflation has done to new car prices since 1997 since you for some reason decided to bring that up. This is not a discussion about that.

The fact that this Kia, I don't care how loaded it is, is anywhere near the price territory of an RX350 is just beyond a joke.
Old 08-25-13, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that this Kia, I don't care how loaded it is, is anywhere near the price territory of an RX350 is just beyond a joke.
ok, let's do this.

as reviewed here, awd sx-l including destination/freight is: $42,150
rx350 awd base with delivery/handling (per lexus.com) is: $41,970

so pretty much a wash, huh?

but wait, the rx doesn't have things like, oh, leather seats, moonroof, backup camera, wait, what?

to get those you have to add at least a $5605 package

navigation? voice control? hid lights?

better up to the next level package which is $7540

so now the rx350awd with that is $49,420
want blind spot monitoring... ok it's $49,920
want 19" rims? now it's $50,690

so now it's $8540 more than the loaded sorrento.

so it's not "anywhere near the price territory of an rx350"

not to mention the sorrento is a 7 seat vehicle, so not sure why we're comparing.
Old 08-25-13, 11:14 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, let's do this.

as reviewed here, awd sx-l including destination/freight is: $42,150
rx350 awd base with delivery/handling (per lexus.com) is: $41,970

so pretty much a wash, huh?

but wait, the rx doesn't have things like, oh, leather seats, moonroof, backup camera, wait, what?

to get those you have to add at least a $5605 package

navigation? voice control? hid lights?

better up to the next level package which is $7540

so now the rx350awd with that is $49,420
want blind spot monitoring... ok it's $49,920
want 19" rims? now it's $50,690

so now it's $8540 more than the loaded sorrento.

so it's not "anywhere near the price territory of an rx350"

not to mention the sorrento is a 7 seat vehicle, so not sure why we're comparing.
Yeah you left out the part where this is a freaking KIA being compared to a Lexus.... and the depreciation and resale factor. And god knows the reliability of these cars.

I love the people defending these cars based on new car reviews and the amount of gadgets they come with. I bet you would've had a ball defending the 87-early 90's Pontiac Bonneville because it had twice as many buttons as a Lexus LS400 and cost less. These same people never mention things like build quality (which is horrendous compared to most German cars or something like a Lexus or Acura, and Infiniti) and resale value along with long term reliability which is unknown at this point.
Old 08-25-13, 11:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah you left out the part where this is a freaking KIA being compared to a Lexus.... and the depreciation and resale factor. And god knows the reliability of these cars.

I love the people defending these cars based on new car reviews and the amount of gadgets they come with. I bet you would've had a ball defending the 87-early 90's Pontiac Bonneville because it had twice as many buttons as a Lexus LS400 and cost less. These same people never mention things like build quality (which is horrendous compared to most German cars or something like a Lexus or Acura, and Infiniti) and resale value along with long term reliability which is unknown at this point.
The RX isn't exactly Lexus best model either. It's based on Camry platform, and its interior trim is rather cheap looking, with some questionable build quality as well.

Inflation in the last decade has really pumped up prices of cars. Of course 40k for a Kia sounds ridiculous, but not anymore ridiculous than 50k for RX.

A fully loaded Honda Pilot is 41k, Highlander is 39k, Explorer 41k, and so on. This is used to be RX, MDX money less than 10 years ago.
Old 08-25-13, 12:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The RX isn't exactly Lexus best model either. It's based on Camry platform, and its interior trim is rather cheap looking, with some questionable build quality as well.

Inflation in the last decade has really pumped up prices of cars. Of course 40k for a Kia sounds ridiculous, but not anymore ridiculous than 50k for RX.

A fully loaded Honda Pilot is 41k, Highlander is 39k, Explorer 41k, and so on. This is used to be RX, MDX money less than 10 years ago.
The problem is not inflation as that has an effect on all car companies. The problem is that now a loaded KIA SUV is somehow as expensive as a base model Lexus SUV. Inflation aside, there should be a noticeable price gap between a Lexus and a KIA unless the world is going crazy.

Even a fully loaded KIA vs a fully loaded Lexus should have a bigger gap than $5-8k just as you would expect a Highlander fully loaded to not be in the price territory of a fully loaded Mercedes ML. See what I am getting at?
Old 08-25-13, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The problem is not inflation as that has an effect on all car companies. The problem is that now a loaded KIA SUV is somehow as expensive as a base model Lexus SUV. Inflation aside, there should be a noticeable price gap between a Lexus and a KIA unless the world is going crazy.

Even a fully loaded KIA vs a fully loaded Lexus should have a bigger gap than $5-8k just as you would expect a Highlander fully loaded to not be in the price territory of a fully loaded Mercedes ML. See what I am getting at?
the world isn't going crazy, there's all kinds of overlap in the car business.

you should compare actually similar vehicles, then maybe look at the price gap compared to what you get...

comparing a 5 seater not-very luxurious rx cuv with a loaded to the gills 7 seater suv from kia (which also definitely doesn't have a luxurious dash at least) is kinda pointless.

maybe you should compare the lx with the kia since the lx is 2-3 times the price.

or how about we compare a cth with the sorrento? a loaded cth is over $39k and doesn't have a lot of the features of the sorrento.

it's like saying it's not right that lexus has (had) a car for sale that cost more than ferrari. of course it's right, lexus just expanded their offering!

but what you seem to be having a problem with is that brands aren't static, they evolve, and sometimes move upmarket or just expand their offerings. no brand today is much like it was 20 years ago.

porsche has suvs and a giant 4 seater? bmw has a 1 series? lexus has an is as big as a gs used to be and a bunch of new models and sold a sports car over $375k? things change...

and it's all good!
Old 08-25-13, 01:29 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell are you talking about? Read what you are typing.

And what you're also missing is that the Sorrento is a 7-seater, while the RX is a 5-seater. Secondly, A lot of loaded "non-luxury" vehicles nowadays offer a lot more for the bucks than the base entry level luxury cars. And the RX is an entry level luxury SUV.

You're talking about reliability and resale value? Tell that to a Benz that depreciates faster than most vehicles and questionable reliability. People don't price new cars on those factors. You, the consumer, may base your buying habits on those factors. But that's an entirely different point.

Kia is offering a vehicle in its segment to sell against its competition, not the RX. Its competition is the Pilot, Highlander... A loaded Pilot/Highlander is comparable in price to a loaded Sorrento. That's the point. You don't agree, well that's too bad.
Old 08-25-13, 02:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I don't know, or care (and too lazy to bother looking it up) about the price territory of a Mercedes ML, but a fully loaded Highlander is right there in the price territory of base RX. A loaded RX is significantly more $ than a highlander. It's the same deal for Sorento vs RX.

A base Sorento starts at just 24k, and this top of the range 40k model is going to be rare, as most people indeed aren't willing to drop this kind of money on a car from non premium brands.
Old 08-25-13, 02:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm not such what kind of technology this is, and how it works, but it looks so awesome when used on headlights and taillights, much better than individual LEDs. For instance ES/GS have individual LEDs in their headlights, but the refreshed LS has this "tube" light and it looks so much more awesome!

Old 08-25-13, 03:28 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by doublehh03
What the hell are you talking about? Read what you are typing.

... .
Why don't you watch your tone? He's a Proven Lexus owner and he's been asked about his car and now insulted by you.

I agree 40k for it is nuts I don't care if it washes your clothes. They won't sell for that anyway, MSRP will be discounted heavily and most sold are not priced like this.

97SC is right at 40k a NAMEPLATE really starts to factor in. Most 7 seaters are not bought b/c of need but b/c it's a nice feature they might need. Its the reason why people prefer a base bare 320 at 35k then a loaded Sonata.

Badge. Those that are fans of brands that have no badge power seem to not understand this concept on the Internet.

Old 08-25-13, 04:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The relevant numbers are NA sales thru July. RX 54k and Sorento 63k. There's obviously a market of actual buyers for both of them. Comparing them seems a bit apples and oranges.
Old 08-25-13, 04:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The relevant numbers are NA sales thru July. RX 54k and Sorento 63k. There's obviously a market of actual buyers for both of them. Comparing them seems a bit apples and oranges.
And look at the price difference

RX-40k-60k
Sorento-24k-40k

Base RX starts where the Kia ends and the RX sells nearly as well. The RX is simply amazing.

Old 08-25-13, 04:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doublehh03
What the hell are you talking about?
doublehh03 - no need for that kind of tone. please don't do it again.

i agree with the rest of your points though.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
He's a Proven Lexus owner
while this is a Lexus-oriented website, being a 'Proven Lexus owner' does not qualify or disqualify someone to discuss cars in Car Chat, or anywhere else on here in fact, as long as it's done according to our forum rules, in a respectful way, as you know.

I agree 40k for it is nuts I don't care if it washes your clothes. They won't sell for that anyway, MSRP will be discounted heavily and most sold are not priced like this.
just about everything is discounted, except for brand new models, and those in very short supply. also, i just checked the price on a loaded mazda cx-9. guess what, just under $40k, and missing many features of the sorrento. great vehicle though, but also not worth comparing to an rx. just checked, a limited avalon is also near 42k.

97SC is right at 40k a NAMEPLATE really starts to factor in.
50 is the new 40.

Its the reason why people prefer a base bare 320 at 35k then a loaded Sonata.
funny, i just talked to two people who traded in luxury vehicles for, guess what, a new hyundai sonata! they couldn't see spending the luxury brand new car prices, or worrying about issues with used ones.

Those that are fans of brands that have no badge power seem to not understand this concept on the Internet.
brand is in essence, fashion, or image. some people must have oakleys, or louis vitton, etc. more power to 'em!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-25-13 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Sorento