Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS to get Deviant at SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus IS to get Deviant at SEMA

Lexus IS to get Deviant at SEMA

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lexus...#photo-848442/

It's time to start gathering intel on SEMA, and it starts with this drawing of a modified 2014 Lexus IS. Lexus ran a competition on DeviantART, an online community for artists, to find a suitably modified IS that it could build and display at the temple of all things aftermarket in Las Vegas. The winner, as judged by a four-person panel from among more than 600 entries, is the IS rendered above by Rob Evans.

The winner looks like the beginning of a build for an IS entry into Japan's Super GT series, with a seriously exaggerated front spoiler and rear diffuser and fender flares that aren't just punched out, they're throwing 12-punch combinations.

Evans will have his car built by VIP Auto Salon and plastered all over Lexus materials promoting its presence at the show. Oh, and he gets an IS F-Sport for a year, among other prizes. Second place went to Lucia Lee, third place to Guangho Huang.

2014 Lexus IS Sport Sedan Designed to Deviate at 2013 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show

- Lexus and DeviantART Challenge Creatives to Modify IS
- 25 IS Finalists Selected – Inspired by Performance and Design
- First Place Submission to be Modified and Displayed at SEMA

TORRANCE, Calif., – August 19, 2013 – The all-new 2014 Lexus IS sport sedan is getting closer to making its grand entrance this November at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas. The third-generation IS will turn heads at SEMA with new aggressive exterior styling demonstrated by a spindle grille, wider stance and sporty rocker panels. To make the IS stand out more, Lexus partnered with DeviantART to find creatives who envisioned the sport sedan to be even edgier.

DeviantArt and Lexus challenged the design community to show their vision for the 2014 IS with custom exterior treatments and modifications. The ultimate IS sport sedan concept will be modified by VIP Auto Salon in 10 weeks to reflect the rendering. It will also be displayed at the Lexus space at SEMA.

Community members spent countless hours conceiving concepts and creating visions that would further enhance the IS. Four judges narrowed more than 600 innovative submissions down to 25. The top 25 entries were selected based on being true to the essence of the 2014 IS design, being consistent with the image of the Lexus brand, originality and potential as an actual executable design.

Lexus and DeviantART announced the first, second and third place winners today. Rob Evans from Seattle, Washington took first place. His rendering will be built and displayed at the SEMA show. The second place winner was Lucia Lee of Pasadena, California, while Guanghao Huang from Southfield, Michigan placed third.

In addition to having their creation come to life, the talented first place winner will receive a one-year lease of a 2014 Lexus IS F SPORT; $2,000; a trip to this year's SEMA Show to see their IS concept on display; 8,000 deviantART points; and a one-year premium membership to deviantART.

The second and third place prize packages include $1,500; a six-month premium membership to deviantART; and 4,000 deviantART points. Semi-finalists will receive 2,000 deviantART points; a three-month premium membership to deviantART; and a Lexus slim master hardcover notebook.

The four judges were Brian Bolain, Lexus corporate manager marketing communications; Clark Ishihara, VIP AutoSalon president; Nate Martinez, Motor Trend associate online editor; and Alex Shen, Calty Design Research, Inc. studio chief designer.

The all-new IS landed at dealerships in June. Lexus will feature the DeviantART IS at the SEMA Show in its exhibit located at the front of Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center, November 5-8.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/21/l...viant-at-sema/
Old 08-21-13, 04:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

everything sounded great for Evan until I read this:

Evans will have his car built by VIP Auto Salon
Old 08-21-13, 04:39 PM
Hoovey689

I don't like that white one that won. This one looks so much better

Old 08-21-13, 06:16 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

^^I agree, subtle, yet still aggressive, and I'm an artist myself and my brother works for Mattel designing Hot Wheels an he agrees totally with the silver one Hoovey posted.
Old 08-21-13, 07:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by robloc93
^^I agree, subtle, yet still aggressive, and I'm an artist myself and my brother works for Mattel designing Hot Wheels an he agrees totally with the silver one Hoovey posted.
Wish I could draw :/ lol

But this liquid platinum one is more fluid and far more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than the ultra white one that won. That just looks pieced together, and VIP Auto Salon would more easily be able to make the white one than the more complex but appealing silver IS

Ps sounds like a cool job
Old 08-21-13, 07:50 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wish I could draw :/ lol

But this liquid platinum one is more fluid and far more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than the ultra white one that won. That just looks pieced together, and VIP Auto Salon would more easily be able to make the white one than the more complex but appealing silver IS

Ps sounds like a cool job
Totally agree bro, and cars are the only thing I could never get right, lol.......I'm a professional tattoo artist with a degree in Game Art and Design so I can draw anything but cars always kicked my butt.
Old 08-21-13, 08:01 PM
LexFather

So sick...lips sealed

Old 08-21-13, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool. Its would be great to see this creation in the flesh . Aggressive is an understatement
Old 08-21-13, 11:24 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i vote for the white one in the OP
Old 08-22-13, 02:34 AM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gun metal model is the "practical-live with every day" iteration but leaves me feeling cold. The white iteration makes my inner boy racer scream "F-YEAH!" & want commit all sorts of vehicular debauchery. Just wish it was a coupe...
Old 08-22-13, 06:55 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So sick...lips sealed

sitting on custom Vossen's?!?
Old 08-22-13, 02:59 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The white one looks disgusting.